Wofltooth roadlink - SRAM

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
itguy

by itguy

Currently running 11-28t on SRAM Red eTap.

Is it possible to go up to 11-32t with the Wofltooth Roadlink?

Any issues with the shifting?

Marin

by Marin

Current mechanical short cage Red rear derailleurs can shift a 32 cog without problems, it's just that they don't take up a lot of chain, which is only relevant if you want to run small/small. It's not dangerous though, and I've been run this setup on 2 bikes for 2 years now.

If the derailleur geometry didn't change for eTap, I'd expect it to work with a 32 out of the box. Should be easy to try. If you need to take up the chain too, there's a WiFli version now too.

by Weenie

superdx

by superdx

The RoadLink should allow you to go up to 36T, maybe even 40T. Just a matter of tuning the b-screw afterwards. I don't have any problems shifting on SRAM mechanical, Di2 or Shimano mechanical.

itguy

by itguy

Cool, was planning to use 32t but don't wanna get another RD just for that purpose!

TeslaOsiris

by TeslaOsiris

You could probably run the 11-36 WiFLi cassette on the short cage with a RoadLink without issue... I wouldn't be ambitious and go up to an 11-40 on a short cage. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Sent from my HTC 2PST2 using Tapatalk

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Wolftooth states that the Roadlink doesn't increase chain wrap capacity. Although the Roadlink allows you to run a larger cassette, to not to exceed your current RD's chain wrap capacity you have to reduce the size of your smaller front chainring. Chain wrap capacity is determined by your RD's jockey cage and not the Roadlink.

Should you decide to keep your existing chain at the same length you won't be able to run the big/big combination. If you decide to lengthen the chain the you won't be able to run the small/small combination. Chain wrap capacity of a particular RD is fixed and won't change from bike to bike. When people claim they made a particular gear combination 'work' they didn't magically change the chain wrap capacity of a RD. They will lose certain gear combinations assuming they have exceeded the chain wrap capacity of the RD. There's no free lunch.

topflightpro

by topflightpro

Marin wrote:Current mechanical short cage Red rear derailleurs can shift a 32 cog without problems, it's just that they don't take up a lot of chain, which is only relevant if you want to run small/small. It's not dangerous though, and I've been run this setup on 2 bikes for 2 years now.

If the derailleur geometry didn't change for eTap, I'd expect it to work with a 32 out of the box. Should be easy to try. If you need to take up the chain too, there's a WiFli version now too.

Per another thread on this topic, this is not guaranteed. eTap apparently works up to 32 with some frames, but not all.

I'm sure if the OP searched, he could find that thread. It was fairly extensive.

itguy

by itguy

Cross chaining is something I wouldn't do and I'm running compact crank, so i should be safe without modifying my chain and then slapping on a 11-32t

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Cross chaining is not something I do or recommend. However I have done it before (big and big) because I had forgotten I was on the big ring. So if you accidentally shift into big/big then possible RD damage could result should you decide to use the standard RD with a 11-32.

Marin

by Marin

Only if the chain is too short, this has nothing to do with the cage.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Marin wrote:Only if the chain is too short, this has nothing to do with the cage.

If you make the chain longer then the chain will rub against the RD in the small/small combo. Indeed the length of the cage determines the chain wrap capacity. There are lot of people making claims that they made their RD take a large cassette without mentioning that the RD will not shift in the big/big and small/small combos. The standard response I get is 'well you're not supposed to cross-chain anyways'. So you paid for a 22-speed system but don't really get 22 speeds?

Marin

by Marin

There won't be damage if you ride big/big with a properly sized chain, just like with a long cage.

plpete

by plpete

This is slightly misleading. Yes it will work but not in all cases. The deciding factor is the size of the derailleur hanger. Some are simply too short and even with the b-adjustment screw all the way in you will have trouble clearing the top pulley when shifting into the biggest cog. If it can be done I'd be gentle shifting into the biggest cog as the clearance might be very close.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Marin wrote:There won't be damage if you ride big/big with a properly sized chain, just like with a long cage.

If you make the chain longer so it will work with big/big, then the chain will lose all tension in the small/small and you won't be able to shift from to 12 to 11. The only way to increase chain wrap capacity is with a longer cage, not by playing with chain length.

itguy

by itguy

After i install the Roadlink, most probably will need to fine tune the shifting again?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

by Weenie