Chain lubricants

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ToileySiphon

by ToileySiphon

Luca199 wrote:Hi all,

New to chain waxing (fully immersive). Have been using ufo drip v2 until now, but switching to a fully clean and waxed YBN chain next week (waxed with molten speed wax). I've already purchased a bag of Silca hot melt wax, but I'm wondering if I can keep using ufo drip v2 or Silca super secret chain drip lube as a top-up to the fully waxed chain.

Example: ride for the first 300km on fully waxed chain, then wipe, top up with wax-drip lube (either Silca or UFO), ride another 300km, then fully wax again and so forth.

Not sure if the drip lube would cause contamination to the chain , which would then cause the full wax treatment to not stick/work properly....

Any experience with this approach out there? And what's the best way for it to work correctly?

Thanks!
I emailed MSW and they advised against it as it could contaminate the wax bath when re-waxing. But Silca says it's fine and probably the best way to go.

Maybe I'd play it safe and clean the chain with boiling water before re-waxing?

Envoyé de mon SM-G973W en utilisant Tapatalk

Luca199

by Luca199

Yes either way I'd use boiling water and fully dry the chain before rewaxing to ensure no contamination.

Do you know if you can use Silca gear wipes on a fully waxed chain (either with Silca hot melt blend or with msw)? Or would It leave any traces/film? Seems like its mainly water and alcohol...

I have loads of those and was thinking of wiping the waxed chain with them before doing the hot water bath, dry and then rewax...

Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Ask the Expert Ep 007: Chain Maintenance
In the video, dude says " One of the great things about wax is the re-cleaning is pretty simple", and recommends wiping the chain with Silca gear wipes before topping up (relubing) with Silca Super Secret drip lube.
In comments section:

Q: Is there any risk of "chemicals" in the gear wipes degrading the newly applied lube if the chain is not allowed to completely dry between wiping with gear wipes and applying lube?

Answer by Silca: No worries with gear wipe residue. They leave no residue behind and have an extremely fast flash time so it will be dry within a few seconds
Whether MSW concurs is another matter.

ArtV

by ArtV

ArtV wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:17 pm
Luca199 wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:16 am
Example: ride for the first 300km on fully waxed chain, then wipe, top up with wax-drip lube (either Silca or UFO), ride another 300km, then fully wax again and so forth.
That is what I am doing. Seems to work well.

ArtV
Just to clarify. I top up an already waxed chain with Silca wax. After 300km or so, I thoroughly clean the chain and re-wax it.

I only wax a thoroughly cleaned chain.

ArtV

ToileySiphon

by ToileySiphon

ArtV wrote:
ArtV wrote:
Luca199 wrote:

ArtV
Just to clarify. I top up an already waxed chain with Silca wax. After 300km or so, I thoroughly clean the chain and re-wax it.

ArtV
How do you clean it? Just hot water or something else?

Dakrisht

by Dakrisht

If you haven't watched this already, go do it. Phenomenal chain lube testing here.

https://youtu.be/FbFNrnQ4QUo

I've probably replied to this thread before but I use Dumond Tech Lite for road and Rock 'n Roll Gold for gravel and road as well.

The Dumond Lite has a higher viscosity than the Gold so it last a bit longer and is excellent for cruisers, city and fitness and does stay relatively clean. Although the Rock 'n Roll stays cleaner.

I've used every lube imaginable aside from the $45 UFO Drip nonsense.

ArtV

by ArtV

ToileySiphon wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:32 pm
ArtV wrote:
ArtV wrote:
Luca199 wrote:

ArtV

ArtV
How do you clean it? Just hot water or something else?

Simple green Pro HD in heated ultrasonic cleaner then shaken and soaked in mineral spirits then shaken in hot soapy water then rinse with water and dried with a leaf blower and clean towel.

I run the ultrasonic cleaner for an hour and it probably doesn't really need any more cleaning but it doesn't hurt. I am sure other methods work just fine but this works for me and the chain comes out really clean.

ArtV

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Dakrisht wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:53 pm
If you haven't watched this already, go do it. Phenomenal chain lube testing here.

https://youtu.be/FbFNrnQ4QUo

I've probably replied to this thread before but I use Dumond Tech Lite for road and Rock 'n Roll Gold for gravel and road as well.

The Dumond Lite has a higher viscosity than the Gold so it last a bit longer and is excellent for cruisers, city and fitness and does stay relatively clean. Although the Rock 'n Roll stays cleaner.

