Mother of God. What happened to my bike [pic]

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jekyll man

by jekyll man

martinko wrote:
wingguy wrote:
Shrike wrote:Too tired last night to search the link for a part, will try today. Emailed Workswell to see if they had a spare part..

On any major brand that would be a warranty frame replacement.

It might not be, because carbon frames tend to have it forbidden to use them with indoor trainer.
This might be one of the reasons why. I have never thought why should there be a such problem.

To be fair, a neo isn't an ordinary trainer that clamps by compressing the skewer.
Official cafe stop tester

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Svetty

by Svetty

If only you'd stopped to think and paused before bending it right off..........

Even if you located the small broken off piece it's likely quite bent out of shape now. Even so retrieving it and epoxying it back in place so as to restore the flat continuous surface of the drop-out is better than nowt.

I wonder if Workswell are intending to mail you a replacement mech hanger and not the drop-out reinforcing plate.......

A carbon fibre repair shop is your best bet.

wingguy

by wingguy

martinko wrote:It might not be, because carbon frames tend to have it forbidden to use them with indoor trainer.

Do they though? I have never seen that actually stated in an owners manual or warranty terms.

Oswald

by Oswald

They will probably send you a derailleur hanger, which is not what you need. The replaceable hanger sits on the ouside, what you need is the reinforcement part that goes on the inside. I don't think those are available seperately.

mattr

by mattr

wingguy wrote:Do they though? I have never seen that actually stated in an owners manual or warranty terms.
I've seen it on 2 or 3 frames, very light, and all 12~15 years ago.

Not seen anything recently, this is either as i've not bought a road bike (light or otherwise) for near enough 12 years....... or because they've stopped doing it.

gewichtweenie

by gewichtweenie

wingguy wrote:
martinko wrote:It might not be, because carbon frames tend to have it forbidden to use them with indoor trainer.

Do they though? I have never seen that actually stated in an owners manual or warranty terms.

http://www.bmc-switzerland.com/us-en/su ... rbon-care/

Carbon frames are not suited to use on home trainers with a fixed rear axle. When the wheel cannot move then the excessive loads on the dropouts can damage the frame.

dj97223

by dj97223

Bummer, but probably not a huge deal, assuming you can still clamp a wheel ok. Just keep an eye on it now and then. The good news is that it is in a spot that doesn't affect the aesthetics of the frame.
“If you save your breath I feel a man like you can manage it. And if you don't manage it, you'll die. Only slowly, very slowly, old friend.”

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

Layer up JB Weld on the part that is now missing the metal plate, to form a new surface.

CummoY

by CummoY

Had exactly the same thing happen on an OEM 2015 Venge after also riding on the trainer ( KICKR), Spesh replaced it under warranty. I did ride with it missing completely for a race and noticed the carbon slowly crushing, suggest you find a fix and not keep riding as the wheel pulling over won't be fun.
Colnago C60 C64
Venge Vias - RB
S-Works Venge 2017, 2016x3, 2014
S-Works Tarmac 2017 - Boonen
Pinarello Dogma
BMC IMPEC x 3
Time RXRS BL, RXR, VXRS
Look 595 - Cofidis
Specialized Transition
Dengfu x 5
Razesa Banesto
Carrera - Max
Alan
Eddy Merckx Corsa 01

Shrike

by Shrike

@CummoY any idea how exactly it happened? I've emailed back to Workswell and changed my tune a bit, suggesting that this was a defect and to get advice from their mechanics on it. Rather that just saying I needed a part as something fell off my bike :o

By the replies this seems to be ultra unusual. I've never heard anyone else have this problem before myself..

jekyll man

by jekyll man

Thinking about this a bit more (and reading on another forum), is it possible you've used the wrong spacers, or not correctly torqued up the cassette onto your Neo??
Then the lockring has either unwound, or if the cassette is fitted incorrectly and thus too far over, the lockring has then caught on the dropout tearing the protective plate off..
Official cafe stop tester

GothicCastle

by GothicCastle

This is not true.

mattr

by mattr

Yes it is.
Some brands recommend against it.

Chris_W

by Chris_W

After recalling all of the 2016 Venge Vias bikes due to a rear dropout issue caused by hometrainer use, Specialized are now updating their owner's manual to state that the warranty is void if any of their carbon bikes is used in an indoor trainer.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

moonoi

by moonoi

Funny I had something similar happen to my tarmac SL4 today, never used on a turbo trainer. Got a puncture during my regular Sunday morning ride, popped the wheel out and fixed the flat, putting the wheel back in the metal insert just fell off! Been told that it means the frame is toast, but will confirm with the specialized dealer later in the week :-(