Mother of God. What happened to my bike [pic]

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

glepore

by glepore

If it fell out cleanly, get some jb weld and weld it back in...it'll be fine, it was just bonded in in the first place.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

moonoi

by moonoi

Unfortunately I was in the middle of nowhere and had to ride 30km back to civilization, which has resulted in some damage to the carbon which the insert was bonded to. Not been able to source JB Weld in Thailand, is there any other product name that it goes under that I can check?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mattr

by mattr

Can you get Araldite?
Or any other high strength two part epoxy.

And you could have just sandwiched it all together and taken it easy on the way home. By the looks of that dropout you might now need to get a proper repair or a warranty replacement.

moonoi

by moonoi

I did try to sandwich it in, but it wouldn't stay, every time I slid the wheel in to place it would just fly out, it's pretty hard to do on your own. Guess I'll have to see what Specialized say.

I suppose the only good thing is the wife has authorized a new frame if they say it's not repairable and it's not covered under warranty.

beanbiken

by beanbiken

moonoi wrote:Funny I had something similar happen to my tarmac SL4 today, never used on a turbo trainer. Got a puncture during my regular Sunday morning ride, popped the wheel out and fixed the flat, putting the wheel back in the metal insert just fell off! Been told that it means the frame is toast, but will confirm with the specialized dealer later in the week :-(

Wonder if a situation like this would be covered by Giant's lifetime warranty or they would argue misuse/abuse............ :?:
BB

Coffee & carbon

moonoi

by moonoi

For me it's hard to say either way, in my case I did nothing different than normal and it broke off, bike has done around 15000km so I don't think they can argue it's normal wear and tear either, as my friends has done 50000km no problem.

brianb

by brianb

just noticed the same on my 2011 super six, which has never been on an indoor trainer, but has done around 55,000 kms.

moonoi

by moonoi

Dropped it off this morning, they said the damage is only cosmetic and they'll repair under warranty. Pick it up tomorrow, result!

Shrike

by Shrike

Right then. Metal insert from other side dropped off this morning when changing the wheel. Not from trainer, just after normal ride. Came out clean, just like moonoi's. Will upload pic later. So seems it's just a bad glue job like guys we're saying earlier. What's the absolute strongest glue I can use to glue it back on? Still haven't got part for original side yet, Workswell ignored my second email :P

Side note, can cold weather affect the glue? Riding around 0 to -2 recently..

mattr

by mattr

Cold weather shouldn't affect it. Unless it's a diabolically bad glue job. Which it seems to be.

Can you use the freshly fallen off piece to get a couple of new bits made so you have some spares, and a correctly shaped piece to start with for fitting to the other side? (Some gentle filing and trimming to get it round the screw head)

Any two pack epoxy should be strong enough if the surface is cleaned and prepped properly.

icenutter

by icenutter

wingguy wrote:
martinko wrote:It might not be, because carbon frames tend to have it forbidden to use them with indoor trainer.

Do they though? I have never seen that actually stated in an owners manual or warranty terms.

2015 Canyon owners manual

spud

by spud

I would look for something like a Loctite Hysol E-120 or E-20 epoxy. Make sure you give some tooth to the stainless bonding area with a file, perhaps a little on the carbon area, then clean both thoroughly with Acetone before bonding. Then leave it alone until it is fully cured.

asc8ic

by asc8ic

Use Cold mounting resin to attach them.
Like a epoxy bond. It will stick nicely.

Flapmeat

by Flapmeat

JB Weld will never let that sucker break loose!

mattr

by mattr

Not hanger. Read the thread, look at the pictures.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com