Who produces Canyon frames?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

flying

by flying

morganb wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:22 pm
I've had three Cervelos and the build quality is unbelievably bad. I've never seen so much garbage left in the frame and ugly carbon inside the frame, or such inconsistent bottom bracket sizing based on my time working in shops. I still have a P4 since its a limited use bike but its turned me off from getting another one. The P4 which was one of their more complicated/high end carbon frames has tons of bladder left in the frame and has carbon sitting on top of the area where the seat wedge sits and prevents it from sitting flush in the frame.
I had similar with 2 failed Cervelo's replaced by warranty
First one rear drops were crooked
second one BB shell tore out while climbing
While tearing them down I saw the same as you inside.

After that went back to Look :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Wookski

by Wookski

flying wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:27 am
Stendhal wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:37 am
The LOW// mki road has a threaded bottom bracket (English not Italian) and genius-smooth welds.
Thanks yes they make a nice frame & I have looked at them before.
Overpriced though for Alum IMHO
Same with Mulholland Spooky.
They’re beautiful and well worth the $$

Stendhal

by Stendhal

Wookski wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:55 am
flying wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:27 am
Stendhal wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:37 am
The LOW// mki road has a threaded bottom bracket (English not Italian) and genius-smooth welds.
Thanks yes they make a nice frame & I have looked at them before.
Overpriced though for Alum IMHO
Same with Mulholland Spooky.
They’re beautiful and well worth the $$
I can see both sides on this. LOW// is less expensive than what Gualzetti charged when he was in genius aluminum, and is less expensive than most custom metal frames (albeit not with custom sizing). It's also higher than the mass brands (Cannondale, Trek, Canyon, etc.) . Given the excellent information in this thread about problem welds as well as problem carbon, one can argue that the extra expense is worth it. Finally, I'd compare pricing for LOW// as top-end aluminum to pricing for top-end carbon or titanium. My LOW// frame was $2640 (custom color paint and decals); my F10 lists closer to $5700; what does a MOOTS frame list for? (For that matter, there are top-end steel frames higher than $2600). LOW//'s slogan for the mki is, "this machine kiils carbon." As I put it, "this machine complements carbon," at a good price.
Cannondale Supersixevo 4 (7.05 kg)
Retired: Chapter2, Tarmac SWorks SL6, Orbea, Dogma F8\F10, LOW, Wilier, Ridley Noah, Cervelo R3\R5\S2\Aspero, Time Fluidity, Lapierre Pulsium, Cyfac, Felt, Klein, Cannondale pre-CAAD aluminum

Wookski

by Wookski

Stendhal wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:07 am
Given the excellent information in this thread about problem welds as well as problem carbon, one can argue that the extra expense is worth it.
What a reasonable position :D Honestly, I just like “higher-end alloy” because of the response it receives from the crowd that just doesn’t get it. Oh, and it performs brilliantly.

robertbb

by robertbb

MayhemSWE wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:01 pm
Speaking of Canyon specifically, I would assume that the lower grade Ultimate and Endurace CF SL Disc frames are made in the same factory as the higher grade SLX Disc frames because they appear to be using the very same molds. The CF SL rim brake frames however still use the previous generation molds so may well be manufactured in a different factory than the SLX rim brake frames (and either disc brake frames).
I agree with this.

flying

by flying

Wookski wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:51 am
Stendhal wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:07 am
Given the excellent information in this thread about problem welds as well as problem carbon, one can argue that the extra expense is worth it.
What a reasonable position :D Honestly, I just like “higher-end alloy” because of the response it receives from the crowd that just doesn’t get it. Oh, and it performs brilliantly.
In 1st century BC, Publilius Syrus wrote: "Something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it"

Since this age old wisdom still holds true today I would say you both paid what your frames were worth :thumbup: