S-Works SL 2018

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Stendhal

by Stendhal

taodemon wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:03 pm
Final build weight with pedals and garmin mount ended up being 7.14kg (15lbs 12 oz) down from 7.51kg (16lbs 9oz) with my SL5 frame.
Some of the dropped weight was from the EE brakes vs DA9100, though some weight was probably added by going with an 11-30 ultegra cassette instead of the old 11-28. The hed wheels don't look so great with the new frame compared to the old one which might make the upgrade to a set of clx50's happen sooner than I had planned. Bike still has the old plastic cages from my original Venge which I'll swap out soon too. Eventually I think I want to try etap on it but the wheels are my next priority.

DA9000 shifters / derailleurs
Sworks Crankset w/ power2max pm, praxis 52/36 rings
ultegra chain / cassette (11-30)
EE brakes
Aerofly bar
Sworks stem
Sworks power saddle
DA9100 pedals.
HED Jet5 wheels

Decision made: I purchased the SL6 frame pictured above today (well, not taodemon's bike, a copy :D). Taodemon, good choice in colors! Mine will be built with eTap, CLX 32 wheels, a very light Slle Italia saddle, and generic but quite good and light integrated stem \ bars on October 5. All of this comes from the existing Pinarello (frame for sale on eBay); only major change is to switch from eecycles center mount brakes to Dura Ace direct mount brakes. Estimated weight upon build, with pedals: 6.185 kg \ 13.64 lbs. Hoping this is correct!
Cannondale Supersixevo 4 (7.05 kg)
Retired: Chapter2, Tarmac SWorks SL6, Orbea, Dogma F8\F10, LOW, Wilier, Ridley Noah, Cervelo R3\R5\S2\Aspero, Time Fluidity, Lapierre Pulsium, Cyfac, Felt, Klein, Cannondale pre-CAAD aluminum

Stendhal

by Stendhal

IMG_0509.jpg
IMG_0507.jpg
Here is my new S-Works Tarmac SLC, size 56 “women’s” frame, built by LBS (Mike’s Bikes, Los Gatos CA) today but not yet ridden.

I sincerely thank everyone on this thread, and especially those who bought SL6s and reported on weights, for your guidance and information as I plotted this build. :thumbup: Bike fanatics may argue occasionally about engineering and style, but we really are the best people, because we provide information for free and because bikes are worth getting right! (Bikes are great exercise and can help save the world.) In order to pay back your help and help others considering bike purchases, I am reporting what I can on this build and related weights.

My prior bike was a Pinarello Dogma F10 (the frame is now on sale on eBay, very reasonable price). It is an outstanding bike, but, rightly or wrongly, I wanted the greater confidence riding downhill (plus more comfort) I think I can derive from direct mount brakes and the related wider tires. (A test ride suggested this effect was real.) I also like the aesthetics better, even though as noted in my posts above the best colors advertised on the Specialized site are not available in the real world. I also respect Specialized, which is a local company to me (a monthly ride in my bike club goes practically to its headquarters), and wanted to ride one of its bikes someday. Specialized finally allowed that because the SL6 test-rode brilliantly (in disc and rim brake versions) when the SL5 had been a huge, even sad disappointment to me.

Thus, the lowest weight possible was not the design goal here. Indeed, I deliberately took a major weight hit by switching from eecycles brakes to Dura Ace. That being said, the weight is higher than I had estimated, although within the range of the SL6 reports on this thread (there are 13 size 56 full bikes or frames): 6.48 kg on my home, hanging Park Tools scale. That is with pedals (I think it’s silly not to include pedals, which you need to ride a bike) but without the Garmin mount and bottle cage (37g) (I consider these extraneous to the bike weight). The weight was a bit higher at the stand-mounted bike shop scale but I’m sticking to my story!:) . I had estimated 6.29 kg or lower. This was based on:
  • knowing the frame, fork and post weight of the F10 (1037g, 400g, and 220g respectively)
  • knowing the actual total weight of the F10 (6.49 kg)
  • knowing the actual weight of the SL6 frame (see below)
  • estimating the fork and post weights of the SL6 based on the information in this thread
  • I moved most of the components over to the SL6 and hence that did not have a weight effect
  • Knowing or looking up the weight of the components that changed
I’m not sure what accounts for all the discrepancy. I know one reason: I mistakenly bought Pirelli P Zero Velo 4 season tires rather than the regular P Zero Velo tires (58 grams difference). Also, at the last minute, the LBS recommended the Praxis Works GXP to BB30 all-in-one BB converter (155g) rather than the lighter press-on converters that come with the bike (probably 50g). That was a big weight hit, but almost certainly a good engineering choice (and Praxis is a local company too). It also means I have a set of the Ceramic Speed ceramic bearings that came with the SL6 frame to sell. I thought I had taken that change into account, but perhaps under-estimated it.

