CeramicSpeed BB - really worth it?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

hambini

by hambini

ParisCarbon wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:32 pm
Does anyone know the NTN part num for BB30 bearings? When I look at the hambini website and then to the NTN website the part numbers dont match at all... I can get NTN bearings local here in Canada... but about 25 sets of 6806 options came up!
http://bearingfinder.ntnamericas.com/ke ... ericas.com
6806 or 61806 is the size.

Then there is a plethora of suffixes you can have which can vary between manufacturers. You can read about them here

https://www.hambini.com/technical-support/bearings.html

sroll down and the NTN handbook is linked at the bottom

6806LLB and 6806LLU are the ones that are most popular.

Hambini
Hambini Aeronautical Engineer, Polluting YouTube since 2016 - views expressed are my own...

avispa

by avispa

stormur wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:54 am
True. And Shimano BB bearings are not famous for easy spin, aren't they ?

Ceramic's lifespan... Campagnolo users doesn't have any issues with that ;) not in hubs, not on cranks. C-bear ( fabulous bearings in extremely precisely machined cups, I'm not supported /unfortunately / ) gives 2y "no questions" warranty... so maybe this "Ferrari" is just...Fiat priced like Ferrari ? ;) just a thought :mrgreen:
One thing I find funny is this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... tqgzkPsYaM

Why would you change the great CULT bearings that come with Campy over any others? I'd love to get a hold of all those other Campy bearings these guys are removing. Last I checked, I put more than 30,000 miles on a Campy Ultra-Torque (SRM) crankset and the thing wa still flawless!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

hambini

by hambini

avispa wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:40 pm
stormur wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:54 am
True. And Shimano BB bearings are not famous for easy spin, aren't they ?

Ceramic's lifespan... Campagnolo users doesn't have any issues with that ;) not in hubs, not on cranks. C-bear ( fabulous bearings in extremely precisely machined cups, I'm not supported /unfortunately / ) gives 2y "no questions" warranty... so maybe this "Ferrari" is just...Fiat priced like Ferrari ? ;) just a thought :mrgreen:
One thing I find funny is this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... tqgzkPsYaM

Why would you change the great CULT bearings that come with Campy over any others? I'd love to get a hold of all those other Campy bearings these guys are removing. Last I checked, I put more than 30,000 miles on a Campy Ultra-Torque (SRM) crankset and the thing wa still flawless!
Campag Cult bearings are rebranded FAG/INA bearings. As a company they know how to make bearings and their technical support and backup is excellent. If you ask Ceramicspeed any sort of technical question, you will get a not so good response.

A lot of people don't know that Ceramicspeed also have an industrial division, they try to sell bearings for use in cars, jet engines, motorbikes, electric motors etc - I don't know anyone who uses their stuff.
Hambini Aeronautical Engineer, Polluting YouTube since 2016 - views expressed are my own...

avispa

by avispa

hambini wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:48 pm
Campag Cult bearings are rebranded FAG/INA bearings. As a company they know how to make bearings and their technical support and backup is excellent. If you ask Ceramicspeed any sort of technical question, you will get a not so good response.
Small correction: INA/FAG and the company is The Schaeffler Group's INA and FAG brands...

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

And unlike "hybrid" ceramic bearings, which most of the bicycle ceramic bearings are, the Campy CULT bearings have specially treated steel races (compared to standard ceramic "hybrids"), which allow them to be run without grease, and just a light oil as lubricant. They just seem impervious to water, which could rust out the races of the others in a season or so in similarly bad winter conditions. So, it's not really the fact that they spin effortlessly and forever that impresses me since this is largely a function of having no grease and no seals, but rather the fact that a bit of cruddy weather, or a lot of it, doesn't seem to have much of a negative effect on them. Yes, you still need to clean them out now and then and add a couple drops of light synthetic oil, but other than that... pretty maintenance free. While I know they originate with Schaeffler, I don't know that they're simply rebranded INA or FAG bearings or whether they undergo a further specific treatement on the races, but they are the best bicycle bearings I've ever worked with and used.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

mattr

by mattr

It's probably an optional "Out of the catalogue" surface treatment rather than a true custom.

mattr

by mattr

And FWIW depending on manufacturer and the particular bearing size you could have something like 100 or more combinations of options. Seal type, clearance classification, tolerances (roundness etc), lubricant type and fill, bearing material, race material, surface treatments. The list is long and confusing. And if you select the wrong combination of options, extremely expensive. And that's just the catalogue.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Campagnolo cult bearing truly excellent. The freerer running is not why you buy them, it's the longevity. The cups and races don't gall like stainless bearing parts normally do. This is why I refuse to fit stainless balls in cup and cone hubs. Your better off with grade 10 chrome balls. In fact with normal cup and cone hubs these are the best bearings you can use.

Why is it enduro bearings seems to have a short life. I stripped a white industries hub yesterday. The rims have no wear so the mileage is not high maybe 1500 dry miles and all the shell bearings where very rough. I keep seeing this with enduro bearings.
Last edited by bm0p700f on Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mattr

by mattr

bm0p700f wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:58 am
Why is it enduro bearings seems to have a short life.
As an educated guess, i'd say it's as their marketing budget is far far bigger than their engineering budget.