Chain lubricants

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

JLiukkonen

by JLiukkonen

Lakal wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:29 am
JLiukkonen wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 10:12 am
It can be used to top waxed chains, but before rewaxing chain must be cleaned from Black Diamond, otherwise wax doesn’t stick to the chain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What about your new hot melt wax? Could it be a game changer in this situation? And when do you expect it to be ready for launch? :)
I think for bike packing Black Diamond is great when you have no support. Small 30g bottle to carry. Relubrication takes no time whatsoever.

Pack of test riders rode gravel roads along Finnish and Russian border, 8 days/1 200km. Hot melt lasted around 640-680km before rewaxing was needed. Black Diamond was applied twice during the excursion, 3 times in total. They had support car, so rewaxing was obviously easy to do.

ZFC is doing at least one more test before launch, then there is package and I need to solve how and when we can make first production batches...couple months perhaps.
www.rex.fi/en/bike

BBres

by BBres

Edopizzo wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:58 am
Hello, has anyone tried Effetto Mariposa Flower Power? ZFC has added it as it's being tested and it's better than any other drip wax like Silca or UFO, only beaten by hot melt wax. I'm coming from Squirt lube and I'm not very satisfied as after 50km it starts to be noisy, also it performs average on ZFC test. So I want to try Flower Power which is quite good at 12$ for 100ml but I haven't found any review whatsoever
Up. Very curious.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

BBres wrote:
Sat Jul 16, 2022 10:16 am
Edopizzo wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:58 am
Hello, has anyone tried Effetto Mariposa Flower Power? ZFC has added it as it's being tested and it's better than any other drip wax like Silca or UFO, only beaten by hot melt wax. I'm coming from Squirt lube and I'm not very satisfied as after 50km it starts to be noisy, also it performs average on ZFC test. So I want to try Flower Power which is quite good at 12$ for 100ml but I haven't found any review whatsoever
Up. Very curious.
We shoudl go full flower power, and use Effetto Mariposa Flower Power with sunflower seed wax on the Museeuw flax bike.

Ozzzzzy

by Ozzzzzy

Well well well!
One of my favourite topics of them all!
After trying most of the strong names,
RNR GOLD/RED , PROLINK PROGOLD, NFS, WELDTIT WET/DRY, SQUIRT , MORGAN BLUE WAX/RACE/DRY, TRU-TENSION TUNGSTEN, SILCA SSL, SILCA SINERGETIC AND LASTLY REVOLUBE.
the issue (and i beleive you are all going through this path) is when you are using wet lube , however youll wipe it, it will still leave marks on your hands and sound gritty once youre touching the chain, and this is , i would say -ANNOYING/DISTURBING.
Then your going on the path of seeking dry/wax lube.
You found one.
You are so happy for 5 rides. Maybe ten.
Squirt, rnr gold, etc.
Then after 75 km you start feeling the chain is too dry. The shifting not satisfying you. Strong noise...
And its usually happen when you are tired and needs the lube in its best!
Then you are going back to wet.
And this circle never ends.
Oooohhhhh!
I have settled now on Revolube.
Once its bonded to the chain after 3.4 lubing and riding, i wash the chain with soap and the chain is dry and clean but still lube.
Maybe you can do this
"bonding and washing" method with every one of the nano particles lubes: rex black, silca sinergetic, revolube, etc because the lubing is made from atomic bonding + oil/wax layer.
Revolube is so good! Make you feel the chain is like liquid i cannot explain it good.
But again, i miss the tru-tension wax and rnr gold.
I will stick with revolube and maybe will try also the rex black.
My final conclusion is that wet oils give you better "feeling" of chain lubricity on long road riding (60 - 130 km) and i just cant give up on that feeling.
For dry dirty riding like gravel, mtb, i would stick to the dryer lubes.
Thanks for reading.
Oz

Nickldn

by Nickldn

Help! I have just been handed a bottle of new UFO CeramicSpeed lube. Will do cleaning and coating tonight as per new instructions.

Coming from Muc-Off dry lube (relube every 60 miles or so gets annoying) what should I expect? Dry rides only BTW.
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build with Craft CS5060 Wheels in progress

WorkonSunday

by WorkonSunday

WorkonSunday wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:47 pm
Knightyboy27 wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:56 pm
WorkonSunday wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:18 pm
MagicShite wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:03 pm

UFO is much better. Silca SS seems to have QC issues at the moment.
ok, thanks. is UFO ok to just keep adding/topping up while im on the road? i wont have facility to clean the bike once set off. thanks.
Note that you should "allow UFO Drip to dry a minimum of 8 hours for best results and clean performance", so depending on your type of ride, you will need to have the time to let it dry overnight.

