Ultegra mechanical bike, how easy to convert to SRAM eTap?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Shrike

by Shrike

Thinking to sell the Ultegra shifters rear and front derailleur and swap them for eTap. Can get eTap for £1000 here. Maybe get £250 for the Ultegra bits, they're brand new, unridden?

Think it'd be worth it? Like the way it's wireless and easy to setup apparently. Only thing that's tempting me. Or maybe ride the Ultegra until summer as it's not worth much anyway and wait to see if the eTap price drops further?

Is it okay to use the Ultegra chainset and brakes with eTap until I'm ready to fork out for something posher?

Picking up the bike tomorrow, wondering what to do with it groupset wise. Ultimately I do was electronic shifting, but not really in a hurry so.. and there's gonna be some mucky riding for a few months yet (even though I have a winter bike, but still want to take the new bike out a bit too).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sungod

by sungod

chainset will be ok

brake compatibility depends on which generation shimano you have (probably also what set up and feel you prefer), see this discussion for instance...

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=143226

...worst case you'll need to add some sram calipers

with the pound's brexit-driven plummet vs. usd i'd go for it now, especially with new year sales and discount codes to be had

TarugoKing

by TarugoKing

Your ULTEGRA BRAKES will be fine. I had BR-6800 on mine before I upgraded to BR-9000.
I also use CS-9000 11-28 with KMC X11SL DLC chain with eTap. Works as advertised. :thumbup:

Shrike

by Shrike

Thanks guys.. didn't account for Brexit price hikes. Was counting on the price coming down. You're right, price may well go up :x

JackRussellRacing

by JackRussellRacing

IMHO, Ultegra brakes are better "feeling" than the ones which come in eTAP. As far as building the bike, eTap is a breeze. Pay careful attention to the videos online about RD and FD alignment, and you'll have it knocked out in a jiffy.

stockae92

by stockae92

So the "cheapest way" to do eTap? Just both shifters, fd and rd?

Shrike

by Shrike

@stockae yep, just those 3 bits and do the chainset later. Brakes later if they do them. Not sure if they're making some for this groupset or not..

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com