FAILURE Shimano Cranksets

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.

Moderator: robbosmans

jamesstirling
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:53 pm

by jamesstirling

Update: Shimano have accepted my crank as a warranty claim. Only thing is, it's out of stock until the end of the month.

by Weenie


g32ecs
Posts: 707
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:50 am

by g32ecs

jamesstirling wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:41 am
Mine failed 2 days ago. Bike is 5 years old but only covered circa 6,000 miles.
I'm trying for warranty even though I know its only 2 years, but I do not think they have been used excessively.

Also got a nice shiner on my leg for my troubles.
Big shout out to JeJames....they lent me some 105 cranks to get me by! :thumbup:

WhatsApp Image 2020-06-03 at 08.27.59.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-06-03 at 08.41.13.jpeg
Ouch.

Ive also had my Shimano 6800 crank for 5-6yrs now, right around the 13,000 mi mark. Something tells me I should replace this with the R8000 ASAP, but its an unexpected expense I don't want to pay for at the moment

jamesstirling
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:53 pm

by jamesstirling

g32ecs wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:33 pm
jamesstirling wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:41 am
Mine failed 2 days ago. Bike is 5 years old but only covered circa 6,000 miles.
I'm trying for warranty even though I know its only 2 years, but I do not think they have been used excessively.

Also got a nice shiner on my leg for my troubles.
Big shout out to JeJames....they lent me some 105 cranks to get me by! :thumbup:

WhatsApp Image 2020-06-03 at 08.27.59.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-06-03 at 08.41.13.jpeg
Ouch.

Ive also had my Shimano 6800 crank for 5-6yrs now, right around the 13,000 mi mark. Something tells me I should replace this with the R8000 ASAP, but its an unexpected expense I don't want to pay for at the moment

Go for 105 R7000, or even 5800. From what i've been told the manufacturing process for these is different so do not fail in such a catastrophic way. I will be 'downgrading' to 105 as the R8000 still has reports of failure.

g32ecs
Posts: 707
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:50 am

by g32ecs

What were you doing when this happened?

I live in Canada and my RB is stored in fhe the basement which can reach all the way down to 0c, then now we're back up to 35c. Havent heard anything funny or felt anything so far, knock on wood.

Glad you're ok

robertbb
Posts: 1616
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:35 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

by robertbb

jamesstirling wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:58 pm
g32ecs wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:33 pm
jamesstirling wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:41 am
Mine failed 2 days ago. Bike is 5 years old but only covered circa 6,000 miles.
I'm trying for warranty even though I know its only 2 years, but I do not think they have been used excessively.

Also got a nice shiner on my leg for my troubles.
Big shout out to JeJames....they lent me some 105 cranks to get me by! :thumbup:

WhatsApp Image 2020-06-03 at 08.27.59.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-06-03 at 08.41.13.jpeg
Ouch.

Ive also had my Shimano 6800 crank for 5-6yrs now, right around the 13,000 mi mark. Something tells me I should replace this with the R8000 ASAP, but its an unexpected expense I don't want to pay for at the moment

Go for 105 R7000, or even 5800. From what i've been told the manufacturing process for these is different so do not fail in such a catastrophic way. I will be 'downgrading' to 105 as the R8000 still has reports of failure.
To the best of my knowledge, R7000 is made the same way. 5800 is safe.

User avatar
js
Posts: 701
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:57 pm
Location: Canada

by js

NDS Failure from July this year - DA 9100.

Four months later, and I'm still waiting for the replacement...


Image

Image

baldy
Posts: 126
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:01 pm

by baldy

And this is why I buy Campagnolo. Never had any of these issues in over 40 years of riding with lots of different ranges of cranksets.

RDY
Posts: 166
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:31 pm

by RDY

js wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:25 pm
NDS Failure from July this year - DA 9100.

Four months later, and I'm still waiting for the replacement...


Image

Image
That one's pretty scary. Usually they split in the thick part further up, which is less likely to suffer sudden catastrophic failure.

You're probably in for a long wait. Magene told me it's late Jan or early Feb before they have any new stock of their Shimano based power meters -- because cranks from Shimano keep getting delayed.
Last edited by RDY on Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

XCProMD
Posts: 958
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:25 am
Location: Cantabria

by XCProMD

Yup, big *f##k* right now at the factory. Good luck getting a replacement.


Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

AMGRoadster
Posts: 203
Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:57 am

by AMGRoadster

Pros, enthusiasts, weight weenies are no longer riding the inferior technology of aluminum frames. So why is anyone accepting aluminum crank arms? Seems to me it has been proven time and time again that aluminum is not up to the stresses and fatigues much more rapidly than admitted.

ipenguinking
Posts: 584
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2005 5:14 pm
Location: Sunny So Cal

by ipenguinking

Shimano will keep making aluminum DA and Ultegra cranks as long as the production stays in Japan. It's simply too expensive to make carbon stuff in Japan.
Last edited by ipenguinking on Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

RDY
Posts: 166
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:31 pm

by RDY

ipenguinking wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:03 am
Shimano will keep making aluminum DA and Ultegra cranks as long as the production stays in Japan. It's simply too expensive to make carbon stuff in Japan.
Almost all the carbon fibres used in bikes are made in Japan ...

There's no particular reason why the finished products (including resin) would be too expensive to make in Japan, especially given the level of automation and relatively low manual labour costs (relative to Western Europe - where more carbon production will be on-shored soon) available to Japanese industry.

Besides, Shimano have factories all over the place.

RDY
Posts: 166
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:31 pm

by RDY

ipenguinking wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:03 am
Shimano will keep making aluminum DA and Ultegra cranks as long as the production stays in Japan. It's simply too expensive to make carbon stuff in Japan.

Almost all the carbon fibres used in bikes are made in Japan ...

There's no particular reason why the finished products (including resin) would be too expensive to make in Japan, especially given the level of automation and relatively low manual labour costs (relative to Western Europe - where more carbon production will be on-shored soon) available to Japanese industry.

Besides, Shimano have factories all over the place.

AMGRoadster wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:35 am
Pros, enthusiasts, weight weenies are no longer riding the inferior technology of aluminum frames. So why is anyone accepting aluminum crank arms? Seems to me it has been proven time and time again that aluminum is not up to the stresses and fatigues much more rapidly than admitted.
The problem is with Shimano's Hollowtech. Depending on application, Aluminium / Steel and occasionally Titanium are used where strength and durability is needed. Not carbon. Forged multi-piece glued aluminium cranks (Hollowtech) are lighter than solid forged cranks, and MUCH cheaper than CNC aluminium cranks. Forged solid, or CNC aluminium cranks do not have these issues.

alcatraz
Posts: 3464
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:19 am

by alcatraz

I'm curious about the failure demography.

Are they all riders over 80kg with sprint-like riding styles?

What's the lightest rider to ever have a shimano crank failure?

I'm not saying this is the cause but I'm just interested in if there's a pattern.

hannawald
Posts: 1083
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:28 pm
Location: Czech Republic

by hannawald

I have never heard of somebody having crack on Shimano cranks and it is by far the most used crankset..is it connected to some specific humid climate or so?
Btw Dura Ace is still among the lightest cranks and using 24mm heavy axle..it doesn't sound as old technology they use for getting money..which 24mm cranks are on par with Dura Ace in terms of weight and stiffness? What other cranks would you buy for BB86 frame for 400 euros to combine with Shimano di2 system?

by Weenie


Post Reply