Chain lubricants

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

HenryH

by HenryH

When I used UFO drip I always had to heat things up a bit. Loved that, but would wear out too quickly for my liking. Squirt I don't see any difference heating things up or not. Always apply in room temperature. Seems to do the trick.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alanyu

by alanyu

HenryH wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:13 pm
alanyu wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:30 pm
I have used squirt for over 20k km and have been using smoove for over 4k km. However, it's hard to say which one is better. I clean the chain thoroughly before the first application with ultrasonic, + actone and ethanol. Squirt lasts no more than 200 km and the rain can kill it easily, while smoove can last over 500 km and survive longer in rain, but smoove attracts more dirt and I have to clean the chain more rapidly. I'd rather have something in balance.
Do you find that Squirt works better with time? I would say 200 km fits well with how Squirt worked for me in the beginning, but now I can definitely go longer than 200 km. Probably did something like 400 km on the last one and it never started to make any noise even then.

Would agree on the issue with rain. Still works, but could definitely be better for rain.
Yes, squirt works better with time. I think it's kind of self-cleaning function working. At the beginning it lasted 150 km and later 180-200 km in my experience. Could run over 200 km but shifting was noisier, which I don't like.

dooglehead2

by dooglehead2

I tried putting UFO Drip V2 on my chain last night, and it caused the (initially dry) chain to rust a little while it dried overnight. Maybe I put on too much or something, but I'm wondering if the rust just made it less efficient than if I just used normal lube instead.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

dooglehead2 wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 6:56 pm
I tried putting UFO Drip V2 on my chain last night, and it caused the (initially dry) chain to rust a little while it dried overnight. Maybe I put on too much or something, but I'm wondering if the rust just made it less efficient than if I just used normal lube instead.

Do you live in a very humid climate or what? I doubt your chain was as dry as you think it was.

Bridgeman

by Bridgeman

On my 4th try with AB Wax I ended up getting 2 rides at less than 100 miles/160km. The last couple of miles to home the chain was the loudest I have ever heard with squeaking so bad, I was sure the chain was going to lock up any moment. I have been in contact with AB and they keep saying I haven't removed all the lube from chain and that I haven't waited 10 to 12 hours for solvent to gas out. I use spirits and 91% alcohol, with many cleaning with fresh fluids. This last try I waited 12 hours and hit the chain with a heat gun lightly. The is no way in hell this was will last 280km. The claim is 280km at 250 watts. If you are on a ride and you are spiking at 600, 800 and even over a 1000 watts you will be hydraulically extruding the wax out of the pin/roller cavities at a greater rate. I can clearly see evidence of this after my ride. I spoke with a friend yesterday, and we were both surprise that we had tried this wax unkowingly, and also at how few miles it lasted.

Lakal

by Lakal

Bridgeman wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 3:20 pm
On my 4th try with AB Wax I ended up getting 2 rides at less than 100 miles/160km. The last couple of miles to home the chain was the loudest I have ever heard with squeaking so bad, I was sure the chain was going to lock up any moment. I have been in contact with AB and they keep saying I haven't removed all the lube from chain and that I haven't waited 10 to 12 hours for solvent to gas out. I use spirits and 91% alcohol, with many cleaning with fresh fluids. This last try I waited 12 hours and hit the chain with a heat gun lightly. The is no way in hell this was will last 280km. The claim is 280km at 250 watts. If you are on a ride and you are spiking at 600, 800 and even over a 1000 watts you will be hydraulically extruding the wax out of the pin/roller cavities at a greater rate. I can clearly see evidence of this after my ride. I spoke with a friend yesterday, and we were both surprise that we had tried this wax unkowingly, and also at how few miles it lasted.
Thanks for the update. Adam from ZFC is having the exact same problem: https://zerofrictioncycling.com.au/late ... ng-news23/
Detail review of AB graphene Wax – Spoiler alert and flagged previously – this tested very poorly – am in discussions – of sorts – with lead scientist of AB – but again thankyou to many all over the world who have taken the time to write to me re their experience with AB wax – this has been very helpful to have them on file when discussing with AB and gives less ability for them to call my testing faulty. Which would be odd considering how happy they were with my testing for graphene lube.

Maybe you should also post this in the other thread: viewtopic.php?p=1671566#p1671566

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Zerofrictioncycling's test on Silca Hot Melt is up on the website. Again, many nice information scattered in a pretty poor convoluted writing style (though already improved over prior tests). I think Zerofrictioncycling really need someone to look into all the test results and summarize the findings into digestable video or short paragraph.
So that, geek can read his official full report. And the gist of it is approachable by general population.
https://zerofrictioncycling.com.au/wp-c ... verted.pdf

C36

by C36

Hexsense wrote:Zerofrictioncycling's test on Silca Hot Melt is up on the website. Again, many nice information scattered in a pretty poor convoluted writing style (though already improved over prior tests). I think Zerofrictioncycling really need someone to look into all the test results and summarize the findings into digestable video or short paragraph.
So that, geek can read his official full report. And the gist of it is approachable by general population.
Hexsense wrote:Zerofrictioncycling's test on Silca Hot Melt is up on the website. Again, many nice information scattered in a pretty poor convoluted writing style. I think Zerofrictioncycling really need someone to look into all the test results and summarize the findings into digestable video or short paragraph.
If you jump to « overview » at the end you have your one page summary...
[edit] removed pedantic comment probably unnecessary here... but still frustrating to see people wanting a 140 character summary on proper detailed work.