I've used every lube imaginable aside from the $45 UFO Drip nonsense.

Some of those tests are silly. Wax drip and dry lubes with lubricious solids will appear worse than most oil-based wet lube in the friction test. UFO Drip, like other wax drip lubes, ends up being more cost effective than a lube like RnR Gold.

Dakrisht

by Dakrisht

Is UFO waxed based? So lube once and re-lube every 100+ miles or so?

Many are in the wax your chain and forget it camp, but I've been sticking to traditional lubes forever.

rudye9mr

by rudye9mr

On the UFO...clean...wax...abt 100mi...clean wax..

Have not had to use degreasers...just hot water and a dental pick to scrape of wax build from some parts of drive system...my experience

wickedstealthy

by wickedstealthy

Luca199 wrote:
Hi all,

New to chain waxing (fully immersive). Have been using ufo drip v2 until now, but switching to a fully clean and waxed YBN chain next week (waxed with molten speed wax). I've already purchased a bag of Silca hot melt wax, but I'm wondering if I can keep using ufo drip v2 or Silca super secret chain drip lube as a top-up to the fully waxed chain.

Not sure if the drip lube would cause contamination to the chain , which would then cause the full wax treatment to not stick/work properly....

Any experience with this approach out there? And what's the best way for it to work correctly?

Thanks!
Why the hell bother with drip waxes ? I use it only on holiday when I'm running out of my 3 chains. Using it immediately makes the chain covered with junk after just 1 ride. So not in favour of it.

Just buy 3 chains, 2 pots with wax (msw) and rotate. I flush the dirty chain in one pot and next in the new pot. Literally the easiest thingy to do. Done now 11k km already and none of the chains shows signs of wear. Gauge still shows zero and no play onthe front rings.

I swap every 250km max as then most of the effect is gone.

Wet ride ? Have an old pot, heat water and flush the chain. Dry it and other chain.

I don't understand all the stuff with spirits and god knows what.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

wickedstealthy wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:30 pm

Why the hell bother with drip waxes ? I use it only on holiday when I'm running out of my 3 chains. Using it immediately makes the chain covered with junk after just 1 ride. So not in favour of it.

If I lube a chain, it's always immediately after my last ride so it has many hours to dry. I apply one drop per roller along a section of chain then, smush it between my fingers, then I move to a different section of chain. There's very little gunk buildup this way, and even then it all washes away with hot water.

wickedstealthy

by wickedstealthy

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:08 pm
wickedstealthy wrote:

If I lube a chain, it's always immediately after my last ride so it has many hours to dry. I apply one drop per roller along a section of chain then, smush it between my fingers, then I move to a different section of chain. There's very little gunk buildup this way, and even then it all washes away with hot water.
Well compared to the hot wax it is dirty according to me 😂 btw most of the drip waxes don't penetrate properly so pretty useless. Apart from that you just leave the dirt inside the rollers causing the wear.
I only use it as a stopgap and threw away all my other lubes (squirt, wet oil,...) previous winter when I saw that my chainrings, chains and cassette were worn in say 3 months.
Now on the hot wax nothing. And when raining I just flush it with boiling water. Same I do with the cassette.
Don't bother anymore with other stuff as my bike is always clean and a simple soap and waterhose does the job cleaning the bike in 15 minutes.
Once a week on my rest day I put on my slow cookers and somewhere in the day I take 10 minutes to swish the chains and hang them. Done

I don't understand all those complicated alternatives saving a few bucks with own wax formulas or drip lubes which just hide the wear (noise)

I'm glad I discovered the hot wax method two years ago and will never look back. Certainly not riding expensive cassettes from Shimano, SRAM or campa.
I'm now 11k further on my 3 chains and none of them shows wear just like my cassette

Hexsense

by Hexsense

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:08 pm
wickedstealthy wrote:

Right.
For me, Ironically, I'd use wax drip on normal day but melt wax on holiday.
Drip wax take 5 minutes to clean and apply, but full 24 hours to fully dry. 8 hours is dry-ish and usable. But full 24 hours is when it's completely dry and clean. So I only use drip wax if I know I won't ride for the next 24 hours.
Melt wax takes ~20 minutes to apply but once it's cool, it's ready to use. So I melt wax when I know I have to ride again tomorrow.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mag

by mag

Those who hot wax your chains: don't you have to use a lot of quick links during the lifetime of the chain? Or do you reuse even those non-reusable ones?