Chain lubricants

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

MikeD wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:53 pm
JaeOne3345 wrote:I just converted to waxing chains a few weeks back. I will never go back to wet lube.

Next time I wax all 5 chains I am just gonna use straight up paraffin. I'm not convinced that the miniscule gain from the extras in MSW are worth all the dark flakes.
MSW now uses WS2 instead of MoS2.

I contacted Adam Kerin directly regarding new MSW vs Silca Hot Melt because in his tests the new MSW outperforms Silca until the last extreme block, and TBH hardly anyone rides in conditions that horrible. I figure as mostly dry conditions roadie, MSW is the best performer overall and way cheaper than Silca Hot Melt.

I can't measure the differences between MSW vs food grade paraffin like Gulf wax... Kerin can't either. I will say that Gulf wax has served me well in the past year and a half.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

JaeOne3345 wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:34 pm
BdaGhisallo wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:15 pm
JaeOne3345 wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:16 pm
I just converted to waxing chains a few weeks back. I will never go back to wet lube.

Next time I wax all 5 chains I am just gonna use straight up paraffin. I'm not convinced that the miniscule gain from the extras in MSW are worth all the dark flakes.
After waxing with MSW for a few months I gave Gulf Wax a try and it just wasn't as good. I reverted to the MSW for another year and I have recently converted to Silca's wax which I find is even better than MSW.
Good to know. Didnt last as long or what? Why do you find the Silca even better?

I found the straight paraffin to be gloopy and the chain sounded louder. Silca seems a bit thinner on the chain than MSW and throws off fewer chunks of wax. It also seems to keep the chain quieter for longer than the MSW.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MikeD

by MikeD

TobinHatesYou wrote:
MikeD wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:53 pm
JaeOne3345 wrote:I just converted to waxing chains a few weeks back. I will never go back to wet lube.

MSW now uses WS2 instead of MoS2.

I contacted Adam Kerin directly regarding new MSW vs Silca Hot Melt because in his tests the new MSW outperforms Silca until the last extreme block, and TBH hardly anyone rides in conditions that horrible. I figure as mostly dry conditions roadie, MSW is the best performer overall and way cheaper than Silca Hot Melt.

I can't measure the differences between MSW vs food grade paraffin like Gulf wax... Kerin can't either. I will say that Gulf wax has served me well in the past year and a half.
Do you notice any difference in longevity, noise, etc. between straight wax and MSW? I'm still waiting to use the MSW I bought, but the Silca SS drip wax seems really great and my chain is super quiet.

goixiz

by goixiz

I try to explain to an old die hard wet lube dude that the times have changed and wax is the new lube for both chain wear (reduce) and friction (low) - i am speechless as stubborn as they come i just SMH......
Anyone has a one line question to point the stubborn wet luber before i walk away ? TUIA
- Eat More Rice !

goixiz

by goixiz

BdaGhisallo wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:05 pm
JaeOne3345 wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:34 pm
BdaGhisallo wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:15 pm
JaeOne3345 wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:16 pm
I just converted to waxing chains a few weeks back. I will never go back to wet lube.

After waxing with MSW for a few months I gave Gulf Wax a try and it just wasn't as good. I reverted to the MSW for another year and I have recently converted to Silca's wax which I find is even better than MSW.
Good to know. Didnt last as long or what? Why do you find the Silca even better?

I found the straight paraffin to be gloopy and the chain sounded louder. Silca seems a bit thinner on the chain than MSW and throws off fewer chunks of wax. It also seems to keep the chain quieter for longer than the MSW.
SAme results but i do add a small amt (very small) of teflon powder into my Silca (since i have leftovers from homebrew days) i also use to add MOS in those days but i think its just overkill.
- Eat More Rice !

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

goixiz wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:02 pm
I try to explain to an old die hard wet lube dude that the times have changed and wax is the new lube for both chain wear (reduce) and friction (low) - i am speechless as stubborn as they come i just SMH......
Anyone has a one line question to point the stubborn wet luber before i walk away ? TUIA
Walk away mate. Let him ride a slower bike if he wants.

OlieSimpson

by OlieSimpson

Does anyone have any recommendations for an off the shelf lube or wax product to use on a chain? My available time that I can designate to the bike is relatively limited and I'd prefer to spend that on it riding rather than faffing over it if possible.

For all those that wax their chain, do you replace the quick link and use a new one everytime you wax, or do you re-use the link a few times? The links seem very expensive to replace everytime you rewax your chain every 250km (which is what every week or two for a serious rider?)

Lakal

by Lakal

OlieSimpson wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:33 pm
Does anyone have any recommendations for an off the shelf lube or wax product to use on a chain? My available time that I can designate to the bike is relatively limited and I'd prefer to spend that on it riding rather than faffing over it if possible.

For all those that wax their chain, do you replace the quick link and use a new one everytime you wax, or do you re-use the link a few times? The links seem very expensive to replace everytime you rewax your chain every 250km (which is what every week or two for a serious rider?)
Ceramicspeed UFO drip or Silca Super Secret Lube.

I use a connex link. This is a reusable link and you can install/uninstall it without tools.
If I use a normal shimano link, I reuse it at bout 5-7 times.

OlieSimpson

by OlieSimpson

Lakal wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:04 pm
OlieSimpson wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:33 pm

Ceramicspeed UFO drip or Silca Super Secret Lube.

I use a connex link. This is a reusable link and you can install/uninstall it without tools.
Thanks Lakal!

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

Lakal wrote:

Have the Connex links improved? I bought a few when they first made an 11sp version for use with Shimano chains and they wouldn't work. It was almost as if the pins weren't long enough. I was stunned because I had been using Connex links for years with Shimano 9sp and 10sp chains without an issue.

I am tempted to try the 11sp Connex link again.

goixiz

by goixiz

BdaGhisallo wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:56 pm
Lakal wrote:

Have the Connex links improved? I bought a few when they first made an 11sp version for use with Shimano chains and they wouldn't work. It was almost as if the pins weren't long enough. I was stunned because I had been using Connex links for years with Shimano 9sp and 10sp chains without an issue.

Why not just use the shimano ones ? I reuse the KMC ones all the time on both KMC / sram / shimano chains 11s
- Eat More Rice !

JaeOne3345

by JaeOne3345

BdaGhisallo wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:56 pm

I use the 11s Connex with 11s Dura Ace and Ultegra chains. Work great. The pins are definitely long enough. A lot of people also don't orient them them correctly and get "ticking" in smaller cogs. I can't see myself using the shimano links again. The Wipperman is super convenient.

Maddie

by Maddie

I was using the Connex link on my dura ace 11s chains as wheel. Very happy with it. Still waiting for them to finally release the 12s connex link.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

No issues at all with 11spd Connex links on any 11spd chain. The outer width of the link is 5.95mm or so, wider than any standard 11spd chain. Occasionally you do get a rasp if backpedaling in small cogs, but that’s the only very minor nitpick.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tleo

by tleo

I've been using a 11 spd Connex Link for thousands of miles with Ultegra chains on my road bike and it works great, never had a problem with it. Now I'm just waiting for them to release the 12 spd drivetrain model for use on my mtn bike. I wax my chains on both the road & mtn bike and having to go back to the standard quick links on the 12 spd sucks. Last Sept I contacted them to see if they were going to make release a 12 spd Link and got this reply.
The Connex 12-speed chains are not yet released. We’ve added your name to the list of people who are looking for them and will send an announcement when they are available (est. Spring 2022).