Clarify Sram Red crankset weights (different year/model) - 520gr crank!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ChiZ01

by ChiZ01

someone gotta update the list, alot of duplicate listings and most of the stuff are at least 10 years old

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alcatraz

by alcatraz

endershan wrote:s-works crankset(170mm,110bcd,50/34 chainrings),if anyone is interested.
ImageImage

从我的 iPhone 发送,使用 Tapatalk

That is beautiful. You can drop another 25gr by switching to sram red 2012- compact arms.

慢点! /a

alcatraz

by alcatraz

junchen wrote:Image

Red 22 bb30
110bcd 50/34 in 165mm
516g.

Definitely potential to drop more weight using more exotic chainring.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Thank you for your post junchen.

If the bolts are around 10g then that puts the 165mm red compact bb30 arms at around 353gr. Interesting that the 175mm arm version is only around 5 grams heavier. Thats 20mm of exogram carbon. Indeed impressive.

That leads me to believe that a 130bcd version arms alone shouldnt be more than 10gr heavier than it's compact 110bcd counterpart.

I guess the weight penalty in running 130bcd comes mostly from the big ring.

I was playing with the idea of running 50/39t on 130bcd since I got a good offer on a red 130bcd crank, but it seems simpler to just go compact. The big ring need to be changed either way but at least a compact can be used for steep climbing.

What would you do in this situation? Wait for a good compact offer (might have to wait a while) or take the red 130bcd? Winter is coming and I guess it would be possible to get a better deal then.

I got some cheaper slk cranks to choose from. I'm thinking to pick one up and use just until I can obtain a red compact. (The frame I got is not expensive but still light 850g. Not worth spending 250$ on a crank, and equally it's a waste not to go light. A bit stuck :-))

/a

endershan

by endershan

alcatraz wrote:
endershan wrote:s-works crankset(170mm,110bcd,50/34 chainrings),if anyone is interested.

从我的 iPhone 发送,使用 Tapatalk

That is beautiful. You can drop another 25gr by switching to sram red 2012- compact arms.

慢点! /a

Thank you! I just ordered a s-works road crankset (2017), will post the weight later.

F45

by F45

BRM wrote:The link is not useless but your attitude is . . . :D
While this forum is from origine about weights, its time to revive it.
You show exactly what is wrong here, lack of commitment.

Thx

Right, posting the weights for the components he wants, on request. Lack of commitment? snort.

Actually I think what is wrong is the listings upload format. It is too much work for one unpaid person to update. A wiki style would allow users to upload data themselves and users to delete submissions that are in error.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

I went with an FSA SL-K 410gr without rings. I hope I won't get struck with the quality issue like some other fsa carbon riders have. Got it for 2/3 of the price a sram red would have gone for. With some very special chainrings I could get close to 510gr total weight which is not bad at all.

One thing that made me hesitate about going Sram Red is a compact crank (2016 i think judging from the picture) that weighed 590 grams with the rings (without bb30 bb). I told the seller there must be a mistake. It should be 520 grams. He assured me he weighed it himself and that the number is accurate.

That makes it difficult to weigh each crank before you buy it to make sure you don't get a dud.

And no it wasnt some weird special model with metal spider. Looked like a normal red exogram.

Weird, so have some caution. /a

Edit: Here is a pic of the actual 590gr crank.

junchen

by junchen

Maybe the 590g one (sans bb) is gxp?

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

There was a production change by Sram to beef up the arms. This happened perhaps 1-2 years after the first model year (2012). I have the lighter version. It's about 30 grams lighter than the current version.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alcatraz

by alcatraz

pdlpsher1 wrote:There was a production change by Sram to beef up the arms. This happened perhaps 1-2 years after the first model year (2012). I have the lighter version. It's about 30 grams lighter than the current version.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great info! Thanks...

Weird that the weight info on srams homepage hasnt changed.

/a

@junchen: Its a bb30. I didnt post the other picture of the axle but I promise it's bb30.

Penthousepete

by Penthousepete

I have an earlier version of the 2012 onwards SRAM Red compact on mine and guess this is the lighter version (BB30). What rings would you guys recommend for this to keep weight down or as a good balance between weight reduction and stiffness? Also, in your opinion, how do these compare with the best Cannondale Spider cranks?
Losing weight is an education
Hong Fu Bikes FM0069 Superlight 2014 (SRAM Red, Tune TSR30)
Cannondale Flash F1 '10
Felt Brougham '10

Marin

by Marin

TA, Stronglight, Extralite, or Tune.

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

I weighed my groupset before instillation. All numbers were just below specified by sram... except the 170mm/compact/bb30 (without bb) crank which was way under.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

RocketRacing wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:01 pm
I weighed my groupset before instillation. All numbers were just below specified by sram... except the 170mm/compact/bb30 (without bb) crank which was way under.
Thanks for posting. Sure the scale was zeroed and that nothing is touching outside of it?

Chainrings and bolts should be around 128+28+8gr. That puts the crank at 302gr which is THM territory. The lightest red bb30 cranks I think are 350gr.

Last info on the new cranks were thay they gained some weight.

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

Yeah, it seemed like a clean measurement. I thought it was odd, so checked twice. My full bike weights before and after also suggested the numbers came in about correct. The rear etap derailer also was a good bit lighter than sram states, desipte being wifli (which should add 12g). It came in at 191g +24g battery = 215g. Stated weight of short cage with battery is 239g.

Hood and front derailer weights were bang on to sram’s reported numbers.

I suspect sram has quietly tweeked some things (note the graphics).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alcatraz

by alcatraz

I'd try another scale to rule it out.