S-Works SL 2018

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Dogmatic13

by Dogmatic13

alexmcm09 wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:49 am
Finally received my Tarmac Pro, it was a long long wait after putting down the deposit in November.

I'm stoked with the paint scheme, photos definitely don't do it justice. It must add a ton of weight to the frame but damn it looks good. Specialized have really raised the bar on paint schemes of late - I've had lots of people ask if it's a custom paint job.

I'm still to change over the stock bars and stem to a set of Aerofly bars and Zipp Speed SL stem, just waiting on my bike shop to have time to internally route the bars.

Final weight should be a tick over 7kg with pedals included in a size 54, I'm pretty happy with that for a Pro level frame. Now to start saving for some ee brakes...

IMG_20180427_165352.jpg
agree on the paint scheme. saw one too at my lbs and that one is sick. i own a black bike now (who doesnt) so for my n+1 i wanted something with life. looked at almost all the makes, and IMO Pinarello, Colnago and Specialized are the ones with the best colorways. Maybe Look and Wilier to some extent. I was even considering the pink camo SL6!

Great choice dude :D

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

^^^ Definitely a great looking bike. I'm surprised to hear that it took you so long to get one. My LBS has had them since November and currently has a full size run on the shop floor ready to go. it is a great color scheme though. I've also seen the Red/white/black Pro model in person and IMO that looks much better in real life than pictures, as well.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alexmcm09

by alexmcm09

CrankAddictsRich wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:44 pm
^^^ Definitely a great looking bike. I'm surprised to hear that it took you so long to get one. My LBS has had them since November and currently has a full size run on the shop floor ready to go. it is a great color scheme though. I've also seen the Red/white/black Pro model in person and IMO that looks much better in real life than pictures, as well.
It seems they came into the UK in a very slow trickle. I went through a smaller boutique rather than one of the big box online bike stores as they include a proper in depth bike fit and swap out components (i.e. stem and handlebars) for free. I've also come to learn the value of a good relationship with your bike shop.

Plus this winter in the UK has been long, wet and icy. So having to wait a bit longer for the bike has been a blessing in disguise. I took the bike out for the first time today - absolutely worth the wait.

morganb

by morganb

alexmcm09 wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:00 pm
CrankAddictsRich wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:44 pm
It seems they came into the UK in a very slow trickle. I went through a smaller boutique rather than one of the big box online bike stores as they include a proper in depth bike fit and swap out components (i.e. stem and handlebars) for free. I've also come to learn the value of a good relationship with your bike shop.

Plus this winter in the UK has been long, wet and icy. So having to wait a bit longer for the bike has been a blessing in disguise. I took the bike out for the first time today - absolutely worth the wait.
They had weird availability and I think were only shipped to first tier dealers. I was waiting for one from my local shop and they went straight from availability late April to sold out.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

Ahhh... UK. That makes sense. My LBS is deifnitely a first tier dealer as well. They had a full size run on the SL6 Disc they day they were announced.

tommyb

by tommyb

Devastazione wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:43 am
tommyb wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:37 pm
Finally received and built this, and very happy with it. 5.81kg

Hot bike man. What skewers are you using ? Birthday is coming and wife need ideas.... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Thanks, skewers are Carbon-Ti :thumbup:

liam7020

by liam7020

@raph37 What length is that stem on your Black Inc integrated setup? Ta
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

alexmcm09

by alexmcm09

Just encountered an issue I hadn't thought about despite it being a feature I wanted on my new bike...

I specifically wanted a D-shaped seat post on my new bike (more aero, more compliance, perfect saddle alignment) but didn't think about how my rear light mount would sit against the flat back of the seat post. It appears it won't sit flush without rotating as I ride so I've had to purchase a saddle rail mount.

Just a heads up for those considering the SL6 - the seat post is definitely not compatible with all light mounts.

liam7020

by liam7020

alexmcm09 wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 8:21 am
Just encountered an issue I hadn't thought about despite it being a feature I wanted on my new bike...

