Setting up Di2 Synchro shifting?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Macses

by Macses

Hi. Just net here and ordered EW-WU111. Quick question: thuis unit is for internal frame mounting. Which place suits best to place it for best reception? And is it just plug and play?
Thanks

mark123

by mark123

I put mine in the frame and plugged into the internal battery. Is working fine and was plug and play

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

@Macses

I think officially Shimano says to mount them outside the frame for best reception, but I put my WU101 inside where the cable from my A junction enters the frame (just behind the head tube), and I'm having no issues at all.

Mileage may vary if you have an aluminum frame with internal cable routing, but I've seen enough people that have them working inside with carbon to safely say it works fine.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

Macses

by Macses

I have a carbon frame. I have ultegra di2 but ordered the wu111. I read it also works with ultegra but was designed for duraace. But since it's smaller and advertised as in frame solution and same privé as the wu101 I opted for this.

gbrown

by gbrown

havana wrote:I'm using a custom 12-30 (11sp) cassette; which is not configurable. So i chose 11-30 in stead.

No matter how I configure the system, the system shifts to 50x28 (=10th cog) before the system shifts to the small ring... impossible to adjust the threshold point to the 2nd largest cog. In other words the chain line is still horrible. Disappointing to say the least !

I agree that having a limit on Synchro Shift that it will only drop from the big ring to the little one when you reach either the second biggest cog (say 28T) or the biggest one (say 32T) is disappointing to say the least! Also, quite hard to understand the reason for it. I would say avoiding the largest two cogs would be quite a sensible idea. Perhaps they believe that the strain on the chain or gears would be too great, for some reason, although the semi-synchro would do exactly what I want if I hit the front change while in the third cog (25T)!

I thought it might be a bug in the e-tube GUI, so having tried every type of cassette and every combination of chain rings, I thought I would just try and hack the preset settings file. However, when I did this, loading the hacked preset gave a validation error on the Rear Derailleur Change Point, so it seems to be more than just a bug.

Looking at the settings file, the ChangePointRD for the Synchromap2 Direction Down has acceptable values of only 1 to 2 (or 254 which appears to be for semi-synch mode). When I set it to 3 it gave the validation error on loading into e-tube.

;Direction UP:0 DOWN:1
Synchromap2_1_Direction=0
;ChangePointFD 1 to 2
Synchromap2_1_ChangePointFD=1
;ChangePointRD 1 to 11 , 254
Synchromap2_1_ChangePointRD=8
;AimPoint 1 to 11
Synchromap2_1_AimPoint=6
;Direction UP:0 DOWN:1
Synchromap2_2_Direction=1
;ChangePointFD 1 to 2
Synchromap2_2_ChangePointFD=2
;ChangePointRD 1 to 2 , 254
Synchromap2_2_ChangePointRD=2
;AimPoint 1 to 11
Synchromap2_2_AimPoint=4

So it appears to be a deliberate choice by Shimano!

I hope they change their mind(s).

Geoff

barn

by barn

Have people got a buzzer to work?

Where/what is the Buzzer??
* Bluetooth D Fly?
* Garmin Head Unit?
* Something else to plug into Junction Box??

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Probably a translation issue. The edge 1000 can be set to beep prior to a synchro front ring change.

TurboKoo

by TurboKoo

Noise comes from Garmin. I have 520 and it notifies when I'm on either end of gears.
Cannondale SuperSix
Shimano 9270

barn

by barn

TurboKoo wrote:Noise comes from Garmin. I have 520 and it notifies when I'm on either end of gears.

Do you have to do anything to set this up apart from connect your D Fly to Head Unit?

Looking through the Firmware Updates, does only the Bluetooth D Fly's EW-WU101 / EW-WU111 and not the ANT+ Only SM-EWW01 send the Buzzing Request through to the Head Unit?

Tristan

by Tristan

barn wrote:
TurboKoo wrote:Noise comes from Garmin. I have 520 and it notifies when I'm on either end of gears.

Do you have to do anything to set this up apart from connect your D Fly to Head Unit?

Looking through the Firmware Updates, does only the Bluetooth D Fly's EW-WU101 / EW-WU111 and not the ANT+ Only SM-EWW01 send the Buzzing Request through to the Head Unit?

You need to update the firmware on the Garmin
Wheelworks.co.nz
New Zealand handbuilt wheels

Macses

by Macses

Is it possible to see the gear mode (m, s1 or s2) on a Garmin 810? I can see the gears and such but not the mode of synchro shifting

Thanks!

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

Macses wrote:Is it possible to see the gear mode (m, s1 or s2) on a Garmin 810? I can see the gears and such but not the mode of synchro shifting

Thanks!

I have a 810 as well and I haven't seen it. It might be in the Di2 "About" page. As I recall, that's where you can change the cassette and chainring sizes, so I'm going to assume that's where it'd be. That being said, probably just easier to reach below the stem and hit the button depending on how you have the junction box mounted.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

goodboyr

by goodboyr

They've added an extra field to the edge 1000 called shift mode. You can display it just like any other field on data pages. So check in "gears" category for that field.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

mr4fox

by mr4fox

goodboyr wrote:They've added an extra field to the edge 1000 called shift mode. You can display it just like any other field on data pages. So check in "gears" category for that field.

Are you able to change the shift mode on your edge 1000? I tap it where it says "Tap to change" then it says updating but doesn't change the shift mode.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

goodboyr

by goodboyr

I had that happen last week when I first updated everything. But this week it seems to be working just fine. Go figure.....

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com