Tubeless setup on Generation 1 Enve SES Clinchers

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

I have a pair of first generation Enve SES 3.4 Clinchers. I spent a ton of money on these wheels and would like to use them more often. I would like to try them as a tubeless setup. I know Enve generation 2 rims are tubeless certified. Gen 1 not necessarily. Stan's No-tubes says it will work fine. Anyone have any experience or thoughts on the matter? Thx.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

petromyzon

by petromyzon

You can make just about anything work tubeless with a bit of effort. IMO the only real requirement is that if you want to use >50psi (e.g. road use) you use a tubeless-specific bead that will safely hold the pressure.

Seal the rim up with some tubeless tape of your choice - AFAIK Stan's tape is TESA 4289 strapping tape, two wraps for road pressures.
Then you come to the hard bit - getting it inflated. Modern tubeless rims are designed to be an easy fit in the centre, but tight at the edges. You mount the tire and it traps just enough air when you pump that it forces the tire outward on to the rim hook. Many newer rims have a step to trap the beads once they get there.

Without a specific rim you are likely to more flow (MTB floor pump, compressor, AirShot type device). I've never had good luck with a CO2 cartridge but maybe my inflator releases gas in too controlled a fashion.
If this fails my approach has been to make the rim fit tighter until it does work. Velox cotton rim tape is thick, so you can install this, then tubeless tape over the top. Another option is electrical tape as that can provide a nice airtight seal, is lighter and will keep the Velox dry BUT IS NOT STRONG ENOUGH TO RESIST SPOKE HOLE PRESSURE ON IT'S OWN.

You will be able to make pretty much anything seal, I promise. However, you are adding weight and making tire fitting progressively harder. Remember if you completely lose pressure on a ride with a tubeless setup you need to be able to get a tube in.
However, if you are lucky and have access to a decent compressor, you may well be able to set your ENVEs up tubeless and they would not perform any differently to the "tubeless certified" ones.

Valves can be made by cutting the threaded ones out of old innertubes leaving a base to prevent blow-through. Sealant is a must, even if just 20ml to improve air retention. Add it over a dismounted section of bead when you are sure you can inflate the setup, then inflate and immediately roll and spin the wheel to coat the insides. Tricks to help inflation include removing valve cores, hanging the wheel up and lubing the beads with soapy water. Tyres stretch over time so a new tyre that inflates tubeless on first installation you may struggle with a few months later.

Hope this helps

njyeti

by njyeti

Hi, I successfully ran Enve Classic 25's with Schwalbe One tubeless over the winter with no issues at all.

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

Was it difficult getting the tire to inflate the first time?

njyeti

by njyeti

My LBS set it up tubeless for me and they did it in their first try just using Stans and a compressor

beesknees

by beesknees

I've been running first gen 3.4's tubeless for the last 2 years. Hutch secteur's first but now Schwalbe pro ones which work great. No probs at all and run great. Would suggest that at least for first installation a compressor, (or 2 liter soft drink container trick) is necessary to get bead to seat without exhausting oneself with track pump. Also definitely do not need 2 ounces of sealant, currently using about 15 cc of sealant with no problems.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I ran tubeless Zipp 303's (Firecrest design) for two years. Never had a problems setting it up tubeless, never had a problem with burping or pinch flats. I had several flat tires, but I chalk that up to bad roads where I used to live. Use Stan's tape (the larger, mountain bike variety, not the narrower, cheaper tape), and either Orange Seal or Bontrager sealant (Stans is only good if mixed with something thicker, like Slime - 3:1 ratio). You can use a compressor, or, if you have access to a Bontrager FlashPro pump, that will set the tires up.

One word of warning, you will need to use the tightening nut on your valve stems. I always had good luck using the Orange Seal valves, as they come with a grommet that keeps the sealant from galling up the threads on the valve.

CBJ

by CBJ

Any more experience with this? I want to run them with Schwalbe g-one in 35c both to get a faster tire but also to hopefully avoid as many punctures from flint as I have been doing lately.

AirVetra

by AirVetra

Hi guys! Just get a new bike with oldfashioned 3.4 gen 1.

Hope to get hgen 2 and jump into tubeless but now awaiting for nativ 3.4 tubeless kit (it will be wider a little as it for 21 mm inner width, but hope it will suits).

ENVE support tells that it's not possible to use the rims tubeless because of not suitable channel for tire

Any thought - is it dangerouse to use? I'll go with Shwalbe Pro One 25...

jlok

by jlok

Enve is correct about the rim profile. You are lucky if you could get it setup tubeless with the traditional curved rim bed. I tried that on my gen 1 3.4 Disc and while suceed at first attempt, it won't hold air overnight. There's nothing to hold the tubeless beads. I strongly recommend against setting up tubeless with 1st gen SES.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

dvq

by dvq

I've had no problem converting an older set of ENVE SES 6.7 to tubeless, ran them that way for 8,000 mi.

markdjr

by markdjr

Im running gen1 3.4 with Schwalbe Pro 1 28mm tires. It was a tight fit getting the tires on, which is what I was looking for. I couldn't get them to seat and hold air dry, but with sealant in and spun around I got it to seal and hold after a few tries with the air tank.

AirVetra

by AirVetra

The compressor is not a problem - i'he got a swalbe high-pressure tank.

I'm afraid of during riding problems, not to loose tire while descending and other possible dangerous consequences...

Orlok

by Orlok

If these are the rim profiles, then isn't a problem to convert the clinchers to tubeless with (Schwalbe) tubeless rim tape and (Schwalbe) tubeless valve:
Image :wink:
Once comes a time that you'll have a tailwind :D
Pinarello F10 - Ultegra 8050 Di2 - Carbonspeed C38 Tubeless

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AirVetra

by AirVetra

To put it on is not a problem, but will it hold tire in some extream condition - high speed turns with low angle inclination, some smaller pressure (now tubed I use 5/5.2 bars for 25mm and 74kg rider, for tubeless and gen2 ENVE site tells me 4.35-4.5)?