SRAM Etap. Six months in, how you getting on?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Bassett

by Bassett

New rear mech being posted back by Merlin today so good service from SRAM and Merlin

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sungod

by sungod

that's good to hear :)

on the indexing, maybe another possible is a slightly flexy hanger? or hanger screws being loose?

with mechanical shifting there's some feedback through the cable as you shift, it's slower moving to large cogs, and just under spring power moving to small

with motors, the chain just gets shoved, hard, if the mount flexes/twists too much it will affect things

when you adjust so that the shift happens without stuttering, the hanger is under side load, once the shift is over the side force stops and the cage may move slightly

morganb

by morganb

Anyone running an 11-30 cassette on the short cage derailleur? I am building up a Tarmac Expert and was thinking of trying the cassette that came on it since this is going to be my bike for hilly rides.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

morganb wrote:Anyone running an 11-30 cassette on the short cage derailleur? I am building up a Tarmac Expert and was thinking of trying the cassette that came on it since this is going to be my bike for hilly rides.
Yes no problems
Might even have room for a 32 but have not tried
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

octav

by octav

Running 11-30 SHimano Ultegra Cassette. Tried also a 11-32 but it's a little bit too tight.
Tried it also with a RoadLink and it works perfectly with 11-32.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

So since switching to chain waxing, I've been rotating four different brands of chains...one per 300-400mi. KMC X11SL, Wippermann Connex 11SX, Campagnolo Record and YBN SLA110.

The KMC and Campagnolo chains shift the best and are also the lightest chains in the group. The YBN and Wippermann chains just shift worse overall...I sometimes even throw the chain over the big ring with them while that never happens with the KMC or Campy chain. The YBN and Wippermann chains also lag in shifting through the smallest cogs in the cassette in either direction as the chain approaches 200mi since waxing.

Shrike

by Shrike

morganb wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 11:27 am
Anyone running an 11-30 cassette on the short cage derailleur? I am building up a Tarmac Expert and was thinking of trying the cassette that came on it since this is going to be my bike for hilly rides.
Yes, have this setup on the missus' Aeroad and it's great. That frame can also handle a 32 though I suspect it caused some issues with the hanger so personally wouldn't go that far again.

morganb

by morganb

Thanks for the feedback everyone, hopefully going to get the bike together today so I'll see how it goes. Looks like it should work well though.

naambezet

by naambezet

I also had problems with the RD not responding. Happened two times so far, both times fixed by reconnecting the battery. Haven't taken any actions so far.

morganb

by morganb

The 11-30 shifts perfectly. R8000 Cassette and chain.

GeorgeRH

by GeorgeRH

Hi guys,

I am the owner of a SRAM eTAP group for over 3 months now. So far so good except one thing that started to happen in the last week for about 3 times now. It happens then when I shift while on the road the RD or FD wil not do the command. I can see the LED on the RD and FD lightning green but nothing happens- I press the shifter pads multiple times but nothing. Then, all of a sudden, after a randon time (20 to 30 or 40 sec) the shifts will occur. It it identical to this behavior I saw on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qsz6Rz8_-Uw

What is wrong? I thought that it might be due to electromagnetic interferences on the road (high voltage electrical poles), but then it happened to me at home as well on the stand. The batteries in both derailleuers are fully charged.

I would really appreciate your feedback. I am preparing for Maratona dles Dolomites in 1 month, and the thought of this happening on one of the slopes and not beng able to change to a smaller gear makes me tremble...Please give your feedback if you have ever had experience with this kind of behavior.

Cheers,

George.

PS: I am in Germany, but unfortunatelly did not find a SRAM contact address where I could forward my query...

Bassett

by Bassett

Used for the 400k Tinat event over the weekend worked fine in some testing conditions still not indexed perfectly but I can live with it ...... But a chap from Europe who came over to do the event had his rear mech failed ,so mines going to get moved to a tt bike(will buy the blip box) and I’m putting my old manual red back on as I’m not taking the chance it will fail again as I do mainly long unsupported events

sungod

by sungod

GeorgeRH wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:43 am
Hi guys,

I am the owner of a SRAM eTAP group for over 3 months now. So far so good except one thing that started to happen in the last week for about 3 times now. It happens then when I shift while on the road the RD or FD wil not do the command. I can see the LED on the RD and FD lightning green but nothing happens- I press the shifter pads multiple times but nothing. Then, all of a sudden, after a randon time (20 to 30 or 40 sec) the shifts will occur. It it identical to this behavior I saw on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qsz6Rz8_-Uw

What is wrong? I thought that it might be due to electromagnetic interferences on the road (high voltage electrical poles), but then it happened to me at home as well on the stand. The batteries in both derailleuers are fully charged.

I would really appreciate your feedback. I am preparing for Maratona dles Dolomites in 1 month, and the thought of this happening on one of the slopes and not beng able to change to a smaller gear makes me tremble...Please give your feedback if you have ever had experience with this kind of behavior.

Cheers,

George.

PS: I am in Germany, but unfortunatelly did not find a SRAM contact address where I could forward my query...
sounds like it's faulty, warranty time

naambezet

by naambezet

naambezet wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 9:58 pm
I also had problems with the RD not responding. Happened two times so far, both times fixed by reconnecting the battery. Haven't taken any actions so far.
Ok, it stopped mid ride responding at all. Battery was full, re-pairing doesn't work. What a piece of shit.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mutellator

by mutellator

I posted about this problem earlier on behalf of my girlfriend. This has never occurred on my rear derailleur, but my her setup has been plagued by issues.
Derailleur 1: experienced freezing, so Sram warrantied and gave her a new rear derailleur.
Derailleur 2: experienced freezing, so Sram warrantied and gaver her a new rear derailleur and new shifters.
Derailleur 3: experienced freezing, so Sram sent her an entire new Wifli gruppo (shifters + derailluers + batteries + chargers + dongle + cassette + chain) (she had regular cage before this)

Now the new Wifli rear derailleur is acting up on multiple different cassettes and chains. Has Sram ever given any clarification on what causes this? Are these derailleurs so commonly faulty?? It seems like it only ever occurs in the middle of the cassette and shifting the front derailleur seems to prompt the rear into shifting.