S-Works SL 2018

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ak47

by ak47

Apparently there is new SL frame in the works for the 2018. We will see it this year. It will be superlight with one of the configurations being the lightest factory spec bike in the world. Some few details on this bike have been told to the people involved with Specialized, but that's all I know at the moment. Anyone knows more?

chris47

by chris47

It will probably use some of the tech used in the new epic hardtail, that had a frame weight of 875 grams

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

New Roubaix was released for 2017 season. New Tarmac and possibly Diverge will be released for 2018 season. Specialized marketing team rely on same marketing scheme as Apple. They get people excited ~ 4 weeks (if I'm not mistaken) before the release and release the product on a specific date!

There will be rumors but we won't know any details before the release date. From what I hear, their employees swear by confidentiality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

zappafile123

by zappafile123

I kinda hope they dont go down the weight-weenie route. For whats on the market so far, it seems that If you push too hard to get real frame weight into the low-mid 700s, something ends up getting compromised whether it be stiffness, handling or comfort. Personally I like Canyon/Cervelo's direction - make a true all-rounder i.e. fairly light, comfortable, stiff and a little aero. Obviously the Tarmac at present isnt very comfortable, light or aero (thats not to say its bad, its a very good frame). So there's plenty of scope for improvement.

I'd like to see some aero touches like a new cockpit, and slightly modified tube shapes - save us 10 watts or something. At the moment, the stiffness and responsiveness are very good, so keep that the same. Shave 100g off the frame (which is ~1000g as far as I've seen). Get rid of the OSBB platform and use something like BB86 or BB386. Finally make a flexy seatpost/post clamp design like Canyon. Do all that and it'll be amazing. I've just described the Canyon ultimate... woops
FactorOne|SartoSeta|StorckF.3|Enigma EliteHSS|SworksSL6|ColnagoC60/V3Rs|DeRosa Protos|BianchiXR4/2|BMCSLR01 16|Cdale EvoHM|Focus IzMax|RidleyHe SL/SLX|BH Ulight|BassoDiamante|Scapin DyseysS8|TimeRXRS/ZXRS|TCR SL|RidleyNoah|Look585|CerveloS5/S3

dynaserve

by dynaserve

zappafile123 wrote:I kinda hope they dont go down the weight-weenie route...Obviously the Tarmac at present isnt very comfortable, light or aero (thats not to say its bad, its a very good frame).

But surely if the Tarmac does for weight what the Venge did for aero, then everyone will be happy?

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

I have the 'SL5' Sworks (2 in fact) and love it.

Comfort - absolutely fine - the seatpost is 27.2 so there is some flex there especially using thin-walled carbon.

Aero - some aero touches were introduced with this model such as the fork and profiled seat stays.

Weight - nothing special; my 52 isn't much below 1000g. This is one area that could be improved as long as they don't go crazy and lose any of the other properties. Something like a real world 850g would be nice.

L3X

by L3X

mpulsiv wrote:New Roubaix was released for 2017 season. New Tarmac and possibly Diverge will be released for 2018 season. Specialized marketing team rely on same marketing scheme as Apple. They get people excited ~ 4 weeks (if I'm not mistaken) before the release and release the product on a specific date!

There will be rumors but we won't know any details before the release date. From what I hear, their employees swear by confidentiality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So basically they follow a schedule something like:
2017: release new 2018 Tarmac?
2018: release new 2019 Venge?
2019: release new 2020 Roubaix?

How to the TT bikes fit in since the Shiv is out for a while now as well.

ak47

by ak47

zappafile123 wrote:At the moment, the stiffness and responsiveness are very good, so keep that the same.

Forgot to add they also said that the frame will have best ever STW ratio achieved in any frame, "a level above competitors", but this should be taken with a grain of salt.

Arnoud

by Arnoud

Probably with a through axel as well for discs?

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk

Tracerboy

by Tracerboy

I really, really hope that Specialized make new Tarmac first real eTap frame without no neccesary cable ports 8)
There is also topic about new Cervelo R-series wich is also clean new look :thumbup:
I need new frame in the end of this year so these two are best options for me.

I think that new 2018 Tarmac S-works and new R-series Cervelo are quite similar when released
but cleaner look frame is winner to me.

1swiftvelo

by 1swiftvelo

New Tarmac is coming. Horizontal top tube and seat stays like the venge and Roubaix. Disc and rim brake.

CEVelo

by CEVelo

any idea when the new Tarmac would come? Summer 2017 or later?

vinuneuro

by vinuneuro

CEVelo wrote:any idea when the new Tarmac would come? Summer 2017 or later?

I think they normally release new bikes in Aug/Sep. My LBS said new Crux is certain to be released this year, dunno if true or not. Diverge is also due a redesign this year. I can't imagine they'll be releasing three new ones though.
2016 Diverge Expert

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

The Diverge is pretty new. My guess is they wait a year to see how the suspension stem Roubaix sells before updating the Diverge with or without that system.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

Specialized have been very good to me and are replacing my Sworks Tarmac SL5 frame (in OPQS colours) with a new one, but in white/blue/red. (Warranty).

I was planning to replace the OPQS with the new 2018 Sworks Tarmac, but this may change things now, we shall see. Keen to see what the new model will look like. I don't think they need to do much or they risk spoiling a winning formula.

Maybe a touch lighter a touch more aero, that's it.