Opinions of these mudguards (SKS Raceblade Pro)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

LloydP

by LloydP

Another vote for PDW fenders. I've had a set for over a year now and wouldn't use anything else. A few places stock them in the UK, so they're not too hard to get

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Delorre

by Delorre

Anyone experience with the new Crud roadracer MK3?

Shrike

by Shrike

Got the MK3's and will fit them tonight so will report back after the next pissing wet ride.

Went for them just because they looked easy to fit and get hold of. Don't like the look of those bendy supports. Gross.

corky

by corky

Sks raceblade xl user here..... so far so good. Don"t like the extension on the front and doesn't really add to the protection so I leave it off.

Mount the brackets and then you can clip them on and off at will.

Much better than anticipated. all mudguards and fenders rattle over the rough,stuff but I can live with these.

McGilli

by McGilli

Rudi wrote:Only bit is I think you need to get them set up positionally, then take then back off and put a small screw through the guard into the "loop" on the topsite to hold it in place. Otherwise they can move. I nearly lost one as I hadn't read the instructions.

I had never known this until reading this here - then looking at the instructions again - this is UNREAL.

You actually need A DRILL to install the Raceblades fully, and correctly. I'm not joking.

They DO NOT pre-drill the fender - you must do it yourself - and pray you're not off by a few mm or your fenders are screwed... Then put the tiny screw in... you must drill each fender 2 times...

Seriously? We are supposed to drill holes into our fenders?

Shrike

by Shrike

MK3's don't fit the Workswell 066 frame. Front fender is too wide for the front fork basically. Rear seems a bit better but will need some work too.

Needs a whole afternoon of hacking at with a knife. Will have a go on Sunday :|

Also. Looks like shit. Weird organic curvy supports definitely don't grow on you, they only get uglier.

Rudi

by Rudi

@McGilli, I have just used loads of tape on either side to keep it in place. Not ideal but works.
Cervelo R3 - 5.4kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=142420

Multebear

by Multebear

Multebear wrote:I agree with ergott. PDW fenders are the business. I've mounted extra flaps on mine as well. Made them fit on my C'dale Supersix Evo hi-mod. It's a very tight fit, and it only Works with 23 mm tyres. But it works. I had them delivered from UK to Scandinavia in just two days from Condor cycles.

https://www.condorcycles.com/products/p ... tal-fender

BTW those raceblade long don't protect your feet very well. The rear fender needs to be extended from the rear brake all the way down to the BB. Otherwise the rear wheel will spray your feet.

Turns out, it doesn't work :cry: today was rainy and with a lot of dirt and leaves on the road, which made the fit too tight. Apparently the Supersix is to tight for full fenders even the PDW ones.

jeffy

by jeffy

deleted ..

jeffy

by jeffy

Crud Mk3 has full(er) coverage - back of the legs covered. Uses industrial velcro type of stuff to attach, would be a little nervous about gluing on the attachment, though it apparently comes off with a hairdryer (and anyway its a winter bike so ... meh) seems to work particularly well with Disc CX bikes.

rear is a little short, but some DIY flaps should sort it if it is an issue.

Was about to pull trigger on SKS XL but hesitated for various reasons (half coverage rear for example).

Gonna give these a try ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAiJkGM7VP4

McGilli

by McGilli

FIXED MY SKS RACE BLADE XL PRO

Ugh....

I only needed lots of duct tape, electricians tape, 5 gift cards, and to cut up a gallon milk jug and use part of that...

That said - as is now - 100% perfect. 150km group ride. shoes - dry. back of legs - dry. face - dry. shins - dry.

Still - looks so ghetto...

I'm going to do it up proper - black painting a milk jug and make it all 'pro' looking... you know... how it should be when you buy it ;)

grymg

by grymg

I'm getting the SKS raceblades as I use them for my quick lunch rides in which I have to attach and remove them quickly on my bike.

I run 23mm tires, is it better to get the XL since they are longer and wider or it doesn't make a difference?

bilwit

by bilwit

grymg wrote:I'm getting the SKS raceblades as I use them for my quick lunch rides in which I have to attach and remove them quickly on my bike.

I run 23mm tires, is it better to get the XL since they are longer and wider or it doesn't make a difference?

Eh, I don't think it would make much of a difference. I got longer mudguard flaps and replaced the native flaps that came with them so that there's more coverage for the people behind me:

http://www.rainydaybiking.com/Stealth-B ... -p/610.htm

The real problem with these in terms of coverage for yourself and drive train is that it stops just before caliper, which means that on the back, water and muck is kicked up and sprayed directly in the area of your brakepads. On the front, this means water is shot up in front of you and then back towards you (since you're moving forward) and onto the headtube/headset area (or feet if you're leaning the bike). The bike I use these on is made for long reach but I use normal calipers so I was able to fit an ass saver that ties around the seat tube and fits underneath the caliper so that the water is bridged more towards the wheel rather than completely spraying the caliper. Not a good looking solution but it seems to get the job done well.

Obviously these aren't supposed to completely replace the functionality of full fenders but they do a good enough job, especially for preventing mud-butt or spraying the person behind you in the face. The convenience of being able to take them off/on in a matter of seconds is also a huge plus for me.
Last edited by bilwit on Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:22 am, edited 3 times in total.

grymg

by grymg

Thanks!! I also heard that the XL does a better job in that the raceblades move around a bit during the ride and will rub up against the tire sometimes. The XL allows more clearance to prevent that from happening. Anybody agree or isn't worth it?

Johnnysmooth

by Johnnysmooth

Have Raceblades and they are ok. As mentioned, they do kick up some spray, esp upfront so still wear booties, which I do anyway here in the Northeast once the yucky weather arrives. I don't bother w fenders in summer.

What I disliked most though was that the way these fenders mounted, they ended up rubbing off a fair amy of finish off bike - bummer

Going to look into those Portland fenders
It only hurts if you think.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com