I specifically wanted a D-shaped seat post on my new bike (more aero, more compliance, perfect saddle alignment) but didn't think about how my rear light mount would sit against the flat back of the seat post. It appears it won't sit flush without rotating as I ride so I've had to purchase a saddle rail mount.

Just a heads up for those considering the SL6 - the seat post is definitely not compatible with all light mounts.
I'm a tad old school but this is one of my major Room 101 issues. Why do all these new cyclists cover their high end race bikes with these dinky little lights, saddle packs, camera mounts etc etc etc. I KNOW the lights maybe make a bit of sense but Jesus people have a litle decorum! How to emasculate a beautiful bike! Would Mario or Eddy do it? You know the answer.
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

alexmcm09

by alexmcm09

liam7020 wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 8:38 am
alexmcm09 wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 8:21 am

I'm a tad old school but this is one of my major Room 101 issues. Why do all these new cyclists cover their high end race bikes with these dinky little lights, saddle packs, camera mounts etc etc etc. I KNOW the lights maybe make a bit of sense but Jesus people have a litle decorum! How to emasculate a beautiful bike! Would Mario or Eddy do it? You know the answer.
I think you'll find that even our fabled pros have to be sensible at times. Long solo training ride? You better believe the pros ride clinchers and strap on a saddle bag.

If you're training hard enough all year round lights are a necessity. Here in the UK it's bloody dark until fairly late in the morning for 6 months of the year. Some people like to train during the week before work - I'm not taking my chances with London drivers simply because a rear light might ruin the lines of my race bike.

Don't let what others do bother you mate, just drop the hammer, blow past these "new cyclists" and enjoy the open road.

Just remember, the "rules" are satire, not scripture.

P90Puma

by P90Puma

liam7020 wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 8:38 am
:unbelievable:

How many cars were on the road when Eddy or Mario rode?

First thing that goes on a bike should be day bright lights.

sychen

by sychen

P90Puma wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 9:10 pm

Lol.. I would love to see Mario and Eddy in Sydney (winter 5am rides) with no lights.

And yes pros do train with seat bags.. even frame pumps !
http://www.roadbikereview.com/reviews/w ... d-bike.jpg

I guess not all of us gets to train in sunshine.. just not that lucky (have career and life besides cycling).
Personally.. I have a seatroll/ swat tool integrated to cage/ Front and rear Fly12/6 light camera combo. The stock mount for Fly6 sits fine for the D shape seatpost on my Sl6 Disc. Never had an issue.

Just having the camera(s) and pointing that out to d**khead drivers tends to make them go away and stay away.

Unfortunately we are blessed here with an abundance tradies and truck drivers that believe ownership of the road for them is absolute/god given right and that bicycles have as much place on roads as cockroaches have in their kebabs.

alexmcm09

by alexmcm09

sychen wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 2:23 am
P90Puma wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 9:10 pm

Lol.. I would love to see Mario and Eddy in Sydney (winter 5am rides) with no lights.

And yes pros do train with seat bags.. even frame pumps !
http://www.roadbikereview.com/reviews/w ... d-bike.jpg

I guess not all of us gets to train in sunshine.. just not that lucky (have career and life besides cycling).
Personally.. I have a seatroll/ swat tool integrated to cage/ Front and rear Fly12/6 light camera combo. The stock mount for Fly6 sits fine for the D shape seatpost on my Sl6 Disc. Never had an issue.

Just having the camera(s) and pointing that out to d**khead drivers tends to make them go away and stay away.

Unfortunately we are blessed here with an abundance tradies and truck drivers that believe ownership of the road for them is absolute/god given right and that bicycles have as much place on roads as cockroaches have in their kebabs.
I know what you mean mate, I moved over to London from Sydney last year and I'm amazed by how much better London drivers are (which is saying something, because they're no angels here either).

I commuted 15km each way in Sydney, heading west from home in Surry Hills. The further west I got... The more I needed my lights at all times of day.

liam7020

by liam7020

No problem with lights, been using them for 40 years. But FFS not on your best 10k drool worthy race bike!!

mvcap

by mvcap

Saddle bag (is Mikel Landa a big enough pro?)

https://youtu.be/oIdlHlbSzqY

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com