Review of the Silca Super Pista Ultimate

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
gceniza
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:43 pm

by gceniza

I don't know where to post this ... but, I just feel compelled to share my opinion on this. I just bought a Silca Super Pista Ultimate pump. I got sick of dealing with the junk pump head lever on the Topeak Joe Blow Pro pump (that I still paid $100 for) ... it kept leaking and bending my valve cores. At Levi's this year, my valve core failed because it turned out to be bent and slowly leaked all the way out. So, I decided to splurge and buy Silca valve cores and the best pump I could find. This is expensive as hell, but now in hindsight, it is worth double. It is of the best craftsmanship I have ever seen in any product. Aside from the beautiful aesthetics, the ergonomics are perfect. You have to put it together when you take it out of the box ... you have to screw in the hose, then attach the base, and then screw in the chuck ... a two minute process. However, that process makes you fully realize just how much fine workmanship went into this thing. The threading for those pieces is so robust and tight. And finally, when using it, the things you take notice of are the heavy weight of the chuck, the perfectly air tight seal every single time, and the pure simplicity of attaching and removing the chuck.

Some may think I am crazy for spending this much on a pump, but frankly my last pump was driving me crazy.

Folks, this product is perfection.

GlenC
Attachments
Silca Handle.jpg
Silca Full.jpg

mr4fox
Posts: 258
Joined: Sat May 15, 2010 2:01 pm

by mr4fox

Nice!! You just made me want one...what's it weigh? ;p

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

gceniza
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:43 pm

by gceniza

Not sure what it weighs ... maybe half the weight of my bike and probably double the weight of my Joe Blow ... but you can carry it with one hand. The cool thing about carrying it is the way the hose goes over a machined groove in the top of the handle and then the chuck is magnetically held into a port at the base. The magnet is designed strong enough so that the hose will not come unplugged when you carry it by the handle, but easy enough that you can detach the chuck with one hand. It just seems like so much effort went into designing this thing to be right.

eaglejackson
Posts: 257
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:26 am
Location: PNW

by eaglejackson

I splurged and got the Silca Hiro chuck. I love it. It's kinda addicting. No more bent valve stems. It's a work of industrial art. I have two -- one connected to a Lezyne floor pump and the other connected to an old Silca Super Pista that is still going strong 20 years later. Silca makes some fantastic, crafted products. I might spring for a new Silca Superpista pump, which is "only" $235.

RyanH
Moderator
Posts: 1949
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:01 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Contact:

by RyanH

How does the pump feel when using it?

I've been on the fence about purchasing this. I realized after buying the Hirame pump head that when you have multiple Wheelsets with different diameter valve stems and one wheelset with the valve barely sticking out, that the Lezyne screw on chuck is actually worth the slight inconvenience of having to screw it on.
Strava
Current Stable. The Snob Machine
The Ex's. LS Siena: 6.21kg | Parlee Z5 SLi: 5.9kg | LS Xicon: 5.76kg | C59: 5.7kg | Cervelo R5ca: 5.09kg | Fuji Altamira SE - 6.2kg | Scott Foil - 6.2kg | Evo - 5.18kg | LS Classic - 6.7kg | The Crumpton - 5.9kg

gceniza
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:43 pm

by gceniza

The pump is very, very stiff. The chuck is far heavier than it looks. You still have to put forth some effort getting the tire to full pressure albeit a lot less effort than with other pumps. But, there is absolutely no air leakage and the heavy chuck never moves when you are pumping. In 30 years of using mostly Blackburn and Topeak pumps, the thing that bothered me most was the hassle in getting the chuck to clamp using a lever ... never seems to go on straight and often leaks. And when you try to seat those lever-based chucks on deep and tight, you end up bending valve cores when you're putting it on or prying it off. With the Silca chuck, you push it straight on and push it straight off when done (there is youtube video on this believe it or not) ... it never moves side by side and valve cores never get bent or loose.

User avatar
BRM
Posts: 817
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:43 pm

by BRM

gceniza wrote: . . . . .I got sick of dealing with the junk pump head lever on the Topeak Joe Blow Pro pump (that I still paid $100 for) ... it kept leaking and bending my valve cores.


So the only thing you would have to do is replacing the head . . . . . .

gceniza
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:43 pm

by gceniza

BRM wrote:
gceniza wrote: . . . . .I got sick of dealing with the junk pump head lever on the Topeak Joe Blow Pro pump (that I still paid $100 for) ... it kept leaking and bending my valve cores.


So the only thing you would have to do is replacing the head . . . . . .


So BRM your suggestion is to buy a high quality, heavy gauge chuck and screw it into the plastic threaded hose end of the Topeak? I chose to invest in something that I feel will last and not put more money into a cheaply built product. And the pump is something I use a lot every single day across the 10 bikes used by me, my wife, and my kids. The investment may not seem logical to some, but it sure does to me.

User avatar
fa63
Posts: 2264
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:26 am
Location: Atlanta, GA, US

by fa63

You don't have to justify your purchase to anyone; there are worse ways to spend $325 :D Plus that thing will probably last forever...

uraqt
Posts: 816
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:53 am

by uraqt

Not probably, it will last forever.....period

C

RussellS
Posts: 720
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:31 am

by RussellS

I have a Silca Super Pista pump I have been using the past 15 years or so. Works great. Especially after I replaced the awful Silca chuck with a great Topeak hose and chuck.

https://www.topeak.com/global/en/produc ... pgrade-kit

Seedster
Posts: 309
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:05 pm

by Seedster

I bought a silca super pista pump recently and find the craftsmanship to be top notch.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

steventran
Posts: 159
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:31 pm

by steventran

I have no complaints either. I've since bought an Eolo, Impero, the wrenches...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
mrgray
Posts: 787
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:56 am

by mrgray

i bought one of these a way back because i was pumping tires everyday (latex tubes) and i thought, what the heck. it cost me a bomb. it is a beautiful and well made piece of kit that almost makes a tedious job fun. and it is really well designed. so it turns out i am a super rational consumer.

now buying a pegoretti ciavete paint job one, thats nuts!
Bobo S&S Steel Bike - 7.5 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg
Look 695 SR :D

MikeD
Posts: 122
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:55 pm

by MikeD

gceniza wrote:The pump is very, very stiff. The chuck is far heavier than it looks. You still have to put forth some effort getting the tire to full pressure albeit a lot less effort than with other pumps. But, there is absolutely no air leakage and the heavy chuck never moves when you are pumping. In 30 years of using mostly Blackburn and Topeak pumps, the thing that bothered me most was the hassle in getting the chuck to clamp using a lever ... never seems to go on straight and often leaks. And when you try to seat those lever-based chucks on deep and tight, you end up bending valve cores when you're putting it on or prying it off. With the Silca chuck, you push it straight on and push it straight off when done (there is youtube video on this believe it or not) ... it never moves side by side and valve cores never get bent or loose.


Just the opposite with me regarding Silca vs. Topeak pump heads. I hate the leaking push on push off Silca heads. Never had a bent valve core. Operator error on your part by pushing it on too far.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post