SRAM Etap. Six months in, how you getting on?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

taodemon

by taodemon

Probably still too early but my dad has been on the wifli for about 3 months now without any issues.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Frankie13

by Frankie13

Just called CC and started a warranty claim for my wifli rear derailleur who started acting up and freezes up for a short time and then shifts in the gear that was selected before it froze up. I guess I will sent that baby back. First time I ever bought and tried SRAM components. I'm a Campagnolo guy forever for mechanical components and do love my Dura Ace DI2 that never missed a beat in almost 3 years. SRAM Etap isn't even close to DI2 but I choose Etap because my Canyon Ultimate CF10 is a mechanical frame and I love it to much to not ride the frame but wanted to have electronic shifting on this bike as well. Let's see what happens.

sungod

by sungod

seanlsc wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:11 pm
Can anyone tell me if Wifli or non wifli is better? Sounds like non wifli is problematic at times
what knowledge have you of the differential failure rate over time per unit population? if you have none, there's no objective basis for your supposition

kode54

by kode54

every once in awhile...i get a HG901 that doesn't last as long as I'm used to. I'm sure its similar to most chains?
Nefarious86 wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:02 pm
kode54 wrote:not much mileage on that and .5 falls through. looks like you wax your chain as well.
That was only 419km and it didnt fall in but wasnt particularly tight to get in. Had been using Bike Mix from new for the first 340km odd then washed and waxed with Soudal wax for the last 80km of use.

Usually get 4k km out of a 6800 chain.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

ArtV

by ArtV

Frankie13 wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:52 pm
Just called CC and started a warranty claim for my wifli rear derailleur who started acting up and freezes up for a short time and then shifts in the gear that was selected before it froze up. I guess I will sent that baby back. First time I ever bought and tried SRAM components. I'm a Campagnolo guy forever for mechanical components and do love my Dura Ace DI2 that never missed a beat in almost 3 years. SRAM Etap isn't even close to DI2 but I choose Etap because my Canyon Ultimate CF10 is a mechanical frame and I love it to much to not ride the frame but wanted to have electronic shifting on this bike as well. Let's see what happens.
I am having the same issue with my wifli Etap derailler. Did they make you take it into a shop?

Thanks

ArtV

chunky666

by chunky666

chunky666 wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:40 pm
Got a RD that packed in today 11miles into a 68mile ride. HAd to do the remaining ride with 52-32 and 36-32 as my only two gears!

Lest few rides it has occasionally stopped responding for a few shifts and then would just start working again. Then today it packed in for good.

-Swapped Batteries round to no avail(freshly charged the night before)
-Tried shifting using button on RD- no joy
-Tried pairing shifters to to RD and FD again.- FD paired okay as did RD but still no movement

Light on RD comes on when I try and shift in either direction but no movement or any form of noise to indicate a servo trying to work etc.

GOing to speak to my LBS who built the bike up for me a few weeks ago and see if they can speak to Winwave/SRAM as the RD is 13montsh old and I believe they have a 2 year warrenty?

ANyone had similar and know any 'tricks' ?
Took the bike apart and drove it over to the LBS.

Reassembled bike and guess what! Started working!

However mechanics started having a fiddle as it was a bit noisy and the b screw needed a bit of an adjustment and while doing that it failed again. Same thing.

Replacement temp RD fitted from the mechanics own bike and old one sent back for warranty replacement :thumbup:

Frankie13

by Frankie13

ArtV wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:33 pm
Frankie13 wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:52 pm
I am having the same issue with my wifli Etap derailler. Did they make you take it into a shop?

Thanks

ArtV
I never have my bikes in a shop. Do all my stuff at home. CC is submitting claim to SRAM. CC is super responsive and about the best claim customer service I have experienced. They just emailed me all was already submitted to SRAM.
Doesn't get any better other then not have issues at all.

kookie

by kookie

Well after less than 900km (bought it July 2017) of using eTap, the left shifter battery keeps draining. I have gone through 3 batteries (2 of them new in the last two weeks). Last one installed new on Saturday July 28th, went for a 3 hour ride on Sunday and now Tuesday the shifter is dead. Will be taking it to the shop this week.

Had a similar issue with Quarq Dzero power meter. After few months of waiting, Quarq finally gave me a new one.

CharlesHRCC

by CharlesHRCC

I am based in UK and have recently fitted full SRAM Red Etap groupset with WiFli RD, 11-32 cassette. Sourced from Chain Reaction Cycles, part of Wiggle, and fitted myself. The whole drive train is new as I have also fitted SRAM Red 50-34 compact cranks (replacing original 54-39 full size) and LBS has replaced PF30 BB30 bottom bracket. Bike is 2012 Canondale SuperSix Evo.

Like others, I found it quite niggly with setup, especially on the FD and with indexing in middle of cassette, but it is now running beautifully and a joy to use.

Unfortunately though, I too have started experiencing the RD becoming unresponsive, then coming to life again. In my case the worst period was around 15 seconds, but it is happening several times on each ride. I have counted 11 posters on this thread alone raising this issue with their own RD's going back to aerozy Sep 13 2017, and several others on the youtube thread posted by GeorgeRH on June 3 2018. If I have understood correctly, all but one have had the issue fixed by getting the RD replaced under warranty.

This post is to simply report another instance of this problem and also to ask if anyone has any advice on how best to get it replaced under warranty as I fitted it myself, I believe SRAM UK don't deal directly with the public and it was an online supplier. Obviously I can simply follow Chain Reaction's warranty return process but I need to make sure of success as this is such an expensive groupset so any advice would be much appreciated. Like others I have big events in the pipeline and I just cannot risk having a gearing failure.

sungod

by sungod

contact chain reaction, warranty process is via the retailer

doesn't matter who fitted it

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

This doesn't sound very good. I had hoped child diseases had been sorted out since Etap has been around a few years now..
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

sungod

by sungod

wheelsONfire wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:57 pm
This doesn't sound very good. I had hoped child diseases had been sorted out since Etap has been around a few years now..
do you know the failure rate per unit population per operating hour?

if you did you'd be able to provably falsify the statement: etap is extremely reliable, loads of it out there, running is all conditions for years, only a few dead ones

a few posts on internet forums is no scientific basis for assessing product reliability, there're far more di2 issues reported, big deal, because the more there is and the longer it's out there, the more problems there will be

it's problems people report, not lack of them

Frankie13

by Frankie13

I contacted Competitive Cyclist which I bought my Etap set from and after only 3days SRAM did send a new wifli deraliuer to CC and they over nighted the new one. It's working flawless so far and no freeze up currently. CC was awesome to deal with for my warranty claim.

Bassett

by Bassett

RD failed again so that will be me on my 3rd one in less than 6 months use (all wifli)😕 another trip to Merlin tomorrow to sort it .

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

Bassett wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:49 pm
RD failed again so that will be me on my 3rd one in less than 6 months use (all wifli)😕 another trip to Merlin tomorrow to sort it .
Has your faith in SRAM Etap been eroded by these continual issues? Is the rest of the group and its benefits - wireless and hood shape, perhaps - worth the trouble for you? I am not trying to be a jerk but I wonder how folks put up with these repeated failures and conclude that the performance of Etap otherwise must be fantastic. Is that the case for you?