Chain lubricants

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Reuse until it feel loose. Then change.
So, yes, still many quicklinks but not tens of them.

HansZuDemFranz

by HansZuDemFranz

Since switching from Ultegra Di2 to Froce AXS, i have also switched back from waxing my chains to normal oil.
There were two reasons for this:
As far as I know, there arent any quicklinks that are officially rated for multiple uses for AXS. I know, a lot of people simply re-use the regular SRAM quick link, but I´m just too much of a chicken for that.
And the second reason is, that AXS is quite a bit louder than Di2. So a regular lube helps a lot in that regard. (I kind of forgot, just how quiet a drivetrain can be, when using oil based lubes)

So for now im using lube by Peaty`s. But I will definetely try the Silca Synergetic, as it seems to be one of the most advanced oil based lubes. Any other ideas?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

F10

by F10

I re-use the non-reusable ones, until they get all baggy. But then again i'm not taking any green jerseys...

Hexsense

by Hexsense

HansZuDemFranz wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:47 pm
So for now im using lube by Peaty`s. But I will definetely try the Silca Synergetic, as it seems to be one of the most advanced oil based lubes. Any other ideas?
Silca SuperSecret drip wax lube
or
Ceramic Speed UFO drip.
You can lean them on the bike with UFO clean.

Clean the chain super well first time. Then you can drip wax (and clean after gunky wet ride) for the rest of chain life.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

mag wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:09 pm
Those who hot wax your chains: don't you have to use a lot of quick links during the lifetime of the chain? Or do you reuse even those non-reusable ones?
Half my chains are Connex/Wippermann, which come with the unlimited reuse toolless quick-link.

HansZuDemFranz

by HansZuDemFranz

Hexsense wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:20 pm
HansZuDemFranz wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:47 pm
Silca SuperSecret drip wax lube
or
Ceramic Speed UFO drip.
You can lean them on the bike with UFO clean.

Clean the chain super well first time. Then you can drip wax (and clean after gunky wet ride) for the rest of chain life.
I have actually already tried the UFO drip. I even warmed it up to better penetrate the links, but it still got really loud after a couple kms.

Ritsuke

by Ritsuke

The UFO drip tends to get loud indeed, at least louder as compared to the Dynamic Wax Potion.
Road // 2023 S-Works Tarmac SL8 | Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 | Roval Rapide CLX
Gravel // 2023 Specialized Crux Pro | SRAM Force AXS | Roval Terra CL
Retired // 2022 S-Works Shiv TT // 2021 S-Works Tarmac SL7 // 2019 Specialized Allez Sprint Red Hook

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

And this is everyone’s periodic reminder that unless the loud noise is a squeak, your chain is just fine. The drier the wax formulation, the more raspy it will sound when cross-chained…that has nothing to do with penetration and everything to do with the external wax having ablated off. External wax does nothing for efficiency/lubrication, but it is the only protectant against corrosion.

eurperg

by eurperg

Fresh Zero Friction Cycling test results from rex_bike instagram:

MagicShite

by MagicShite

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:20 am
And this is everyone’s periodic reminder that unless the loud noise is a squeak, your chain is just fine. The drier the wax formulation, the more raspy it will sound when cross-chained…that has nothing to do with penetration and everything to do with the external wax having ablated off. External wax does nothing for efficiency/lubrication, but it is the only protectant against corrosion.
This. +1000

I tried a brand new chain (fully stripped with Methyl Spirit and Isoprop Alcohol) and the first application for 250km was entirely silent.

Prep work is also very important.

goixiz

by goixiz

Anyone use a supplement Drip wax in between Wax (melt) applications ?
I am thinking of homebrew a wax base drip for in between a 500km chain wax application with Silca Secret Wax formula.

Any homebrew mix? Care to share ? The formula that evaporates after application. Thank you
Last edited by goixiz on Sun Aug 22, 2021 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Eat More Rice !

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

That Rex stuff is really expensive!! I have used Finish line 1-step this season and i have zero complaints.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Jwoodward

by Jwoodward

I'm using Silca hot melt wax currently and happy with the results, much better product then AB IMO

Torbjorn

by Torbjorn

What wild west market this is, every other month there is a new product claiming to be faster than what was the fastest last month.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dj97223

by dj97223

Torbjorn wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 6:47 pm
What wild west market this is, every other month there is a new product claiming to be faster than what was the fastest last month.
This.

I, for one, don't buy the marketing re wax, or at least not enough to remove my chain, cook it, wax it, etc. I'm a big fan of clean drivetrains, but I just don't believe the wax hype.

I also don't understand how a waxed chain can be both noisy and efficient. Noise is a reflection of friction. :noidea:
“If you save your breath I feel a man like you can manage it. And if you don't manage it, you'll die. Only slowly, very slowly, old friend.”