Corima MCC 47 S+ versus Lightweight Meilenstein

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bruno2000

by bruno2000

Interesting topic.
I have both in clincher version but you can not compare them.
Corima MCC clincher is 300gr heavier than LW Meilenstein.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

Ready to roll!

Rims a bit wider than LW, so had to let the brakes off a bit. Their pads very chunky too.

Tubs are Vittoria CX Isogrips in 23 (my normal tubs, as per the LWs).

The Corimas are a bit garish after the understated looks of the LWs, but the white lettering goes well with the frame.

And one with the LWs for reference;

zappafile123

by zappafile123

Looks absolutely gorgeous! pretty jelly right now
FactorOne|SartoSeta|StorckF.3|Enigma EliteHSS|SworksSL6|ColnagoC60/V3Rs|DeRosa Protos|BianchiXR4/2|BMCSLR01 16|Cdale EvoHM|Focus IzMax|RidleyHe SL/SLX|BH Ulight|BassoDiamante|Scapin DyseysS8|TimeRXRS/ZXRS|TCR SL|RidleyNoah|Look585|CerveloS5/S3

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

So 1st ride, 42km;

https://www.strava.com/activities/626570284

16'C, grey, Force 2/3 wind from the West (mostly tail).

The Corima's feel stiff, very stiff. They don't budge a mm. I often ride 'en danseuse', almost all my weight over the front, pulling hard on the bars. The front wheel stays ultra planted, no flex. The LWs are good here too, but this is stiffer.

Seem comfortable - I was running the same 100psi as I usually do. I would say slightly less road buzz than the LWs.

Aero-ness? (Is that a word?!) Impossible to say. In my mind I couldn't help imaging those thick round spokes at the back churning through the air, but that's all psychological. Certainly, I rode a good time today on this route that I know like the back of my hand, so nothing negative to say here.

Not much in the way of side winds today, but I felt nothing - no twitchiness or pushing.

The Corima brake pads screech like crazy though, hopefully they'll bed in.

Bearings feel very smooth, and the rear freehub has a Swiss watch kind of understated noise that's quite nice. The rims resonate a bit more than the LW's too.

Of course, this has to be a long term thing - you cannot judge these 2 pairs over just one or even ten rides. I reckon I will only build a true picture after about a month or so. The crunch moment will be which wheels I turn to for a big event, then I guess we have a winner.

I'm doing the Etape du Tour in 9 days, and I'll use the LWs' as it's what I know best, so no risks there.

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

zappafile123 wrote:Looks absolutely gorgeous! pretty jelly right now

Hey, I have 1 nice bike, you have 8! :D

zappafile123

by zappafile123

cyclespeed wrote:
zappafile123 wrote:Looks absolutely gorgeous! pretty jelly right now

Hey, I have 1 nice bike, you have 8! :D

Na, those are just the rigs Ive owned. These days I only have the Noah running 6800/Neutrons (my super-commuter) and the Oltre running 2015 campy SR/Xentis squad 5.8s. I was going to buy a Factor One this year but other priorities have gotten in the way.
FactorOne|SartoSeta|StorckF.3|Enigma EliteHSS|SworksSL6|ColnagoC60/V3Rs|DeRosa Protos|BianchiXR4/2|BMCSLR01 16|Cdale EvoHM|Focus IzMax|RidleyHe SL/SLX|BH Ulight|BassoDiamante|Scapin DyseysS8|TimeRXRS/ZXRS|TCR SL|RidleyNoah|Look585|CerveloS5/S3

Kongbop

by Kongbop

Really wanna to use this!!
How awesome look does it has

mrgray

by mrgray

@cyclespeed - hope you don't mind but since this is a review of aero wheels, can we hear from zappafile re: the Xentis? if you prefer we can appeal to zappa to start a new thread (or perhaps there is already one?).

looking forward to hearing more thoughts about the Corima as what i've read to date is that they are very fast. also i think they look cool.
Bobo S&S Steel Bike - 7.5 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg
Look 695 SR :D

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

2nd ride today, bit further, bit more blustery with mainly a side wind. Force 2-3, gusting 4 from WSW.

Was a bit twitchy, a long way from being any kind of problem, but found myself making the occasional correction, no big deal, but perhaps moreso than the LWs.

Another ride I know well and do often; https://www.strava.com/activities/627593432

Felt fairly fast despite the wind and me feeling a bit tired so again points to no aero disadvantage versus the LWs. Advantage? Possibly, still too early to say.

Slightly less pressure today about 90psi, felt very smooth, rolled very nicely.

Gonna put the LWs back on tonight and see how they feel now.

mrgray

by mrgray

hey cyclespeed - any updates? would love to hear what you think now that you've reverted back to the lightweights.
Bobo S&S Steel Bike - 7.5 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg
Look 695 SR :D

Fluoro7

by Fluoro7

cyclespeed wrote:SThe rims resonate a bit more than the LW's too.

What do you mean by this?
Wilier Zero7 (1st gen) Fluoro
RIP Cervelo R3 2012 White on Black

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

Been riding the LWs all week. Took them to the Etape which was dry and hot, so no braking issues!
Did 4h 7, which was good for 215th out of 16000 (and 10th 'old bloke'!).
The wheels performed great, they suit me perfectly, I can't find anything to criticize in them.
In my head , they are my 'best' wheels and any contender will have to work hard to knock them off that perch.
Tomorrow i get home and will put the Corimas back on.
The rear LW has developed a tiny amount of bearing play so i need to look at that.
They have done over 30000km though.
When i say that the Corimas resonate more i just mean noise wise which isn't a problem.
Probably just because the rim volume is larger.

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

On another note, it seems that aero tests in wheels do not, generally, take account of spoke rotation drag.
Even if the test rider is turning the wheels in the tunnel, it is only the linear drag being measured, not rotational. I.e. The force required by the rider to spin the spokes through the air is not being measured.
As I mentioned at the start, the surface area of the spokes of a wheel is considerable, and they are spinning fast through the air.
An important factor to consider surely?

zappafile123

by zappafile123

cyclespeed wrote:On another note, it seems that aero tests in wheels do not, generally, take account of spoke rotation drag.
Even if the test rider is turning the wheels in the tunnel, it is only the linear drag being measured, not rotational. I.e. The force required by the rider to spin the spokes through the air is not being measured.
As I mentioned at the start, the surface area of the spokes of a wheel is considerable, and they are spinning fast through the air.
An important factor to consider surely?

Pure speculation here - I'm no physicist - but the wheels spin during aero testing right, so I would have thought that the net drag of the wheel would include the drag created by the rotation of the spokes.

ichobi

by ichobi

Second the above sentiment. Why do you need to separate spoke drag when the wheels are measured as a (spinning) system? The system drag surely include spokes drag as most test are run with spinning wheels

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com