Etap upgrade - thoughts

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

G6612

by G6612

I am getting close to pulling the trigger and getting Sram Etap and I have just a few questions as I believe it has been out long enough and people with experience can get me going in the right direction. My current bike is a 2013 Cannondale Super Six Evo SISL2 cranks with Spidering with 10-speed Sram so if I am not mistaken I will need to upgrade to 11-speed.

My hub is already 11- speed so no problems.
Etap upgrade kit
New cassette Sram 11-28
New 11-speed chain - KMC ??

Can anyone advise if this setup should work with no problems or recommend any other components that may work better. (manufacturer)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cjc

by cjc

I think no problem with you'll buy equipment.
10-speed trans to 11-speed, different chain width, same Length.

sungod

by sungod

it'll work

why a kmc chain rather than sram? either way i'd fit a wippermann connex link, it's easy to remove/refit, the kmc/sram 11-speed links are single use and probably need a tool to remove

this is the main etap thread, from about the point people started fitting it, there're a few hints/tips in there that may help...

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127375&start=585

...main thing to check is the clearance from the fd low limit screw to the crank when shifting to the big ring, depending on frame/crank sizing/geometry the screw may be too long (grind a couple of mm off the end or get a shorter screw)

for non-yaw chainrings you may need to experiment with the fd alignment to avoid rub if/when cross chaining big-big, with praxis works rings i positioned the cage a bit higher with the trailing end pointing a smidge inwards, took a few goes but got it in the end

G6612

by G6612

The reason for KMC is just because that is what I have always used. I think I will use the following and see how it performs.

Sram Red 22 XG-1190 Power dome 11-28 cassette
Sram Red PC1190 11-speed chain