Fast clincher tires with good ride quality

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

eaglejackson

by eaglejackson

I rode Vittoria Open Corsa CX III for many years. I love the feel of them but they do puncture easily and treads wears quickly. A few years ago I switched to Conti GP4000SII (25mm). No doubt they are much more puncture resistant. At first I didn't like the ride quality as much -- the Vittorias felt more supple -- but as I got more miles on them, I appreciated the feel and the grip. When the Corsa G+'s came out I gave them a try (25mm). I kept getting flats with them. Little tree needles and road debris would get into the gaps in the tread and get lodged until they punctured. Also, FWIW, Conti 25mm measured an actual 27mm on my wheels (C24 @ 90 psi) while the Corsa G+'s measured 26mm. I'm back on Conti's.

3Pio

by 3Pio

eaglejackson wrote:I rode Vittoria Open Corsa CX III for many years. I love the feel of them but they do puncture easily and treads wears quickly. A few years ago I switched to Conti GP4000SII (25mm). No doubt they are much more puncture resistant. At first I didn't like the ride quality as much -- the Vittorias felt more supple -- but as I got more miles on them, I appreciated the feel and the grip. When the Corsa G+'s came out I gave them a try (25mm). I kept getting flats with them. Little tree needles and road debris would get into the gaps in the tread and get lodged until they punctured. Also, FWIW, Conti 25mm measured an actual 27mm on my wheels (C24 @ 90 psi) while the Corsa G+'s measured 26mm. I'm back on Conti's.

Now i have 1000 km on Continental 4000 SII 23 mm using them with latex tubes, and before this i was riding Corsa g+ 25mm and must say i really love them after i found proper pressure for me.

I feel them much faster then Corsa, and maybe not that comfortable, but nothing bad (few very long rides on them, one 220 km with 2800 meters climb). I did not have puncture problems with Corsa clincher version, but tubular laster only 1850 km (rear one).

Another thing i really like is the sound i hear from smooth rolling of 4000 SII, like fshhhhhhh

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

The Corsa G+ do feel slow, but I think it's because they are so supple and my mind is playing tricks on me. Stiffer tires often feel faster because we associate vibrations and certain sounds with going fast.

I find both tires to have their faults. The GP4K SII sidewalls seem to hate the rocks and pebbles that get strewn on the roads here. The last set I mounted lasted 200mi before I got large tears in both front and rear. Corsa G+ tread life on the coarse road surfaces here is pretty bad. I got barely over 1000mi on mine.

Pschnei3

by Pschnei3

i have been riding vittoria open pave for the last couple years and they have been great. rarely get a puncture and they ride so smooth. they are discontinued but someone posted a little bit ago they are coming out with a replacement soon --CORSA CONTROL.

thumper88

by thumper88

Found the open corsa too fragile and not good in wet... Its successor is pretty good and just out of sheer boredom I may try the Pirelli, but Conti 4000sII will prob remain my go-to.
It tests well if not at top for rolling resistance, tests at or near top for aero. Rides a tad stiff and wooden but is grippy and especially confidence inspiring in the wet, at least to the degree any tire can be.
The sidewalls are fragile around rocks though, and it doesn't take much of a tiny cut for inner tube to creep out if you're running latex.
Latex does improve their ride a little.

Spinnekop

by Spinnekop

eaglejackson wrote:I rode Vittoria Open Corsa CX III for many years. I love the feel of them but they do puncture easily and treads wears quickly. A few years ago I switched to Conti GP4000SII (25mm). No doubt they are much more puncture resistant. At first I didn't like the ride quality as much -- the Vittorias felt more supple -- but as I got more miles on them, I appreciated the feel and the grip. When the Corsa G+'s came out I gave them a try (25mm). I kept getting flats with them. Little tree needles and road debris would get into the gaps in the tread and get lodged until they punctured. Also, FWIW, Conti 25mm measured an actual 27mm on my wheels (C24 @ 90 psi) while the Corsa G+'s measured 26mm. I'm back on Conti's.

This is almost exactly what my timeline looks like. CX III over to Conti back to G+ and back to Conti again.
You cannot beat the rolling resistance combined with the puncture resistance of the GP4000II
"In my experience, there is only one motivation, and that is DESIRE.
No reason or principle contain it or stand against it........"

Lieblingsleguan

by Lieblingsleguan

TobinHatesYou wrote:The Corsa G+ do feel slow, but I think it's because they are so supple and my mind is playing tricks on me. Stiffer tires often feel faster because we associate vibrations and certain sounds with going fast.

I find both tires to have their faults. The GP4K SII sidewalls seem to hate the rocks and pebbles that get strewn on the roads here. The last set I mounted lasted 200mi before I got large tears in both front and rear. Corsa G+ tread life on the coarse road surfaces here is pretty bad. I got barely over 1000mi on mine.

I found the G+ less supple than tires like Veloflex Master or Specialized Turbo Cotton. They are also heavier and do not last longer.
I didn't flat them, but they collected a lot of small stones that I had to pick out of the thread in order to avoid them working themselves through the casing.

I wanted to know if they could be tires close to the comfort of other cotton tires but also close to being as durable as the Contis, but I won't buy them again.

Marin

by Marin

I wish Veloflex made a 28mm clincher...

thumper88

by thumper88

pdlpsher1 wrote:The Specialized Turbo Cotton is a time-trial specific tire. It doesn't have a thick thread and it's prone to punctures.

IMHO the GP4000 has the best overall compromise in a high-mileage tire. All other tires will have something to sacrifice.

Ditto, though I have put 2000 or so miles on turbo cottons without a flat, and they feel great... they are def thin nd have essentially zero flat protection.
They wear out kind of oddly, too... going into an underlying layer quickly, so you have to keep an eye on it.

Marin

by Marin

Not true, the Turbo Cottons have full puncture protection and aren't fragile at all. I put over 3000k on mine so far without a flat.

mrlobber

by mrlobber

As always, YMMV.

I usually destroy my tires by cutting the sidewalls - be it clinchers or tubulars.

However, the Turbo Cottons were one of the rare tires I've actually punctured.

3 Conti GP4000S2, 25mm mileages (in km): 4384 (rear) / 5253 (front+rear later) / 893 (front, destroyed in gravel race)
2 Turbo Cotton, 24mm mileages (in km): 1700 (rear) / 2716 (front, sidewalls suspicious already)

In comfort on the same bike, Turbo Cottons win by a wide margin.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

C36

by C36

If looking for good ride quality then discard the GP4000 they are stiff. Michelin comps have both better rolling resistance and a great dynamic feeling.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

3Pio

by 3Pio

C36 wrote:If looking for good ride quality then discard the GP4000 they are stiff. Michelin comps have both better rolling resistance and a great dynamic feeling.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Based on general opinion that they are stiff and dont offer good ride quality, long time i refused to try them, and was riding Corsa G+ whole season.

But decide to try them at the end in 23mm version, and latex inner tuber. Im so sorry i did not try them before.. I dont consider them stiff and that they not offer good ride quality. Just to mention the roads here are terrible.

U just need to experiment with pressure and ride them with Latex Inner tubes... The grip is amazing, and they are fast.

for my 72 kg, im using 6.0 bar in the front and 6.5 in the rear and perfect for me.

Also in 1500 km as i ride them, no flat or some other problems with them.

izza

by izza

I’ve tried the Pirelli Velo and they are very similar to the Conti’s. However, in the Alps the beading doesn’t melt. As such I recommend them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PLuKE

by PLuKE

Is there any opinions on the Challenge Criterium clinchers?

Luke

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com