SRAM Etap. Six months in, how you getting on?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

The benefit of Shimano's button setup is that when I shift the front I also simultaneously shift the rear. I don't think that's possible with eTap's two buttons. So in summary I can shift much faster than I can with eTap. There's also the benefit of the increased shift speed with a wired system. A guy on the internet did some research using high speed cameras and he confirmed the shift speed advantage of the Di2. To each and his own...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

photek

by photek

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:38 pm
The benefit of Shimano's button setup is that when I shift the front I also simultaneously shift the rear. I don't think that's possible with eTap's two buttons. So in summary I can shift much faster than I can with eTap. There's also the benefit of the increased shift speed with a wired system. A guy on the internet did some research using high speed cameras and he confirmed the shift speed advantage of the Di2. To each and his own...
Yep, I guess that's correct - you can't shift front and back at the same time....however the occasions when I need to change front and back at the same time are so rare I've never even noticed this as an issue.

I've also heard/read that eTap shifts a bit slower than Di2, the fact that high speed cameras were required to capture the speed advantage suggests that the difference is not all that great :P
2019 Trek Emonda SLR, SRAM eTap groupset, eeBrakes G4, Berk Lupina Saddle, TUNE Schwarzbrenner 60mm wheelset - 6.4 kg

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

How do you manage the shift the front without corresponding shifts in the rear? A shift in the rear is needed to maintain the same cadence. Anyways I don't want to start a war between Di2 and eTap. I'm merely trying to point out that each has their own advantages and disadvantages.

photek

by photek

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:03 pm
How do you manage the shift the front without corresponding shifts in the rear? A shift in the rear is needed to maintain the same cadence. Anyways I don't want to start a war between Di2 and eTap. I'm merely trying to point out that each has their own advantages and disadvantages.
Just pedal harder!! Kidding...you are right, that is a pain sometimes :(
2019 Trek Emonda SLR, SRAM eTap groupset, eeBrakes G4, Berk Lupina Saddle, TUNE Schwarzbrenner 60mm wheelset - 6.4 kg

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

photek wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:55 pm
pdlpsher1 wrote:
Yep, I guess that's correct - you can't shift front and back at the same time....however the occasions when I need to change front and back at the same time are so rare I've never even noticed this as an issue.

I complete a shift or two with the RD just about every time I shift the FD.

Gearjunkie

by Gearjunkie

It actually is (sort of) possible to, at the same time, shift front and rear with Etap.

Hold both levers (effects front shift), then release one lever but hold the other (effects rear shift, up or down depending on which lever you hold and multiple shifts, depending on how long you hold).

By the time the chain does a rev around the chain rings (and so effects the front shift) the rear shift will be complete. So is done at the "same" time.

:beerchug:

sungod

by sungod

pdlpsher1 wrote:
"much faster"? irrelevantly faster would be more accurate

as above, it's possible to front+rear on etap within a short period

Jugi

by Jugi

sungod wrote: "much faster"? irrelevantly faster would be more accurate

as above, it's possible to front+rear on etap within a short period
My fingers are so fast, I can give the commands for simultaneous FD+RD shifts quicker than the FD is able to complete it's shift. I'd quess it is pretty much the same for Di2. So not much performance is lost, but of course two button pushes are always marginally easier than two + one.

octav

by octav

I have owned both Ultegra DI2/ Sram Etap and SUper Record mechanical. Maybe it would matter for some pros on the final 3kms of a race for mechanical vs electronical.

But Etap vs DI2 the difference is really too marginal.

calv1n

by calv1n

octav wrote:I have owned both Ultegra DI2/ Sram Etap and SUper Record mechanical. Maybe it would matter for some pros on the final 3kms of a race for mechanical vs electronical.

But Etap vs DI2 the difference is really too marginal.
Which do you prefer? Thanks

octav

by octav

For the moment I sold the etap(which was on my gravel/cyclocross bike) to install my SuperRecord 11 from my roadbike. Want to upgrade to Super Record 12 on my roadbike.
So I would say I prefer mechanical but it's just that I like the feeling. Otherwise I would say Etap is the way to go. No cables, easy install no/low maintenance and I like how it looks.

azmio

by azmio

sungod wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:48 pm
seanlsc wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:11 pm
Can anyone tell me if Wifli or non wifli is better? Sounds like non wifli is problematic at times
what knowledge have you of the differential failure rate over time per unit population? if you have none, there's no objective basis for your supposition
The defective wifli RD problem is not only happening in the US and Europe, it is also happening in Asia. The buying power in this region is not as strong as in the US and Europe, imagine the pain and misery to the "victims".

I for once thought that SRAM Red represents the pinnacle in terms of quality, service and workmanship, but I was wrong. Quality is a matter of luck and with this particular Red product, there are many unlucky "victims".

My bike has been kept by the local bike shop for more than a month and there is still no response from the regional distributor. Perhaps, they have been overwhelmed by too many returns? I dont know. It makes me wonder too on why they continue selling it knowing that they will have plenty of defective products that will surely erode the brand. I will give it few more weeks and I will likely bring them to a customers' tribunal someday.

azmio

by azmio

sungod wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:48 pm
seanlsc wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:11 pm
Can anyone tell me if Wifli or non wifli is better? Sounds like non wifli is problematic at times
what knowledge have you of the differential failure rate over time per unit population? if you have none, there's no objective basis for your supposition
The defective wifli RD problem is not only happening in the US and Europe, it is also happening in Asia. The buying power in this region is not as strong as in the US and Europe, imagine the pain and misery to the "victims".

I for once thought that SRAM Red represents the pinnacle in terms of quality, service and workmanship, but I was wrong. Quality is a matter of luck and with this particular Red product, there are many unlucky "victims".

My bike has been kept by the local bike shop for more than a month and there is still no response from the regional distributor. Perhaps, they have been overwhelmed by too many returns? I dont know. It makes me wonder too on why they continue selling it knowing that they will have plenty of defective products that will surely erode the brand. I will give it few more weeks and I will likely bring them to a customers' tribunal someday.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:03 pm

Simultaneous shifting without any sort of delay is undesirable IMO. Even Shimano Synchro Shift adds a bit of a delay because otherwise there is a lot of springy fore/aft cage movement.

Anyway with eTap you just shift up front by pushing both paddles, then you release one paddle and you’ve basically performed a synchronized shift. If I want to shift up to the big ring, I press both paddles and release the right paddle, then I release the left paddle after a second. That results in a shift to the big ring and two downshifts in the rear. I do it all the time and it works very well in practice.
Last edited by TobinHatesYou on Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

You know... when i got etap, i thought i was making a compromise to modern di2 with the synchro shift. Now i am happy that i don’t have that feature. I don’t want the system to chose if/when it will adjust front and or back. I want to do that myself so that there are no surprises. I would set di2 up like etap if i had it... thus i got etap.

I also vastly prefer manual cars...

In other news, i rode the brand new 105 a few weeks ago. Rear shifting was great... front... i like etap/di2. Totally spoiled now.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com