SRAM Etap. Six months in, how you getting on?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

seaneT1

by seaneT1

fordred wrote:
As cool as etap is, 6800 have been flawless to me for 2 bikes. Apart from the initial cable stretch in the first couple of weeks which requires a few clicks on the barrel adjuster, I never had to adjust anything till the cables needed changing. Front D shifting never missed a beat as well, but it does need trimming.

Sorry, had to defend 6800.

Oh and you should! even mine worked, the problem was the inner cable routing on my bikes, not the gears, sorry for not specifying it :doh:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

glepore

by glepore

Ok, I'm about to set out on installing etap for the first time. What is the secret to getting the front derailleur set up correctly?
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

seaneT1

by seaneT1

glepore wrote:Ok, I'm about to set out on installing etap for the first time. What is the secret to getting the front derailleur set up correctly?

From what I understood, you should NOT try to set it up like a shimano or anything like that, you must simply follow the instructions from the videos that sram made. At least that's what my mechanic did: at first he tried seeting it up like he knew (shimano etc) and it didn't work..at all! Then,after a week full of problems and of continiously trying the usual set up stuff but always to no avail, he sat in front of the computer for about 15 minutes watching the videos, went to set it up again, and now, I just have perfect shifting all the time :D

sungod

by sungod

glepore wrote:Ok, I'm about to set out on installing etap for the first time. What is the secret to getting the front derailleur set up correctly?

yes, as above, follow sram's instructions, that should be fine in most cases

if not, you can tweak the position to get it just right

there're so many combinations of frame and other component dimensions that there's no other sensible way to start

do check the clearance of limit screws with crank arm - note that the fd 'overshifts' then moves back, if there's only a tiny clearance under static conditions it's likely the screw will catch during upshift

glepore

by glepore

RTFM, thanks! :thumbup: :beerchug:

I will check the limit, external bb frame with red cranks ...
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

Definitely watch the video or read the instructions in the box. As others mentioned, chainstay length, Q-factor, derailleur tab flex and other variables will come into play. Pay close attention to the hash marks on the top of the cage, and you may need to set it up slightly higher than you would any other front derailleur.

edit to add........top screw is high limit, bottom screw is low. Don't think it even states that anywhere in any of the materials.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

Rex

by Rex

wheelbuilder wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:09 pm
Pay close attention to the hash marks on the top of the cage, and you may need to set it up slightly higher than you would any other front derailleur.
Upgraded to etap last Saturday after 2+years of DA 9150 useage.
Loving the etap.

As quoted, I had to set the FD a little higher than that line otherwise the cage was hitting the teeth of my chainring.
I also don't have room between the FD and seat-tube to fit the plastic spacer, but I don't think it's necessary.

Question regarding micro-adjusting the RD, does the adjustment only affect the particular gear or the whole range ?

MirkoR

by MirkoR

The Whole Range!

Daniel1975

by Daniel1975

Rex wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:28 am
need to set it up slightly higher than you would any other front derailleur.
Upgraded to etap last Saturday after 2+years of DA 9150 useage.
Loving the etap.
[/quote]

2+ years 9150......? :noidea:

Charlie Chan

by Charlie Chan

Ive had mine for a year with no major problems, really like it. I do have an issue with it shifting into gear rather hard for lack of a better term. Ive tried it with Shimano and campagnolo cassettes (shimano chain) and both seem to suffer from the chain shifting into gear with a very firm loud clunk I dont get with my Di2 bike. Tried adjusting the b-screw and even the chain length but no dice.

ancker

by ancker

I've been on eTap since early 2016. Absolutely love it. So much that I bought another group to put on my second road bike.
Having spent almost two years with it, I can't stand dealing with or fighting to keep a mechanical system in tune anymore.

Shifting is perfect every time. Easy to install and set up. Everything about it is awesome.

I've never ridden Di2, so I can't compare.

izza

by izza

I’ve had it for two years with no hassles. Love it.

The only changes I got were blips made from computer mice switches from Australia.

Only change Id like to see is a firmware update to allow sequential shifting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

First etap casualty.......... crash that resulted in broken collarbone and three broken ribs, also demanded replacement of right shifter! Still so in love with etap. Some front derailleur problems along the way, but has been perfect since then. Coming up on 2 years, and can't even imagine using Di2 or mechanical again for any reason.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

TimW

by TimW

I crashed and scuffed lever on my etap HRD. Would be nice if it was possible to just buy a new blade, but cannot see this part listed anywhere or how it could be changed?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

jlok

by jlok

I crashed mine as well a few months ago. Glad I didn't change it as I crashed again last week....... got a pretty bad bruise on the RD but it survived. hanger bent and replaced and no tuning is needed after that all work 100%...
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com