S-Works SL 2018

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

RedRacer

by RedRacer

Who makes S-WORKS downtube decals for the SL6? My frameset is the matte black with refelctive S-WORKS lettering version but I want to cover over the blueish refelctive stuff with white or black. I have contacted a few decal makers but none of them seem to know whether or not they have the correct font and dimensions for the SL6.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

RedRacer wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:07 am
Who makes S-WORKS downtube decals for the SL6? My frameset is the matte black with refelctive S-WORKS lettering version but I want to cover over the blueish refelctive stuff with white or black. I have contacted a few decal makers but none of them seem to know whether or not they have the correct font and dimensions for the SL6.
Each model and size is different... at least in my experience.

Your best bet is to tape some tracing paper on the down tube and carefuly trace each letter. This will take into account the curve of the tube. Then scan the paper and create an outline.... If you've got a local sign or sticker shop, they should be able to do this and create vinyl decals. It would probably help if they add a tiny bit of stroke to the logo to make sure it covers each letter. I did something simialr with my black on black SL5 Tarmac.

before

after

when applying the decals, I'd recommend getting severals sets, just in case you make a mistake. At first, I tried to do the whole logo at one time. I lined it up at the middle, on the "O" but I was slightly off and by the time that slight degree of misplacement had extended out to the ends of the logo, I was off by a fair bit. I eventually settled on doing each letter on its own, so I could place it exactly where I need it. I'm pretty stoked on how mine came out.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

robeambro

by robeambro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hn8iPkm4I2s

Guys, here they show an SL6 with a new paintjob and they claim it is available now. Anyone heard about this?

EDIT: ok it's now available on Specy's website. Unfortunately not as a frameset..

RedRacer

by RedRacer

CrankAddictsRich wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:35 pm
RedRacer wrote:
Each model and size is different... at least in my experience.

Your best bet is to tape some tracing paper on the down tube and carefuly trace each letter. This will take into account the curve of the tube. Then scan the paper and create an outline.... If you've got a local sign or sticker shop, they should be able to do this and create vinyl decals. It would probably help if they add a tiny bit of stroke to the logo to make sure it covers each letter. I did something simialr with my black on black SL5 Tarmac.

after
Super info and your bike looks fantastic :thumbup:

I have never used tracing paper but I will try to track some down and see how it goes. There are plenty of sign shops in my area so hopefully one of them will want to help.

KotP

by KotP

RedRacer wrote:
You could contact this fellow weightweenie: funkyb

He has the vector files for the logos, he also did the vinyl lettering on his tarmac as you propose.

lovemyway

by lovemyway

KotP wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:11 am
RedRacer wrote:
You could contact this fellow weightweenie: funkyb

He has the vector files for the logos, he also did the vinyl lettering on his tarmac as you propose.
He said he will share the files which he never did.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

If the frames aren't the same size, you'll have to adjust the vector anyway... i had the vector file from when I did my Allez, which was a 54. When I was getting ready to do my Tarmac I cut vinyl and when I went to apply it to my tarmac, which is a 52, I realized that the sizing was different. When I held up the decal to my Shiv TT, I realized that too was different.

KotP

by KotP

lovemyway wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:42 am

He said he will share the files which he never did.
Ah, I didn't know the poster didn't follow through, when I read Redracer's post I remembered the funkyb post from a few months back....

liam7020

by liam7020

Any Tarmac users can give me a reasonable accuratereal world weight for Specialized's SL shallow drop bars. Billed as 200g by Spesh but then the SL6 was billed as sub 800g... Ta
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

Kabu

by Kabu

S-Works Shallow Bend Carbon Handlebars 400mm 201g
Attachments
IMG_20190128_191737.jpg

liam7020

by liam7020

Thank you sir, excellent information!
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

nemeseri

by nemeseri

Hey-hey. Is there anything special about the rear brake? The Sram S-900 direct mount brakes come with a brake nut, but they don't fit into the hole where you should mount the brakes.

fuel2000

by fuel2000

nemeseri wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:45 pm
Hey-hey. Is there anything special about the rear brake? The Sram S-900 direct mount brakes come with a brake nut, but they don't fit into the hole where you should mount the brakes.
I’m using the sram direct mount brakes and had no problem installing them. You are using the carbon bridge which came with the bike?

nemeseri

by nemeseri

fuel2000 wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:36 am
I’m using the sram direct mount brakes and had no problem installing them. You are using the carbon bridge which came with the bike?
Thanks, I think I figured it out... I bought the frame used and I didn't get the brake nuts that normaly come with the frameset (and sram included two with the brakes so that's why I was confused). Do I also need the carbon bridge for the S-900?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Jugi

by Jugi

According to the user manual (page 5 figure 3), the brake bridge is supposed to be used with all brake calipers.