If I want to reduce weight in the future, I’ll switch to a BB30 crankset (lighter, lighter bottom bracket) and fix the mistake on the tires (which I may have to do anyway for rolling resistance; I hated the only four season tires I ever used before, Continental Gatorskins.) Time will tell whether this new bike is just a way station to going full disc, damn the weight penalty (I like light and need light, I’m 97 kg but working on it!).

The actual frame weight as weighed at the LBS is 870 grams, but this included a cable through the top tube used as a guide for the brake cable. Hence I estimate the frame at 860 grams real weight, the same as Taedemon’s identical frame reported on page 87 or so. Other components with weights where I know them (** = weight weenie part IMO):
  • SRAM Red eTap drivetrain (50 x 36 GXP, 11-28 Red cassette)
  • Dura Ace direct mount rim brakes (never used yet!)
  • Roval CLX 32 wheels (the front weighed 570 grams actual vs. 550 grams Specialized quoted weight)
  • Woodman skewers (quoted 60 grams, someday I’ll weigh them) (they are outstanding!) **
  • Generic integrated stem \ bars bought on eBay from Shenzen, PRC (about 320 grams) – highly recommended
  • Look Carbon blade pedals (not weighed but rated at 210 grams)
  • 2016 Selle San Marco ASPIDE Carbon FX Narrow Saddle (actual 120 grams, a bit higher than quoted) **
  • Pirelli P-Zero Velo 4S tires (alas!) (quoted 250g, did not weigh real world)
  • Schwalbe SV15 20-28 tubes (110 grams real weight)
  • Aican brake cables
  • Supacaz tape, bar ends, and top cap (will pay some weight penalty for aesthetics)

Sorry for writing so much ...I’m a lawyer, it’s ingrained! :smartass: Better to be complete.
Retired: Chapter2, Tarmac SWorks SL6, Orbea, Dogma F8\F10, LOW, Wilier, Ridley Noah, Cervelo R3\R5\S2\Aspero, Time Fluidity, Lapierre Pulsium, Cyfac, Felt, Klein, Cannondale pre-CAAD aluminum

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Stendhal wrote:...Sorry for writing so much ...I’m a lawyer, it’s ingrained! :smartass: Better to be complete.
Thanks for being complete.
Did you remove the lawyer tabs? :)
Curious as to why you just dismissed the higher weight reported by the bike shop scale vs the weight you got from your Park scale. Think I would have to know for sure which one was “right” rather than just go with the lighter of the two. I had/have a Park scale but I stopped using it when it would report different weights for the exact same bike. You could weigh the bike and note the result. Tare the scale, then weigh it again. Different result, and not just a few grams. Tare it again, repeat and yet another result. I consider the scale broken and got another one, the Feedback Sports Ultimate scale. It reports the same weight consistently for the same bike. And I always weigh the final build, completely finished, ready to ride, including pedals and water bottle cages... that is the weight. The difference between that weight and the sum of all the individual component weights I consider to be cumulative rounding errors.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

yinya

by yinya

Give the Pirelli 4S a chance, they roll surprisingly smooth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stendhal

by Stendhal

yinya wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:58 am
Give the Pirelli 4S a chance, they roll surprisingly smooth

I rode them today. Very smoth, especially on rougher surfaces. They don't quite match the frame, though, and hence I swappred them out for the regular Pirelli Velo 28s at a 30g or so weight savings (the regular 28s weighed materially more than their quoted weights(. I'll use the 4S tires when it gets colder and perhaps rainier, say in December

calnago, you are someone of whom I was thinking when I praised the posters on this site. You almost convinced me to try a Colnago (I have had bad experiences with lugged bikes.). As to weighing, I think there is an inescapable judgment call on what counts. Pedals yes, as they are necessayr to ride, but personally I have ridden without a cage. What about saddle bags -- count those? However, in respect of your judgment, I will reporrt the weight with the cage and mount. After swapping out the tires per above, I stayed at 6.48 kg.

