Etap on campy freehubs.

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
Post Reply
Calvaroz
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:41 am

by Calvaroz

I couldn't find a answer so i hope some people in this situation could chime in.

my 3 road bikes are in campy and i accumulated some wheels but recently i was considering getting sram etap for my next bike.


Would I be able to switch any wheels regardless what cassette is on, of course with proper adjustement?
According to this article it shouldn't be a problem, but i am not totally convinced since it isn't exactly the same spacing between cogs: http://fitwerx.com/campagnolo-shimano-a ... patiblity/

If i understand well how etap is set, you could micro-adjust at every cog to have a perfect shift, at least noiseless.
That should mean i could swap any wheelset without any concern.

For etap users who have tried switching between campy/shimano/sram cassettes, is it working well? is there anything that i missed?

by Weenie


User avatar
sugarkane
in the industry
Posts: 1800
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:14 am
Location: SYD
Contact:

by sugarkane

Works really well I'm using campag chain too. I got between campag and shim wheels and it's fine.. Minor adjustment is all 2 clicks

User avatar
bikerjulio
Posts: 1901
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:38 pm
Location: Welland, Ontario

by bikerjulio

Ever since Shimano followed Campy's lead into 11-speed many years ago (6 or 7?), this question has been coming up. As a reader of all the pieces that have been written, I can say that as a Campy user myself, I would have no hesitation in fitting eTap to a Campy setup. Perhaps there is a reader here who has personal experience.

Your link simply confirmed what has been researched many times
So, we started swapping wheels between three bikes 11 speed bikes (one SRAM, one Shimano and one Campagnolo) on the workstand. It presented no problems whatsoever; you could get a decent shift with any 11 speed wheel on any 11 speed bike in the stand. However, what works on the workstand may not work so well under actual riding conditions, when torque and weight are applied. So, outside I went with these combinations. Except for the usual niggling problems that occur when swapping one brand of wheel for another, requiring derailleur adjustments to account for cassette placement, the various combinations worked fine.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

wingguy
Posts: 4198
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:43 pm

by wingguy

Calvaroz wrote:my 3 road bikes are in campy and i accumulated some wheels but recently i was considering getting sram etap for my next bike.

Would I be able to switch any wheels regardless what cassette is on, of course with proper adjustement?

I've ridden mechanical Red22 with a Campag cassette for a season and indexing was perfect all across the cassette.

I'm pretty sure the c2c sprocket spacings and overall width between all 11sp groups are functionally identical.

stormur
Posts: 1182
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:50 pm
Location: FIN

by stormur

They're not.
Going this way or another ( Campa on Shimano/Sram cassette or reverse ) you'll notice more noice from chain&cassette on certain cogs, and shifting performance decrease as well. Adjust to your preference where it will be ;) but it will. Difference between spacing and cassette width is tiny, but noticeable. It's simply not this "working culture" as homogenic Campagnolo or Shimano. Sram users will be most happy : American cassettes never been known as "silent" nor "smooth& fast shifting".

Small disclaimer : I'm used to different levels of "perfect". Most of them I wouldn't describe even as "satisfactory"... so take a margin for it. Bigger- better ;)

From strictly functional point of view it is possible to achieve very very good shifting performance between two systems : it require perfect RD hanger alignment and bit more time for indexing adjustment, best tested on route, not stand. Chain will also make a difference. IMO chain should "suit" cassette ( so Campa cassette-> Campa chain ).
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain


I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

User avatar
sugarkane
in the industry
Posts: 1800
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:14 am
Location: SYD
Contact:

by sugarkane

bikerjulio wrote:Ever since Shimano followed Campy's lead into 11-speed many years ago (6 or 7?), this question has been coming up. As a reader of all the pieces that have been written, I can say that as a Campy user myself, I would have no hesitation in fitting eTap to a Campy setup. Perhaps there is a reader here who has personal experience.

Your link simply confirmed what has been researched many times
So, we started swapping wheels between three bikes 11 speed bikes (one SRAM, one Shimano and one Campagnolo) on the workstand. It presented no problems whatsoever; you could get a decent shift with any 11 speed wheel on any 11 speed bike in the stand. However, what works on the workstand may not work so well under actual riding conditions, when torque and weight are applied. So, outside I went with these combinations. Except for the usual niggling problems that occur when swapping one brand of wheel for another, requiring derailleur adjustments to account for cassette placement, the various combinations worked fine.



Perhaps like me.. It works, also above category recommend it...

User avatar
ergott
Posts: 2867
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:03 am
Location: Islip, NY
Contact:

by ergott

I had to micro adjust my setup to get a Campagnolo equipped wheel dialed in on my etap setup. Doesn't take much, but a click or two an any one of the positions that doesn't shift fast enough is all that's needed.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

bremerradkurier
Posts: 273
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:18 pm

by bremerradkurier

Wouldn't brake caliper tension release be a PITA since E-tap levers don't have the release button that Campy levers have?

User avatar
bikerjulio
Posts: 1901
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:38 pm
Location: Welland, Ontario

by bikerjulio

bremerradkurier wrote:Wouldn't brake caliper tension release be a PITA since E-tap levers don't have the release button that Campy levers have?


If you have the pads set very close, then yes I guess wheel changes might be harder. Personally I like the pads further away and never use the lever brake release so it wouldn't be an issue.

If it's a problem then I guess a switch to SRAM brakes would be in order.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

liam7020
Posts: 899
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:04 am

by liam7020

Works perfectly well unless you're so OCD you spend your whole ride listening for the slightest noise deviation from your drive train! And the caliper opening thing no biggy either.
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

Shrike
Posts: 1393
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:08 pm

by Shrike

Going to necro this in the hope some guys have had experience running campag free hub/cassettes with eTap.

Thinking to buy a Campag free hub wheel (on sale) and run it with eTap.

Liveable or is it going to be a mess?

964Cup
Posts: 196
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:31 am

by 964Cup

It's fine. You'll not be able to tell the difference. I swap Campag (Record and Chorus cassettes) wheels onto my S3 with eTap and my R5Ca with Di2, and Shimano/SRAM (mostly XG1190, but also PG1170 and Ultegra) onto my Excel with 2015 SR. I honestly can't always remember which combination I'm running.

c50jim
Posts: 983
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:42 am
Location: Calgary

by c50jim

I've had a travel bike (Moots with S&S couplings for several years). After having my LBS install new cables last year, I found it really hard to reconnect the cables. So when the bike came home from last winter's sojourn in Maui, I had my LBS install etap shifters, derailleurs and brakes. Stuck with my White 46/30 crank and Campy Record hubs and 11-32 cassette. The bike has been ridden about 1,000 km so far with that set up with no problems. And it sure is easier to put the bike together after removing it from its case.

After over 20 years on Campy with a couple of diversions to Di2, I think I'd only buy etap for new bikes. It just works really well.

by Weenie


Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post