How to wire up new Bar-End Junction A for Di2 (EW-RS910)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

morganb

by morganb

I al also cleaned out the shift area in SL70 Aeros just using brake housing. Wired up super clean.

Broady

by Broady

Has anyone snipped the end of their Enve bars and popped a small hole in for this junction box? Debating it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kode54

by kode54

Enve only recommends snipping the ends of the bars that are meant to...like the latest Enve aero SES bars. i don't know if they are producing the dummy caps to match the other side yet. i have yet to see anyone put one on.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

rynogee

by rynogee

is there any consensus here about (the safety of) drilling alloy bars near to the shifter clamps? I've read elsewhere that this is a bad idea (increasing the chance of a fold or crease or something), but seems to be plenty of people in this thread drilling carbon (and alloy.?). I wanted to see if the Pro Vibe alloy ones were drilled near the shifter clamps and it appears they are not, based on current images of those bars on bike24's website. Not sure if this indicates pro/shimano think it's unsafe as well (otherwise why wouldn't they just do it, makes their 'integration' claims more worthy....?)

I'm using alloy bars in a cyclocross application and they can get heaved on and stressed pretty heavily hopping barriers and riding rough terrain (compared to road applications anyway), so I'm sort of inclined not to drill near the clamps. Unless I'm missing something, I also don't see much benefit to it unless I could route my hydraulic brake lines internally as well (which I can't, as it'd be more dilling near the stem for them to exit, as well as larger holes near the shifter clamps).

I was thinking it would be ok to drill my existing bars on the underside of the drops 5cm or so from the ends (both sides) whch is where the pro vibe alloy bar appears to be drilled (again going from bike 24 website photos). I was then thinking of connecting the shifters internally through the bar, but passing through the new holes on each side (in a sort of horseshoe shape), so the feel and volume of wire under the tape is the same (then putting the dummy 'wire' under the bar tape near the hydro lines on the tops to make both sides even, given only one side will carry the e tube cable from one shifter to the bike frame on the outside of the bar).
187019_03_d.jpg

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I drilled my carbon ec90 ax about 6cm from the end of the grip.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

thefuzzycow

by thefuzzycow

Alrighty folks. First time Di2 build. Have a wiring question.

Below is my wiring plan but I'm not sure if it'll work due to the sprint shifter mod. I know most of the time as long as it's all wired up one way or another, it'll work. However with the old sprinter shifters (r610), those needed to be connected directly into the levers. I'm hoping that is not the case in my plan with the remote climbing shifter (sw-r600).

I'm going to splice in some micro switches to the remote shifter to use as custom sprinter shifters.

My problem: Making sure they'll work/shift when wiring them to the RS910

As of now, my set up is:
Climber remote wire - TO - d-fly unit - TO - RS910 bar end junction
350mm- Bar end to RS
550mm-RS to LS
1200mm-LS to B junction at bottom bracket
250mm-BT110 battery to B junction
300mm-FD to B junction
650mm-RD to B junction

For the switches:
Keep remote body internal, run buttons to desired location on drops, connect r600 remote etube wire to d-fly bluetooth port, then etube wire to 2nd port in bar end RS910. Because they have their own circuit body, this should work just fine as a second shifter.

All ports are full and successfully routed. Besides the above potential wiring, I don't see any other way to do it without adding another junction. Will that end up working?

Thanks!
"moo"
Cervelo Aspero
Specialized Epic
Quintana Roo pr5

tomee

by tomee

im in the process of doing this and have just bought the cables but using existing cables from a bike im swapping di2 from.

so 8070 shifters running 650mm cables from left to right shifters > 350mm cable from shifter to RS910 > RS910 using 550mm cable to WU111 > WU111 connected to cables down to Junction B

kode54

by kode54

before i wire any Di2 set up out of the ordinary setup, i wire it outside of the frame to see if it works or not. that'll give you an immediate response on whether it works or not. then i put it into the frame.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

caadaus12D

by caadaus12D

Very simple wiring if anyone needs a video explanation of how to drop the EW-JC130 from your DI2 cables

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cON3w1IL_7k

fbonde

by fbonde

ms6073 wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:33 am
kode54 wrote:I suppose you need to cut both ends off to match? but hey, i don't want to replace all my Enve bars to accommodate the bar end box.
Enve's support document on Di2 cable routing shows a replacement bar end cover being used on the cut end where the EW-RS910 is installed:

Is it possible to get that pdf? I don't have an enve login. unfortunately.
insta: @fbonde

kode54

by kode54

- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

fbonde

by fbonde

kode54 wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:55 pm
there's a pic of it here....

https://enve.app.box.com/s/npb93ypq7fp3 ... fbj4m1e5d3
Thanks :-) i cant really finde a way to pluf the sprint shifters with that setup :/

kode54

by kode54

if you have the hydraulic 9170, I believe you may still be able to use the sprint shifters since you're only using one port of the 9170 shifters. One the 9150 shifters, you can use the sprint shifters since that has a specific port with a keyed plug in the middle of the 3 ports.

Take a look at the Shimano Di2 install PDF here.

https://si.shimano.com/pdfs/dm/DM-R9150-03-ENG.pdf
fbonde wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:32 pm
kode54 wrote:

Thanks :-) i cant really finde a way to pluf the sprint shifters with that setup :/
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

fbonde

by fbonde

kode54 wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:07 pm
if you have the hydraulic 9170, I believe you may still be able to use the sprint shifters since you're only using one port of the 9170 shifters. One the 9150 shifters, you can use the sprint shifters since that has a specific port with a keyed plug in the middle of the 3 ports.

Take a look at the Shimano Di2 install PDF here.

https://si.shimano.com/pdfs/dm/DM-R9150-03-ENG.pdf
fbonde wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:32 pm
kode54 wrote:

Thanks a'lot. I think this will do it https://ibb.co/SQNvWPn

ms6073

by ms6073

kode54 wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:07 pm
if you have the hydraulic 9170, I believe you may still be able to use the sprint shifters since you're only using one port of the 9170 shifters.
Nope. While the 9170 shifters has two ports, these are standard ports and are not 'keyed' for the sprint shifters.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com