Chain lubricants

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Not to ask what is best talking friction. I would like to ask what kind of lube is addressing least possible dirt?

I have used waxed based, ceramic, wet and dry and i constantly wonder why there is no really optimal lube?

What is really best if you like the chain as clean as possible at all times?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

BRM

by BRM

Your mistake, because there is no lube optimal for ALL conditions.
Only for specific conditions.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

2lo8

by 2lo8

I'm guessing paraffin mixed with graphite or PTFE. Actual hot melted paraffin, not wax based lube suspended in a liquid volatile solvent. It also helps to keep the outside of your chain as dry as possible whatever lube you use, lubricant is really only needed inside the rollers, or on low end rust prone SRAM chains.
[14lb(6.35kg) of no carbon fiber]
[2lo8.wordpress.com]
Your one-stop source for information and reviews on cheap eBay bike junk.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

2lo8 wrote:I'm guessing paraffin mixed with graphite or PTFE. Actual hot melted paraffin, not wax based lube suspended in a liquid volatile solvent. It also helps to keep the outside of your chain as dry as possible whatever lube you use, lubricant is really only needed inside the rollers, or on low end rust prone SRAM chains.

Do you have an example lube?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I think anything with good lubrication properties will attract dirt. The best advice I could give is to use a quality lubricant often to clean the dirt off. Most chain lubricants are mostly just solvents to suspend the active ingredients. The solvents will wash out any dirt that has accumulated on the chain. If one is willing to lube the chain after every ride I'm sure the chain will remain very clean and last a long time.

Once I saw a video showing tips on how to wash a bike. The video editor uses WD40 exclusively and he sprays the WD40 on the chain and derailleurs after a bike wash. He swears by it. I think the WD40 is mostly just a cleaner/solvent with perhaps a bit of active ingredients in it to maintain some lubrication properties. Maybe the OP could try that and report back the results?

Shrike

by Shrike

That was GCN, comments were pretty rabid about that episode. That said, I trust those GCN guys.

2lo8

by 2lo8

I was talking about the friction facts type wax, where they melt wax to use as a liquid carrier for the solid lubricants, which has it's own issues, but unlike the others it doesn't rely on suspending lubricants in a evaporating, volatile solvent. Obviously you should wipe it off on not leave it all crusty with wax.

You should not get WD-40 in a chain, but if you make a paper towel just damp enough not to drip, it's very effective at removing residual lube on the outer plates. It has a very high solvent content, and a very small oil content, and the oil is simply not thick enough to serve as a chain lube, and you should be using lube with additives for plain bearings/bushings like those on chains. You can also use if for degreasing, it's better than a water based degreaser because the residual oil is not harmful, but also not better than just straight solvent, and the solvent should evaporate at room temperature, as opposed to water which can cause rust inside the chain and keep lubricant out.
[2lo8.wordpress.com]

fEichert

by fEichert

I use hot parafine as chain lube. Works very well.

velomane

by velomane

How do you apply the hot paraffin?

2lo8

by 2lo8

You stick a degreased chain in a pot with wax with with PTFE or graphite. No joke.
[2lo8.wordpress.com]

nickf

by nickf

For me lube needs to be either a thin short term lube like prolink gold (mtb) or for the road bike a thicker lube like NFS. Metal on metal contact needs oil to reduce wear and prolong life. Wipe chain after every ride and add a few drops of lube.

tinozee

by tinozee

I like Boeshield T9. The aerosol cans are good. I just degrease (with park scrubber and purple de-greaser), water rinse (again with scrubber and water few times), dry, then lube liberally with T9. I wipe excess with a t-shirt type rag. It has to be done after a long ride 100+ miles or you can maybe get 2 medium rides out of that. That makes the chain like new. You can also degrease by taking chain off and put in a tupperware with solution. Shake and rinse. Chains also stretch as well as wear, and have to be replaced fairly often. I have tried tons of lubes and nothing works and performs as well as T9 and the above method for me. Something like Pro Gold I would need to re-apply that again after 50 miles or it would annoy the hell out of me, too thin and dry for long rides 100+ miles.

I guess the answer for you somewhat depends on your riding volume and conditions (wet or dry, pollen or dust in your area, etc.)

velomane

by velomane

For those of you using water to clean, do you have any special way of drying the chain?

fogman

by fogman

I dry my chain with compressed air.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

velomane

by velomane

I wonder if my wife would have a problem with me using her hair dryer? Has anyone tried this?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com