BB Question - 2016 TCR Advanced SL

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
chiltonp

by chiltonp

Picking up one of these frames second hand, and unclear what kind of BB shell it has. Giant calls it PowerCore, is this just PF86?

by Weenie

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Yes, or BB86 more properly. If you are running Shimano, the standard BB works well enough. It's light and cheap. Quiet also if it goes in with Loctite. I actually found the basic Sram unit to be a bit more free spinning.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

chiltonp

by chiltonp

is this what I need?

http://www.jensonusa.com/Shimano-SM-BB9 ... om-Bracket

can't tell if this is the road or mtb bottom bracket....

ms6073

by ms6073

That bottom bracket is for mountain bike frames. To excerpt from Park Tool's article on Bottom Bracket Standards:

The BB86, BB92, and BB121 standards use a threadless bore of nominally 41mm in the frame shell. The nomenclature of this system lists the nominal shell width as the second number. For road bikes it is 86mm, for mountain bikes it is 92mm, and for “Fat Bikes” it is 121mm. These standards use two-piece cranks with spindle diameters of approximately 24mm. A couple examples are Shimano® Hollowtech® II and SRAM® GXP® cranksets.

So for a Shimano road crank, you would need something like the Shimano Ultegra BB72-41B or the Enduro Torqtite Stainless Bottom Bracket. If the budget allows it, I would recommend you consider the HSC BB86/92 Ceramic Bottom Bracket.
Michael - The Anaerobic Threshold is neither...

rick222

by rick222

ms6073 wrote:That bottom bracket is for mountain bike frames. To excerpt from Park Tool's article on Bottom Bracket Standards:

The BB86, BB92, and BB121 standards use a threadless bore of nominally 41mm in the frame shell. The nomenclature of this system lists the nominal shell width as the second number. For road bikes it is 86mm, for mountain bikes it is 92mm, and for “Fat Bikes” it is 121mm. These standards use two-piece cranks with spindle diameters of approximately 24mm. A couple examples are Shimano® Hollowtech® II and SRAM® GXP® cranksets.

So for a Shimano road crank, you would need something like the Shimano Ultegra BB72-41B or the Enduro Torqtite Stainless Bottom Bracket. If the budget allows it, I would recommend you consider the HSC BB86/92 Ceramic Bottom Bracket.

I've had a couple of TCRs with Shimano press fit BB86 and Shimano cranks. Never had a problem with any of them and very stiff, I much prefer them over BB30 style any day.