Chain lubricants

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

usr

by usr

Kurt1980 wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:53 pm
On a related note, I just replaced my old chain with which I used Squirt with a new chain, using Tru Tension Banana slip lube.

Amazing how much friction there was in the old chain.

Granted, it was at the end of its life, so the wear may have added friction to the articulation. But the lighter lube spins so much freer. We'll see how we go over the coming months.
Keep in mind though that unloaded friction is not necessarily an accurate representation of loaded friction. It's not impossible that most of the friction you feel unloaded is of a kind that does not scale at all with load (the o-rings in a motorcycle chain would be an example) and that the part that does scale is worse on the chain that feels easier on the stand. How likely is it that the old chain might actually be better under load? No idea, just saying that it's not impossible.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Kurt1980

by Kurt1980

usr wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:49 am
Kurt1980 wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:53 pm
On a related note, I just replaced my old chain with which I used Squirt with a new chain, using Tru Tension Banana slip lube.

Amazing how much friction there was in the old chain.

Granted, it was at the end of its life, so the wear may have added friction to the articulation. But the lighter lube spins so much freer. We'll see how we go over the coming months.
Keep in mind though that unloaded friction is not necessarily an accurate representation of loaded friction. It's not impossible that most of the friction you feel unloaded is of a kind that does not scale at all with load (the o-rings in a motorcycle chain would be an example) and that the part that does scale is worse on the chain that feels easier on the stand. How likely is it that the old chain might actually be better under load? No idea, just saying that it's not impossible.
Very good points. It does feel nicer to pedal round slowly, but yeah, who knows how that translates under proper load.
I believe Hambini has made similar points about bearing seals and friction.

Mocs123

by Mocs123

Does anyone have any experiace with Tru Tension BananaSlip Race Lube and/or All Weather Lube? If so what are your thoughts? The All Weather Lube appears to be a wax based lube but what about the Race Lube? It really doesn't say.

I'm about to get a new chain on one of my bikes (currently using Rock N Roll Gold) and I'm thinking of going to a Wax Based Drip for cleanliness and efficency. I am using Silca Super Secret on one of my bikes, but it seems to get loud quickly. Is the Banana Slip better? It's certainly seems cheaper.
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg

ArtV

by ArtV

I use it to 'refresh' my waxed chain and it does a good job of staying quiet. While it works well for that purpose unfortunately I do not have experience using it on it's own, sorry.

Mocs123

by Mocs123

Well I do have MSW and can do a hot dip of the chain prior to using. Actually I'm doing that already on one bike using Josh's recomendation of a hot dip every 1,000 miles (1,609km) and a drop of SSS on each roller every 125 miles (201km) - it just gets loud quickly. Of course that bike may just run a bit louder as it has aluminum jockey wheels and Rotor chainrings.
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Mocs123 wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:33 pm
Well I do have MSW and can do a hot dip of the chain prior to using. Actually I'm doing that already on one bike using Josh's recomendation of a hot dip every 1,000 miles (1,609km) and a drop of SSS on each roller every 125 miles (201km) - it just gets loud quickly. Of course that bike may just run a bit louder as it has aluminum jockey wheels and Rotor chainrings.

125mi between drips is a bit overkill IMO. If you're going to use wax drip, just accept that it will get noisy after about 75 miles of riding. SSS should last 180-200mi per application.

MikeD

by MikeD

Mocs123 wrote:Of course that bike may just run a bit louder as it has aluminum jockey wheels
Yes.

Kurt1980

by Kurt1980

Mocs123 wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:22 pm
Does anyone have any experiace with Tru Tension BananaSlip Race Lube and/or All Weather Lube? If so what are your thoughts? The All Weather Lube appears to be a wax based lube but what about the Race Lube? It really doesn't say.

I'm about to get a new chain on one of my bikes (currently using Rock N Roll Gold) and I'm thinking of going to a Wax Based Drip for cleanliness and efficency. I am using Silca Super Secret on one of my bikes, but it seems to get loud quickly. Is the Banana Slip better? It's certainly seems cheaper.
I was seriously considering waxing, and I may still get there. However, when my chain needed replacing just recently I went the TTBS all weather lube. Did the chain prep myself as per ZFC instructions.

