Dedicated Winter Bike

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ergott

by ergott

I think the bottom line is that if you want to do hard efforts in the extreme cold you can't get the layers right. I resort to virtual trainer indoors for any sort of hard workout. When I'm outside I'm just doing mostly base buildup and commuting.

Multebear

by Multebear

mattr wrote:
Ridley do a part for the X-Trail too. FRPBRIRID001 if you can source one. Seem to be a bit thin on the ground.

SKS mudguards come with a plastic piece that can be ziptied in place, that does the same job.
Also Bowmans have a solution that you might be able to purchase.

Or failing that, two p-clips and 20mm of steel with three holes........

I'm goint to check out the other options that you mention.

Regarding clothes; have you tried the Castelli Gabba with some baselayers and jerseys under?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mattr

by mattr

Personally, no. But the two or three guys i know with them say they are of limited use, as if they fit properly in the early part of the winter season, you can't get enough under them by november to not freeze unless you buy a size too big. (was -6 when i would have gone training last night, forecast is for -10 by the weekend)

It is something i'll probably look at in the spring (the convertible version is already on the shortlist.)

Multebear

by Multebear

The intended use is over your racejersey, since they are an alternative to a rainjacket. Water repellant though still slim racefit.

I've done training in 0 degrees celsius with two baselayers and two jerseys underneath. I was wearing two Castelli Nano Flex arm warmers as well. No issues.

BTW the convertible version isn't that great. Better of with short jersey + Nano Flex arm warmers. They way you unzip the arms, is a PITA and it looks awful.

From Milan San Remo 2013

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

oldnslow2 wrote:
mattr wrote:
oldnslow2 wrote:It's great in the cold weather and in the rain.
No it's not. You'll get soaked riding that in the rain. So will anyone with you.

I tried 2 different sets of fenders, neither fit well.

I ride solo and if you wear the right cloths, you don't get wet.

You do realize that waterproof clothes in this sport are non-existent, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

There are waterproof clothes in our sport, but not when its raining or wet outside.

waltthizzney

by waltthizzney

anyone have a a genesis equilibrium in rim brake model? Can it fit 30mm tires or 28mm GP4000

TonyM

by TonyM

mpulsiv wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:17 pm
You do realize that waterproof clothes in this sport are non-existent, right?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't be that sarcastic! :mrgreen:

At least the rain jackets and rain caps with GoreTex and eVent are waterproof and breathable.
For the rest either water repellent or waterproof but not breathable...

mattr

by mattr

Nah. They aren't.
Not in any meaningful sense.

dim

by dim

I will be buying another bike in the next week or two (gravel/adventure bike) .... I will buy used and have made a shortlist

1st choice is a a GT Grade

2nd Choice is a Specialized Diverge

3rd choice is a Whyte

I want a bike that has disk brakes, that can take wide tyres, that can take a rack and mudguards

I will change the wheelset to tubeless, add a dynamo hub and lighting, and will upgrade the groupset to Ultegra or Dura Ace

this will be my daily commuter and winter bike. I have a budget of £600 and have been checking ebay for a few weeks and I'm sure that I will find something suitable ... I get paid next Friday 8)
Last edited by dim on Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

TonyM

by TonyM

mattr wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:50 pm
Nah. They aren't.
Not in any meaningful sense.
I use the following and they do work...
waterproof and breathable :thumbup:

- GoreTex ONE Shake Dry jacket:
https://www.gorewear.com/us/en-us/gore- ... gid=gw_men

- Castelli eVent Tempesta race:
https://www.castelli-cycling.com/Produc ... 451551017A

- Sportful FIandre eVent rain cap:
https://www.sportful.com/Root/Cycling/A ... 110163917A

I can really recommend these!

I now have the full range of rain products from Castelli, Sportful, Assos etc.. since I moved to British Columbia in Canada and I can confirm that the other are either only water repellent or waterproof but nit really breathable.

Attermann

by Attermann

Multebear wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:20 pm
kervelo wrote:
The missing bridge from the rear may also require some special fitting of the fender.
This will be a big problem. Not impossible, but it will be very difficult to make a DIY solution that will actually Work and keep working.

I have the same problem on my Giant, and haven't found a way to solve it yet.
I have a solution, will post again in about a week, then you can see my solution

Multebear

by Multebear

Attermann wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:58 pm

I have a solution, will post again in about a week, then you can see my solution

As someone else mentioned, this is actually a good solution (GT Grade fender mount):

ergott

by ergott

I would probably reverse that and mount with plastic tabs on top of stays. Is that how the directions say to install it?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I hate indoor training so I have to train on the road. in winter doing efforts is awkward as I never feel like it but it is possible to get the layer rights I has to be around zero to three degrees though. any warmer and the log sleeved jacket/top has to come off. gloves not need in the dry above 4 or 5 degrees.

I mostly wear a alutra thermocool base layer, a short sleeved jersey and a vermac long sleeved jacket/top