As to scales, my home scale is consistent, and as illustrated above it's what I use to weigh bikes after changes are made.

taodemon

by taodemon

Stendhal wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:33 am
Here is my new S-Works Tarmac SLC, size 56 “women’s” frame, built by LBS (Mike’s Bikes, Los Gatos CA) today but not yet ridden.
Looks great. that bottle cage matches perfectly and I like the cable housing too. If I hadn't already picked up a set of the sworks carbon cages I would probably go for that same bottle cage. I did put on some supcaz tape but I don't think I like the direction of how the bike store wrapped it. I think the pink should be at the top and transition down to black and I'll likely have them redo it in the spring. I ordered a set of the black HED stickers which I will put on once I have some time to clean the bike from the last few messy rides.

If you have had some time to get more rides in how are you liking it compared to the F10?
Attachments
Top of local mountain.
Top of local mountain.
Great River Ride 2018
Great River Ride 2018

Stendhal

by Stendhal

taodemon wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:45 pm
Stendhal wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:33 am
Looks great. that bottle cage matches perfectly and I like the cable housing too. If I hadn't already picked up a set of the sworks carbon cages I would probably go for that same bottle cage. I did put on some supcaz tape but I don't think I like the direction of how the bike store wrapped it. I think the pink should be at the top and transition down to black and I'll likely have them redo it in the spring. I ordered a set of the black HED stickers which I will put on once I have some time to clean the bike from the last few messy rides.

If you have had some time to get more rides in how are you liking it compared to the F10?
Over 300 miles in before the smoke here shut down riding for the past week. The ride is snappier with a smidge less aero. The handling is surreal -- it is as if the headset has ball bearings, it is so smooth and maneuverable. The larger tires are a benefit, but not as much as hoped insofar as the clearance at 28 mm is so small that leaves have gotten stuck in the gap and stayed there until I stopped and removed them.

eric01

by eric01

Anyone running Nokons or jagwire links with your sl6? Can you run the full liner end to end?

Have a frame on its way and planning the build.
Specialized Tarmac Sworks SL6, Moots Compact, Carl Strong Titanium

Jugi

by Jugi

eric01 wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:03 pm
Anyone running Nokons or jagwire links with your sl6? Can you run the full liner end to end?
For brake housing I quess you could run full length liner, but it’s not designed that way. The frameset includes proprietary short liners which are meant to be used at the housing stops (they end up running inwards from the housing stops). I built mine with PowerCordz and Jagwire beads, Jagwire liner for the outer sections, those proprietary liners and no liners inside.

I have eTap, so no experience on shifter housing install.

CallumRD1

by CallumRD1

Stendhal wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:04 am
Over 300 miles in before the smoke here shut down riding for the past week. The ride is snappier with a smidge less aero. The handling is surreal -- it is as if the headset has ball bearings, it is so smooth and maneuverable. The larger tires are a benefit, but not as much as hoped insofar as the clearance at 28 mm is so small that leaves have gotten stuck in the gap and stayed there until I stopped and removed them.
The headset does have ball bearings...

ohjinguh9

by ohjinguh9

eric01 wrote:

Run the full liner thru the frame for the rear brake and links from the brake lever to the front frame opening and then from the rear frame opening to the rear brake

Stendhal

by Stendhal

eric01 wrote:

I am running Aican, which is a link system like Nokon and Jagwire (but much lighter). So far, it works great. That being said, as I have eTap, I am using it only for the brakes. Good luck, you'll enjoy the bike! :beerchug:

Stendhal

by Stendhal

CallumRD1 wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:14 pm
Stendhal wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:04 am
The headset does have ball bearings...
Duh, shows you what I know! :noidea:

DartanianX

by DartanianX

Direct mount hangers for specialized bikes now exist.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

r3m

by r3m

I sold my dura ace 9100 brake and i bought a 2nd ee brake for my tarmac sl6.

I ride with the 56' size but i have an issue when i try to install the rear brake.

I tried to add some length to my ilink but i does not change anything. When i try to brake the lever is really hard.

I dont understand because with the size 56 I do not normally need the adapter. Any ideas?

Thanks