Ultegra update?

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
ooo
Posts: 528
Joined: Sat May 21, 2016 12:59 pm

by ooo

Rim brake wheels weight info updated:

WH-RS700-C30 (front 24mm rear 28mm)
2017-08-11 front 625g rear 943g
2017-09-20 front 616g rear 924g
'

User avatar
kdawg
Posts: 88
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:10 pm

by kdawg

Anyone got any ideas what would cause a spark when changing the chainrings? I wanted different cranks and got a good deal on a 52/36 set but I wanted 50/34 rings so swapped them over. They were really tight. I had to use a wrench with the torx bit in it. One of them let go with a bang and a flash!

Any ideas? Friction and locking compound? Just curious.
I'm left handed, if that matters.

tomee
Posts: 122
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:52 am

by tomee

anyone tried running the new 11-34t cassette on the previous generations med cage derailleur?

User avatar
fa63
Posts: 2264
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:26 am
Location: Atlanta, GA, US

by fa63

I have run a 11-36 cassette with the 6800 mid-cage RD. Of course this depends on the bike, particularly the dropout length.

pdlpsher1
Posts: 1542
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:09 pm
Location: CO

by pdlpsher1

If your derailleur hanger is too short you can always use a Wolftooth Roadlink. The bigger problem is chain wrap capacity. The previous generation mid-cage derailleur doesn't have enough chain wrap capacity for a 11-34. So your chain will either be too long or too short when you are cross-chained. If you leave the chain too short and accidently shift into the big-big combo it will damage your derailleur hanger or worse your frame. To be safe you should use the correct rear derailleur for the cassette you are running.

User avatar
naylor343
Posts: 133
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:46 pm
Location: Haute-Ariege, Midi-Pyrenees

by naylor343

I would recommend giving the 34t cassette a try with the older GS derailleur, it will probably work. I recently purchased the 8000 series 11-34 so I can do long easy days without having to drive to somewhere flat. I tried it on my wife's winter bike (van Nicholas ti) and it worked perfectly with a 5800 GS. I am now using it on my 2010 TCR adv sl, it is working perfectly with a 6870 SS mech and a road link. Chain tension is good in small-small and big-big. Maybe I am just lucky with the dropout design as it worked with a 32 sprocket as well without the road link and very minimal b-screw adjustment. On all of the above, it has been with 50/34 rings.

prebsy
Posts: 762
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:52 pm
Location: PHL

by prebsy

Well the wrap issue depends on what you are running up front. 37T of capacity on the 6800GS means w/ a 11-34 means you can only have a 14T jump up front. You should be fine with standard rings but questionable with the 16T jump compact combos most run.

ooo
Posts: 528
Joined: Sat May 21, 2016 12:59 pm

by ooo

New Ultegra Di2 diagram uploaded:

RD-R8050-SS
Attachments
r8050.gif
'

pdlpsher1
Posts: 1542
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:09 pm
Location: CO

by pdlpsher1

prebsy wrote:Well the wrap issue depends on what you are running up front. 37T of capacity on the 6800GS means w/ a 11-34 means you can only have a 14T jump up front. You should be fine with standard rings but questionable with the 16T jump compact combos most run.


That's true. Thanks for the clarification.

Now this is really weird. I have a feeling that the WolfTooth RoadLink somehow increases the chain wrap capacity contrary to their claim. On my tandem I'm running the 6800GS along with a RoadLink. I have a 50-34 compact and an XT 11-40 cassette. I have enough chain wrap capacity to run either the 34-11 or the 50-40 combinations. I can't figure this one out! My tandem does have very long chainstays though....

raggi
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:43 pm

by raggi

Anyone have an idea of when the R8070 shift levers become available?

bike24 has them listed as arriving January while Wiggle/CRC just list them as out of stock (or give you a server error).

justaute
Posts: 227
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:17 pm
Location: UT/TX/PA, USA

by justaute

Just talked to my supplier moments ago. He was told by Shimano this morning that R8070 shifters won't ship until Jan 2018 -- same as what you've heard. This is an additional delay of 3 months from the previous end-of-september timeline.


raggi wrote:Anyone have an idea of when the R8070 shift levers become available?

bike24 has them listed as arriving January while Wiggle/CRC just list them as out of stock (or give you a server error).

dmcgoy
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:23 pm

by dmcgoy

justaute wrote:Just talked to my supplier moments ago. He was told by Shimano this morning that R8070 shifters won't ship until Jan 2018 -- same as what you've heard. This is an additional delay of 3 months from the previous end-of-september timeline.


raggi wrote:Anyone have an idea of when the R8070 shift levers become available?

bike24 has them listed as arriving January while Wiggle/CRC just list them as out of stock (or give you a server error).


Ugh Shimano. Didn't they do exactly this for the 9170 release? I just gave up and bought 9170 levers so I had updates ready for CX season.

raggi
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:43 pm

by raggi

Oh man.. Well, 9170 it is then.

User avatar
TonyM
Posts: 2168
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:11 pm

by TonyM

My LBS told me that they have just received the first R8070 on their bikes (OEM on BMC).

hannawald
Posts: 172
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:28 pm

by hannawald

r2 bike have 8070 shifters with October availability..

is the same weight as 9170 shifters already confirmed?

thanks.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post