I'm guessing this is one of the downfalls of using wax, that on any long distance multi day event, you may be a bit stuck with applying additional wax...
yea, thats a good point. im now going to experiment with Silca Synertic wet lube. quite expensive but apparently on long run, they work out good value. And the key thing is, i can just keep topping up with out having to wait.

One question tho. There seem to be two different version of it (not referring the e-bike version). just have a quick search on Google, one is very clear like any cooking oil, but there is another which is very cloudy and dark. The one i ordered came through the post looking the latter. However Merlin's cycle own website is showing the clear version. Any idea what's going on here? Also mine came with a normal size tip where most photos show a needle type applicator. :?
an update on this. it turns out, it's not there are two versions of the lube, it's because there is some tungsten/metal powder suspended and they will eventually settle at the bottom and the liquid becomes clear. Once shaken for about 30 seconds, the liquid turns back into this dark cloudy lube. :mrgreen:
Some say pour 10ml water out of your bottle to save that last bit of the weight. Sorry, i go one step further, i tend to the rider off my bikes. :thumbup:
n+1...14 last time i checked, but i lost count :mrgreen:

goixiz

by goixiz

carmody wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:32 am
I'm thinking of switching to wax right now. One thing that still holds me back is finding a solution for longer trips. Sometimes it rains a few days in a row, at night the bike is outside next to the tent in the morning dew, so I have doubts that a water-based wax solution will have the chance to dry.

What would you recommend for this?
I am a waxer, but for your application - SILCA Synergi
- Eat More Rice !

goixiz

by goixiz

Nickldn wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:58 pm
Help! I have just been handed a bottle of new UFO CeramicSpeed lube. Will do cleaning and coating tonight as per new instructions.

Coming from Muc-Off dry lube (relube every 60 miles or so gets annoying) what should I expect? Dry rides only BTW.
Muc-off is a scam

If you do not mind the burden - Melt wax [MSW or Silca] Hands down
- Eat More Rice !

goixiz

by goixiz

Ozzzzzy wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:48 pm
Well well well!
One of my favourite topics of them all!
After trying most of the strong names,
RNR GOLD/RED , PROLINK PROGOLD, NFS, WELDTIT WET/DRY, SQUIRT , MORGAN BLUE WAX/RACE/DRY, TRU-TENSION TUNGSTEN, SILCA SSL, SILCA SINERGETIC AND LASTLY REVOLUBE.
the issue (and i beleive you are all going through this path) is when you are using wet lube , however youll wipe it, it will still leave marks on your hands and sound gritty once youre touching the chain, and this is , i would say -ANNOYING/DISTURBING.
You lost me as soon as u mention "wetlubes" especially for your first post
- Eat More Rice !

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Nickldn wrote:

I have almost 2 full bottles here. Personally i think it attracts dirt. Need i say more?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

goixiz

by goixiz

wheelsONfire wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 3:05 pm
Nickldn wrote:

I have almost 2 full bottles here. Personally i think it attracts dirt. Need i say more?
Dirt = wear = resistance = poor performance = replacement cost
No need to explain

p.s. i have seen test data that has been rigged to make muc-off looks like shmuck-off
- Eat More Rice !

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

goixiz wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 3:17 pm
wheelsONfire wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 3:05 pm
Nickldn wrote:

Dirt = wear = resistance = poor performance = replacement cost
No need to explain

p.s. i have seen test data that has been rigged to make muc-off looks like shmuck-off
Yeah, i'm not impressed! There are better options..
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I'm confused. Are we saying UFO Drip attracts dirt? I think that's about the furthest from the truth possible. It's the driest of all the wax drip lubes.

It might sound raspy after 100km, but that's normal. It's absolutely amazing for dry and muddy conditions. It's not great for truly wet/raining conditions.

eins4eins

by eins4eins

I'm on my third bottle of UFO drip and it definitely doesn't attract dirt. Like Tobin wrote, its super dry with no adhesive properties to pull dirt at all.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nickldn

by Nickldn

eins4eins wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:53 pm
I'm on my third bottle of UFO drip and it definitely doesn't attract dirt. Like Tobin wrote, its super dry with no adhesive properties to pull dirt at all.
I've done about 500 miles with UFO in dry weather. Had a chain drop a few weeks back (bad Campy FD adjustment after cassette change) no rubber gloves on the ride, put the chain back on and my hands were clean afterwards. No grease, no mess.

So, no UFO can't prevent chain drops, but it can make it a lot less messy to put the chain back on.
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build with Craft CS5060 Wheels in progress