Chain lubricants

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Lakal

by Lakal

carmody wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:32 am
I'm thinking of switching to wax right now. One thing that still holds me back is finding a solution for longer trips. Sometimes it rains a few days in a row, at night the bike is outside next to the tent in the morning dew, so I have doubts that a water-based wax solution will have the chance to dry.

What would you recommend for this?
Hm.. One way to do it could be a Connex link and the Silca Super Secret Lube tub version. Then you can take the chain off the bike, immerse the chain in the tub and let it dry - maybe in the tent?

DeLuz

by DeLuz

AW84 wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:31 am
DeLuz wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 5:54 pm
I continue to use and like Rock n Roll Gold. I use it on three different bikes that I rotate and find it lasts about a month.
I recently tried this stuff and it was horrendous. My drivetrain on both my bikes was so loud it sounded like they were mis-adjusted. Just 'clankity-clank' in every gear. Shifting sucked, and it took noticeably more watts to go the same speed. I spent weeks chasing what I thought were chain or cassette issues thinking the lube couldn't possibly be that bad. I tried the recommended application of letting it sit overnight, and then experimented with applying it right before my ride and it was trash both ways. Went back to my Finish Line Gold ceramic and the difference was night and day.
Could be you are used to putting so much heavy stuff on the chain it totally drowns out the noise.
I find with Rock N Roll Gold the chain is quiet and shifting is better after application.
I apply it by putting two or three drops on each roller which takes more time ( a few minutes) than just squirting it while spinning the cranks.
Then spin the cranks for a few minutes and wipe it down really good with blue shop paper towels. A lot of grime comes out of the chain when I wipe it down.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Attermann

by Attermann

you are supposed to really but alot on the chain as per the instructions, but i too find it quiet and okay lasting.

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

RnR gold lube has been in the market for so long that I'm surprised people are still 'reviewing' it. I haven't heard of any negative complaints about it like this before tbh, I would say it works great for the majority of people using it. I've been using it for years, the drivetrain don't start squealing after application that's for sure.

Personally it's perfect for lazy people like me who don't want to bother with degreasing before adding lube.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

RnR Gold is a very light lube and will be subject to chatter/rasping sounds. Either deal with it or use something else. It gets about 150mi per application in dry conditions. The main issue with the lube is it’s got only a few grams of actual lube in each bottle…it’s 90% volatile carrier.

It’s probably my favorite non-wax-based lube.
Last edited by TobinHatesYou on Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

carmody

by carmody

Lakal wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 4:27 pm
carmody wrote:
I'm thinking of switching to wax right now. One thing that still holds me back is finding a solution for longer trips. Sometimes it rains a few days in a row, at night the bike is outside next to the tent in the morning dew, so I have doubts that a water-based wax solution will have the chance to dry.

Hm.. One way to do it could be a Connex link and the Silca Super Secret Lube tub version. Then you can take the chain off the bike, immerse the chain in the tub and let it dry - maybe in the tent?
Sounds like a bit of PITA :D Tent itself is quite also quite cramped anf damp environment. Maybe I have to go with a dedicated oil lubed travel chain and clean cassette and chainrings afterwords...

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

6 years of using RnR Gold and do not want for anything more. Pic taken at completion of 44 mile ride. If you apply initially to a very clean degreased new chain and wipe after every ride it will always look like this. A little noisy, but smooth. Image

Sent from my SM-A526U1 using Tapatalk

Never cheer before you know who is winning

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

Im giving squirt a go Image

Basso Diamante super record EPS 12
BMC slr01 ultegra Di2

Formerly known as Curryinahurry

Lakal

by Lakal

carmody wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 7:52 am
Lakal wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 4:27 pm
carmody wrote:

Sounds like a bit of PITA :D Tent itself is quite also quite cramped anf damp environment. Maybe I have to go with a dedicated oil lubed travel chain and clean cassette and chainrings afterwords...
Yes, it is ;)
You could also use hot melt wax and bring 2-3 chains on your trip.

JLiukkonen

by JLiukkonen

Sounds like riding where Rex Black Diamond excels.

Quiet, no curing time and small bottle is easy to carry around
www.rex.fi/en/bike

carmody

by carmody

JLiukkonen wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:47 am
Sounds like riding where Rex Black Diamond excels.

Quiet, no curing time and small bottle is easy to carry around
Sounds good! And its als comptible with MSW or Silca wax afterwords? I'd use it than only for traveling, the price is quit high.

JLiukkonen

by JLiukkonen

It can be used to top waxed chains, but before rewaxing chain must be cleaned from Black Diamond, otherwise wax doesn’t stick to the chain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
www.rex.fi/en/bike

Lakal

by Lakal

JLiukkonen wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 10:12 am
It can be used to top waxed chains, but before rewaxing chain must be cleaned from Black Diamond, otherwise wax doesn’t stick to the chain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What about your new hot melt wax? Could it be a game changer in this situation? And when do you expect it to be ready for launch? :)

Edopizzo

by Edopizzo

Hello, has anyone tried Effetto Mariposa Flower Power? ZFC has added it as it's being tested and it's better than any other drip wax like Silca or UFO, only beaten by hot melt wax. I'm coming from Squirt lube and I'm not very satisfied as after 50km it starts to be noisy, also it performs average on ZFC test. So I want to try Flower Power which is quite good at 12$ for 100ml but I haven't found any review whatsoever

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I went with Rex Black Diamond. So far i think it does really well.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.