Best Aero handlebar?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

Need to build up an Sworks Tarmac and need a 40cm bar for it.

Would like to go aero for the first time, but it must be light!

Any recommendations?

I quite like the look of the 3T Aeronova LTD, but it ain't cheap!

DamenH85

by DamenH85

I've used both a Zipp SL-70 Aero in 38cm (on a Specialized Allez) and a Cervelo Aerobar (on a 2015 S5) in 40cm. I'm not really sure how to compare them. I like them both. I like the look of the Zipp's more, and I can use an out-front K-edge Garmin mount and a light. Mounting is a bit more of an issue to solve with the Cervelo bar. I currently run my Garmin on the stem.

Both are comfortable enough. I've done a few century rides on both. Sorry I can't be more help.

Zipp Sl-70 aero, 38cm: 225g
Cervelo Aerobar, 40cm: 264g

Zipp's on 2010 Allez:

Cervelo on 2015 S5:

damen

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

NealH

by NealH

What saddle is that?

DamenH85

by DamenH85

NealH wrote:What saddle is that?

Allez: Specialized Sitero
S5: Fizik Arione Versus K:ium

damen

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

I don't know of any 'aerobar vs. aerobar with same stem' testing that's been done (if so, someone point it out!) - but I would say that if you consider most aero handlebars to be more-or-less within .5 watt of each other then the factors you really should be considering are the following:

1. Price. What can you afford?
2. Comfort. Try them out - some are good for holding onto the tops while climbing, others not so much, and that use depends on how you ride and where you ride.
3. Reach and Depth of the bars.
4. Bar bend shape.
5. Ease of installation (some internal routing methods are easier than others)

Everything else... aesthetics, for example, can be adjusted on your own.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

GothicCastle

by GothicCastle

cyclespeed wrote:I quite like the look of the 3T Aeronova LTD, but it ain't cheap!

Note that (I believe) these bars flare out a bit on the drops, so the 40 bars are not 40 on the hoods, where you might want it.

mrgray

by mrgray

i have the Enve SES Aero Road Bar and i like it alot. get the narrowest one that exists and enjoy. one of the best things about it is how cool it looks as the front of it twists inward. if you want to use it with a light though forget it. also no room for mounts. i just use it for racing so it works for me. i have heard that some have had issues with cable routing but i did not.
Bobo S&S Steel Bike - 7.5 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg
Look 695 SR :D

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

I used the 3T ergonova Ltd in the past and it was very flexible when you are in the drops, even though I never sprint and only weigh 68kg. Don't know if things are better for the aeronova though - test it if possible.

kkibbler

by kkibbler

Easton EC90 42 c-c
I like that it has straight tops vs something with massive forward flaring like Aeronova. Shape-wise it's pretty similar to Aerofly.
Unfortunately the clamp area is quite narrow, may have trouble with some stem and Garmin mount combos.
2 holes next to shifters for cable routing, 1 inner 1 outer. I imagine it suits any brand of shifter just fine.

RyanH

by RyanH

prendrefeu wrote:I don't know of any 'aerobar vs. aerobar with same stem' testing that's been done (if so, someone point it out!) - but I would say that if you consider most aero handlebars to be more-or-less within .5 watt of each other then the factors you really should be considering are the following:

2. Comfort. Try them out - some are good for holding onto the tops while climbing, others not so much, and that use depends on how you ride and where you ride.
4. Bar bend shape.

Blasphemy, no mention of weight as a criteria?!?!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Bogan

by Bogan

I had the same conundrum, Zipp vs Aeronova Ltd. Ended up with the Zipp. The main reason at 100kg weight, I didn't feel 100% confident with the Aeronova. Plus the forward flare of the Aeronova is massive.
MAMIL? Never. O.F.I.L. yeh! (Old F**ker in Lycra)

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

All very useful stuff, thanks! I think Spesh do an Sworks one too, but suspect it's not terribly light.

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

The aeronova have a huge reach too. This might be a good reference. http://blog.fairwheelbikes.com/reviews- ... ar-review/

There's also bontrager (at 38cm too), but not many like their stuff on non-Trek bikes.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

RyanH wrote:
prendrefeu wrote:I don't know of any 'aerobar vs. aerobar with same stem' testing that's been done (if so, someone point it out!) - but I would say that if you consider most aero handlebars to be more-or-less within .5 watt of each other then the factors you really should be considering are the following:

4. Bar bend shape.

Blasphemy, no mention of weight as a criteria?!?!

:lol: :lol:

They'e all damn heavy, dude. :evil:

Except, oddly, for some reason my LBS-bought SL70s came in at around 209g (size 40). :noidea:
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Kongbop

by Kongbop

Canyon, Scott and Trek's aero handlebars are pretty good.
:)