11spd Shimano Cassette w/ Campagnolo groupset? (temporary fix)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Devon

by Devon

I'm building my first bike running 11spd Campagnolo. I ordered a Campagnolo freehub with my Novatec wheels - but it's on backorder for a few weeks, so I'm stuck with a Shimano wheelset for the next month.

I vaguely remember reading that the cog spacing on Shimano/SRAM/Camapgnolo is the same with 11 speed cassettes. Is this actually the case?

Has anyone run a Shimano cassette with Campag? Could I run a Shimano cassette for a few weeks without too many issues?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Sleepless

by Sleepless

I'm running 11 spd Ultegra cassette with my Chorus 11 set. No issues at all.

davidalone

by davidalone

I'm doing it the otehr way round, Shimano with campy cassette. no issues as well. good enough to race.

Devon

by Devon

What chains are you using? I was told I should swap my KMC for a Shimano? Chorus crankset.

Flapmeat

by Flapmeat

Spacing is not exactly the same but it works great. I use 9000, 6800, and Chorus cassettes on my SR11 shift group with zero issues

I went from a Record chain to a KMC X11SL and I am very displeased. The chain is SO noisey. This may be because everything is new (chain/cassette/rings) but I have about 400 miles on everything and it's still super noisey.

Devon

by Devon

Flapmeat wrote:Spacing is not exactly the same but it works great. I use 9000, 6800, and Chorus cassettes on my SR11 shift group with zero issues

I went from a Record chain to a KMC X11SL and I am very displeased. The chain is SO noisey. This may be because everything is new (chain/cassette/rings) but I have about 400 miles on everything and it's still super noisey.

Interesting - that's the exact chain I have. I've heard similar reports about 11spd KMC chains. Maybe I'll swap it. Any other recommendations?

Sleepless

by Sleepless

I'm using Chorus chain.

c50jim

by c50jim

I have lots of Campy bikes. On my travel bike, I was heading to the Pyrenees last year and wanted a 32. My choices then were Shimano or IRD and, on the advice of my mechanic, I went Ultegra. I've used both 11-28 and 11-32 with no problems, although we switched out my Chorus rear derailleur for Athena just to make sure the derailleur could handle the range. When the Campy 11-32 becomes available, I may switch back to that when the Ultegra cassette wears out (that bike gets a lot of miles) more because I could easily swap in the 12-29 I like for most use rather than because the Ultegra cassette has any problems. I'm still using the Campy chain and am thinking of switching my recent adventure bike purchase to a Chorus chain when the Ultegra one wears out because my mechanic (who's basically a Shimano guy) says that Campy chains last longer. I don't understand why anyone fiddles about with KCNC and other off brand chains when Campy and Shimano stuff works well and fits.

arthurf

by arthurf

I have full Campag EPS set up with dura ace chain and cassette and it works better than the campy setup it replaced! Shifting seems crisper and a bit cleaner. It's a quieter setup with the shimano chain though, the kmc and Campag were slightly noisier on the shimano cassette.

bremerradkurier

by bremerradkurier

Wippermann might be a good choice; I'm running their 10 speed chain on a Ambrosio Shimano splined/Campy spaced 10 speed cassette and it's super quiet.

jrobart

by jrobart

Campy drivetrain, Dura Ace cassette. I'm using a Dura Ace chain, Works great
Current: Seven 622 SLX | Seven OVRLND XX | Fondriest Carbon Magister | Yeti SB100 |
Retired: Litespeed T5G | Seven Axiom SL| Seven Mudhoney SL|S Works Crux |Fat CAAD 1 |

reippuert

by reippuert

Devon wrote:
Flapmeat wrote:Spacing is not exactly the same but it works great. I use 9000, 6800, and Chorus cassettes on my SR11 shift group with zero issues

Interesting - that's the exact chain I have. I've heard similar reports about 11spd KMC chains. Maybe I'll swap it. Any other recommendations?

The campy 11-speed chain are very silent but i can also recomend the 11-speed wipperman connex... (even on shimano/sram 10 speed casettes)
--
mvh. Morten Reippuert Knudsen @Merlin Works CR, Chorus 15, Reynolds 46/66

ericoschmitt

by ericoschmitt

Sorry bringing up old thread.

I have campag groupset and got a new wheelset with shimano freehub body. As I have another campag wheel, I will be using campag chain. Should I bother changing freehub body? I'm concerned about chain wear mostly, will it last longer if I use all campagnolo cassettes? Or on a 105 it will be the same?

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

Campy chain will work fine on a Shimano cassette. Shimano cassettes are a lot cheaper.
formerly rruff...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

2old4this

by 2old4this

One of the board members (Graeme) explained it in a few threads; Campy cog spacing differ. If you are not obsessed with smooth shifting (yours truly is) the shifting might be good enough for you.
I've tried using Shimano and SRAM cassettes with Campy, and couldn't get the shifting the way I like it to be. Then again, I have limited experience with Campy and find setting it up a little finicky.