4iiii dual sided power meter, has anyone ordered one?

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
kulivontot

by kulivontot

Some updates from using the 4iii a few times. DA 9000 weight is 670g for the full crankset, 172.5mm w/ 52/36.
Power numbers are in line with what I was getting with the stages, although I still have yet to do the head to head single sided comparison.
I'm seeing a consistent 51-55% favoring of the lr balance during some conditions, interesting but not super useful.
If the comparison with stages yields a similar bias, then I'll consider the unit sufficiently accurate. It'd be interesting to have a controlled setup like the friction facts guy to do controlled experiments.
Other than that, I can confirm that I have fewer dropouts due to interference as compared to stages (indoors the garmin on my handlebars would drop data as compared to lying in the floor next to the bottom bracket). Also zero load calibration works with garmin 500 instead of locking up like stages. I will report more once I have taken some data comparisons.

kwakekeham

by kwakekeham

kulivontot wrote:Also zero load calibration works with garmin 500 instead of locking up like stages. I will report more once I have taken some data comparisons.

I've never experienced locking up but there is an unresolved bug in the Edge 500. If you have a heart rate monitor paired to it but you're not wearing it (or it can't find it), it blocks sending the "calibrate" (zeroing) command because it's searching for the HRM continuously. It's the most annoying unresolved bug I know of. The head unit sits there and does nothing, no response from the pm because the pm never got the command. Whenever I hear "I can't calibrate" first question is "do you have an Edge 500" and second is do you have a HRM paired you're not using. Resolves most PM/Edge 500 problems.

Though sounds like you might be experiencing something else.

kulivontot

by kulivontot

I'm well aware of that problem and that is exactly what I'm referring to. 4iiii doesn't do this.

bremerradkurier

by bremerradkurier

FSA Powerbox looks like a fantastic deal at $600 aluminum, $900 carbon, but I'd really like to see a DC Rainmaker review on it.