—————————————
- Supersix evo2 HM 5707g
- 1995 Miguel Indurain Pinarello restauration project
- R3000si Junior bike restauration project.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

I don't mind highly detailed test report.
His writing is just... convoluted with multiple things joined together.
For example, lengthy comparison between time required to maintain wet lube against wax lube do not belong to where it is posted, which is in the block 3 test analysis. When he conclude that wet lube don't save time vs wax lube then he proceed to block 4 results for a bit. Then again, go back to bashing misconception of wet lube in wet for more than half of section 4 analysis. Repeat for block 5. How is that a good writing layout for a review of Silca Hot Melt test result?

I am fine if the test is still 50 pages long. But if each section paragraph only focussing on analysing the data at hand. And then any offtopic further analysis can be its own sections later. That'd be already more approachable.

C36

by C36

Hexsense wrote:I don't mind highly detailed test report.
His writing is just... convoluted with multiple things joined together.
For example, lengthy comparison between time required to maintain wet lube against wax lube do not belong to where it is posted, which is in the block 3 test analysis. When he conclude that wet lube don't save time vs wax lube then he proceed to block 4 results for a bit. Then again, go back to bashing misconception of wet lube in wet for more than half of section 4 analysis. Repeat for block 5. How is that a good writing layout for a review of Silca Hot Melt test result?

I am fine if the test is still 50 pages long. But if each section paragraph only focussing on analysing the data at hand. And then any offtopic further analysis can be its own sections later. That'd be already more approachable.
You have a point on conveying the message :). Misunderstood your point... was just out of a meeting with a marketing guy that explained the engineering team that “people don’t care about your engineering work” but “we still need to explain why our product is better, ideally in 140”

—————————————
- Supersix evo2 HM 5707g
- 1995 Miguel Indurain Pinarello restauration project
- R3000si Junior bike restauration project.

theStig

by theStig

So I just started waxing last year. Rotating between batches of 11spd SRAM Red chains, an DA 11spd chains. Strip with spirits and alcohol, heat up MSW and I just leave it in there and take a nap. 3-4 hours maybe? I agitate it a little before and after.

So... its bone dry where I live. I go 500-600 miles (MILES, not KM) on a chain and there is no noise, no squeaking, no chatter, no binding, no roughness. I simply cannot tell when the wax is done, they behave and perform as when freshly waxed. So I've been cleaning-rewaxing every 600 miles just in case, but I am thinking I am doing something wrong.

Bridgeman

by Bridgeman

Lakal wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 5:26 pm
Bridgeman wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 3:20 pm
Thanks for the update. Adam from ZFC is having the exact same problem: https://zerofrictioncycling.com.au/late ... ng-news23/
Detail review of AB graphene Wax – Spoiler alert and flagged previously – this tested very poorly – am in discussions – of sorts – with lead scientist of AB – but again thankyou to many all over the world who have taken the time to write to me re their experience with AB wax – this has been very helpful to have them on file when discussing with AB and gives less ability for them to call my testing faulty. Which would be odd considering how happy they were with my testing for graphene lube.

Maybe you should also post this in the other thread: viewtopic.php?p=1671566#p1671566
Forgot to mention, on the last cleaning, I first boiled the chain to remove the wax, then went with extensive fluid cleaning/heat gun. I will not be using AB Wax in the future. Might even have damaged a brand new chain.

RideRunSwim

by RideRunSwim

Has any tried using Boeshield with Sram Axs? I am about to finish up my bottle of finish line dry and want to try something "better", without getting into chain waxing.

CyclingGiraffe

by CyclingGiraffe

RideRunSwim wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 1:39 am
Has any tried using Boeshield with Sram Axs? I am about to finish up my bottle of finish line dry and want to try something "better", without getting into chain waxing.
Not with SRAM AXS, but I used Boeshield for the better part of a year on Dura-Ace 9100 and did not like it. Despite trying various methods of applying/wiping off excess on several chains, I always had the same issues with (i) relatively limited longevity, and (ii) waxy gunk buildup on cogs, chainrings, and pulleys. The buildup was also very tenacious on both the drivetrain and clothes, if you accidentally got it on you. So, I went back to my ProGold, which seemed easier to use and clean. Currently using Silca's Synergetic, which I like -- simple drip on, wipe off and keeps the chain quiet for well over a week and much easier to wipe off the excess without tenacious gunky buildup.

I'm sure that Boeshield's defenders will come out and say I applied it wrong, was using too much, did not wipe off properly, etc. -- maybe so, maybe not, but based on my experience I won't use it again unless in a pinch.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RideRunSwim

by RideRunSwim

CyclingGiraffe wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 7:41 pm
RideRunSwim wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 1:39 am
Currently using Silca's Synergetic, which I like -- simple drip on, wipe off and keeps the chain quiet for well over a week and much easier to wipe off the excess without tenacious gunky buildup.
Thanks, did you let the Boeshield dry overnight?

I am also looking at Silva Synergetic but am confused. Is it for dry or wet conditions?

I only plan on riding in good weather, but wasn't sure if it was for that purpose since it's described as a "wet lube"