Canyon Ultimate SLX 8.0 steerer plug adjustment

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
peterpen
Posts: 1178
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2005 3:34 am
Location: Northern California

by peterpen

Just got a Canyon Ultimate 8.0 SLX and I'm trying to figure out how to drop the steerer plug low enough to use the super long bolt for the top cap. Seems like it might be glued in there? There's a 5mm that loosens the center but plug itself won't budge.

Note that this is the 8.0 with standard stem & headset (not integrated bar/stem.)

TIA

robertg
Posts: 482
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:21 pm
Location: NJ, USA
Contact:

by robertg

Can you post a pic?

peterpen
Posts: 1178
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2005 3:34 am
Location: Northern California

by peterpen

Will do so tonight, thanks - away from the bike ATM

gdnicoll
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri May 08, 2015 8:32 pm

by gdnicoll

I have the same bike and just cut the steerer 2 cm shorter. I was able to loosen off the 5mm Allen bolt and then carefully push the plug down 2 cm, using the same Allen key, then tighten up again, all ok.
I have sent an email query to canyon though, because I would like to see some technical information about the plug, particularly the optimal depth.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nonamed
Posts: 96
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:45 pm

by nonamed

Please post some photos how the standard stem looks like on new Ultimate.


Wysłane z iPhone za pomocą Tapatalk

peterpen
Posts: 1178
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2005 3:34 am
Location: Northern California

by peterpen

Yep, Canyon said just to loosen the 5mm, thentap it down gently. You can adjust the height back up if it goes too low by simple leaving the 5mm loose and tightening via the top tap bolt, which will pull the plug upward.

I'm going to source a shorter top cap bolt, which should allow the plug to be at same height as both stem bolts.


gdnicoll wrote:I have the same bike and just cut the steerer 2 cm shorter. I was able to loosen off the 5mm Allen bolt and then carefully push the plug down 2 cm, using the same Allen key, then tighten up again, all ok.
I have sent an email query to canyon though, because I would like to see some technical information about the plug, particularly the optimal depth.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gdnicoll
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri May 08, 2015 8:32 pm

by gdnicoll

ImageImageImage

Does anyone know how those o-rings are intended to be used?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gdnicoll
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri May 08, 2015 8:32 pm

by gdnicoll

Good tip for getting it out, was wondering about that!

peterpen wrote:Yep, Canyon said just to loosen the 5mm, thentap it down gently. You can adjust the height back up if it goes too low by simple leaving the 5mm loose and tightening via the top tap bolt, which will pull the plug upward.

I'm going to source a shorter top cap bolt, which should allow the plug to be at same height as both stem bolts.





Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nonamed
Posts: 96
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:45 pm

by nonamed

gdnicoll wrote:Image

Does anyone know how those o-rings are intended to be used?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is Ultimate from 2016 ?

gdnicoll
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri May 08, 2015 8:32 pm

by gdnicoll

Yes, 2016/17 model year. Cf slx 8.0 di2. The acros "the clamp" that was used on the previous model generation is no longer used. Now a much more typical headset. Also the headset bearings are no longer pressed into the head tube, they now lift out by hand. Hurrah.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nonamed
Posts: 96
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:45 pm

by nonamed

gdnicoll wrote:Yes, 2016/17 model year. Cf slx 8.0 di2. The acros "the clamp" that was used on the previous model generation is no longer used. Now a much more typical headset. Also the headset bearings are no longer pressed into the head tube, they now lift out by hand. Hurrah.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for info.
I thought the headset cover (under the stem) on Ultimate 2016/17 has different shape (not round like Yours) but more oval.

I saw it here (on Canyon page):
Image

Does Canyon provide different covers/spacers with Ultimate? :?

Whats size of Your frame and Your height also? :)

gdnicoll
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri May 08, 2015 8:32 pm

by gdnicoll

Good spotting and I can't explain the difference.
I have a medium frame, swapped the stem to 110 mm, and am 180 cm. A very good fit. Cheers.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nonamed
Posts: 96
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:45 pm

by nonamed

gdnicoll wrote:Good spotting and I can't explain the difference.
I have a medium frame, swapped the stem to 110 mm, and am 180 cm. A very good fit. Cheers.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Size dillema here . I am 178cm with 83.5cm inseam. And as always.. between S and M size frame according to Canyon.
Cannot decide.

Do You know Your saddle height and Inseam?
Last edited by nonamed on Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

dondomingo
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:06 pm

by dondomingo

nonamed wrote:
gdnicoll wrote:Good spotting and I can't explain the difference.
I have a medium frame, swapped the stem to 110 mm, and am 180 cm. A very good fit. Cheers.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Size dillema here . I am 178cm with 83.5cm inseam. And as always.. between S and M size frame according to Canyon.
Cannot decide.


My dad is the same. He rides M.

Bordcla
Posts: 150
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:42 pm

by Bordcla

For the life of me, I can't move the steerer plug up. It seems stuck there. Any suggestions?

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post