Keep in mind I've only done about 350km and all on good weather. But since the initial application it's been really good. The chain looks cleaner than when I used Squirt, and shifts and spins quite nicely. If you touch it, there is still some black grease looking stuff that ends up on your fingers... I don't think that's always mentioned by fans of this stuff. But that's a pretty minor con.

I'll add some more thoughts somewhere when I've used this stuff a lot more. But so far, so good. Quote me in a reply if you have any other questions.

Kurt

AlexWCS

by AlexWCS

Edopizzo wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:58 am
Hello, has anyone tried Effetto Mariposa Flower Power? ZFC has added it as it's being tested and it's better than any other drip wax like Silca or UFO, only beaten by hot melt wax. I'm coming from Squirt lube and I'm not very satisfied as after 50km it starts to be noisy, also it performs average on ZFC test. So I want to try Flower Power which is quite good at 12$ for 100ml but I haven't found any review whatsoever
I've just purchased some and will be applying to new chain (Shimano CN-HG701) tonight. Chain will be prepared following the ZFC method.
I've used Squirt for 2-3 years and find it works well for me. Mostly used on KMC chains which I now understand aren't the easiest to fully clean before the first drip wax application.

MikeD

by MikeD

Anyone use Wipperman chains? How do they shift on a Shimano drivetrain as compared to a Shimano chain?

rudye9mr

by rudye9mr

Kurt1980 wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:52 pm
....If you touch it, there is still some black grease looking stuff that ends up on your fingers...
Kurt
The small black particles are normal on stationary trainers. This also happens when on the road or trails, one just does not see it. It is the hard-wax components of Squirt shedding from the chain. Excess wax and dirt trapped sheds via this method. You may find that more wax accumulates on the chain of your trainer – this is due the chain not vibrating/shaking enough to promote shedding. Our biodegradability rating is therefore important as it would end up in the natural environment.
https://www.squirtcyclingproducts.com/l ... hain-lube/

Kurt1980

by Kurt1980

rudye9mr wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2022 5:19 pm
Kurt1980 wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:52 pm
....If you touch it, there is still some black grease looking stuff that ends up on your fingers...
Kurt
The small black particles are normal on stationary trainers. This also happens when on the road or trails, one just does not see it. It is the hard-wax components of Squirt shedding from the chain. Excess wax and dirt trapped sheds via this method. You may find that more wax accumulates on the chain of your trainer – this is due the chain not vibrating/shaking enough to promote shedding. Our biodegradability rating is therefore important as it would end up in the natural environment.
https://www.squirtcyclingproducts.com/l ... hain-lube/
Interesting, although just to clarify I'm using it on my all round bike that has both trainer and in the real world riding uses.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

You could have the cleanest drivetrain on the planet and only ever ride on an indoor trainer, and your lube will still turn slightly black / dark gray because that's the metal from the chain abrading away at a microscopic level.

Edopizzo

by Edopizzo

AlexWCS wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2022 3:54 pm
Edopizzo wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:58 am
Hello, has anyone tried Effetto Mariposa Flower Power? ZFC has added it as it's being tested and it's better than any other drip wax like Silca or UFO, only beaten by hot melt wax. I'm coming from Squirt lube and I'm not very satisfied as after 50km it starts to be noisy, also it performs average on ZFC test. So I want to try Flower Power which is quite good at 12$ for 100ml but I haven't found any review whatsoever
I've just purchased some and will be applying to new chain (Shimano CN-HG701) tonight. Chain will be prepared following the ZFC method.
I've used Squirt for 2-3 years and find it works well for me. Mostly used on KMC chains which I now understand aren't the easiest to fully clean before the first drip wax application.
I was in the same situation as you. I've found it much cleaner than squirt somehow. ZFC also posted the single application mileage and it's double that of Silca or ceramicspeed

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MikeD

by MikeD

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 4:40 am
You could have the cleanest drivetrain on the planet and only ever ride on an indoor trainer, and your lube will still turn slightly black / dark gray because that's the metal from the chain abrading away at a microscopic level.
One would think that in a clean environment, like riding indoors on a trainer, that there would be no chain wear as that means there's metal to metal contact. That shouldn't be on a properly lubed chain with a decent lube in the absence of dirt/grit.