Seeking feedback on New Madone 9.9

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

CanadianBiker

by CanadianBiker

pdlpsher1 wrote:Congrats. I hope those 22 days aren't business days :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ohh that's mean, I did not think of that... I hope not.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

russianbear

by russianbear

CanadianBiker wrote:
russianbear wrote:
CanadianBiker wrote:Another quick question, considering all the cabling is internal on the Madone is it a waste to go Etap at the same price as DA Di2? I've always ridden Shimano but I am very intrigued by Etap.

I'd say this is the perfect bike for Etap. 2 fewer cables and housings to run.

I only rode one very briefly, the most noticeable thing compared to my Ridley was the comfort afforded by the isospeed decoupler in the seat tube.

Thank you for feedback greatly appreciated, what kind of Ridley do you have?

Ridley Noah RS. Not exactly known for any kind of comfort by any means, I've got tubulars to smooth it out though.

da123

by da123

CanadianBiker wrote:DA123, I have to thank you for your amazing feedback today, after reading your review I pulled the trigger and ordered a 58 H2. I talked to the store about the rattling and they did tell me it was an issue on 2 of the bikes they've sold but they've figured out how to resolved it and showed me a floor model they had, here is hoping it's true if not I'll be visiting them soon.

@Calnago as for the size comment on the Etap, I agree it's a bit odd looking but I've spoken to a few friends that ride it and they swear by it, they are converts from Mechanical or UDI2 and would not ride anything else then Etap right now. I will take their word and give you guys feedback when I get the bike, unfortunately I have 22 days to wait before it's delivered... Something tells me it's going to be a long 22 days.

You're welcome. I'm sure you'll love the bike. 22 days isn't bad - I waited 6 weeks for mine, but I guess the UK probably has a longer lead time.

Which shop did you buy it from? It would be useful to know so that I can get my shop to contact them about their solution if I get the rattle back...

Cheers, Dave

TomHelly

by TomHelly

All Madone 9's come shipped with a length of foam tubing to combat cable rattle. You cut to match the length of the top tube (between the tube junctions) for the rear brake, and can also use a short length on the gear outer cables or Di2 wires where they run below the headset, down the head tube and into the control centre. Unfortunately the manual doesn't mention this, but I've had success keeping the bike totally silent this way. Also, I try and leave the outer cables as long as possible (slightly longer than manual recommends) to ensure that they bulge up against the tube walls and don't flap about. Di2 wire rattles can be silenced with more tubing or with several cable ties clipped so that the 'tails' push the wire against the tube walls, as you would do on other internally wired bikes. The manual is great for the Madone 9, but after having built ~20 of them now you do start to notice all the little nuances and tricks to make it work as well as possible. Hopefully this is useful info :D

da123

by da123

TomHelly wrote:All Madone 9's come shipped with a length of foam tubing to combat cable rattle. You cut to match the length of the top tube (between the tube junctions) for the rear brake, and can also use a short length on the gear outer cables or Di2 wires where they run below the headset, down the head tube and into the control centre. Unfortunately the manual doesn't mention this, but I've had success keeping the bike totally silent this way. Also, I try and leave the outer cables as long as possible (slightly longer than manual recommends) to ensure that they bulge up against the tube walls and don't flap about. Di2 wire rattles can be silenced with more tubing or with several cable ties clipped so that the 'tails' push the wire against the tube walls, as you would do on other internally wired bikes. The manual is great for the Madone 9, but after having built ~20 of them now you do start to notice all the little nuances and tricks to make it work as well as possible. Hopefully this is useful info :D

Great info, thanks for this. I will pass on to my bike shop. I'm sure they've been using the foam tubing, but for whatever reason, the rear brake cable rattle seems very difficult to eliminate completely (it is basically a big 'clatter' when you hit rough road surface)

rodebaron51

by rodebaron51

Anybody having pics of H2 60 and 62cm and H1 62cm?
Pascal

2012 Colnago C59 MTBK Camapgnolo Hyperon Ultra 2 and Campi SR11
2014 Merida Big 99 CF team fully
2015 Pinarello F8 Sky Campagnolo Bora Utra 2 and Campi SR11 EPS (RIP after crash)
2016 Trek Mad-One Limited Team Edition

Dagger9903

by Dagger9903

Now that Madone's are out in the wild AND EPS v3 is available, has anyone tried the combination? I cannot figure out if the EPS v3 battery / brain will fit (or can be made to fit, reasonably) in the junction box / battery compartment on the downtube.

rodebaron51

by rodebaron51

they claim its only Di2 compatible...
Pascal

2012 Colnago C59 MTBK Camapgnolo Hyperon Ultra 2 and Campi SR11
2014 Merida Big 99 CF team fully
2015 Pinarello F8 Sky Campagnolo Bora Utra 2 and Campi SR11 EPS (RIP after crash)
2016 Trek Mad-One Limited Team Edition

jeffy

by jeffy

wondered if anyone who has fitted up a Madone knows if the stack measurement comes up to point A or point B in the below image...

I am unsure because (what i think is the) aero top cap is very much designed to look like it is "part" of the frame

Convention would be that stack measurement would be to the top of headtube (beneath the topcap) - Point A, but i am unsure due to frame design.

Anyone know for sure? Probably makes 15mm or so difference (pretty significant for bike fitting)

CanadianBiker

by CanadianBiker

jeffy wrote:wondered if anyone who has fitted up a Madone knows if the stack measurement comes up to point A or point B in the below image...

I am unsure because (what i think is the) aero top cap is very much designed to look like it is "part" of the frame

Convention would be that stack measurement would be to the top of headtube (beneath the topcap) - Point A, but i am unsure due to frame design.

Anyone know for sure? Probably makes 15mm or so difference (pretty significant for bike fitting)

The measurement goes all the way to the top of B.

Mine is on order but it's going to be another 2-3 weeks before I get it. When I do I'll take a picture and show you but this was the same question I had when shopping the bike.

Dagger9903

by Dagger9903

rodebaron51 wrote:they claim its only Di2 compatible...

What I've seen is that EPS will work, but you can't use the built-in control area on the down tube. This was back when the bike was announced in 2015 though, before v3 was released, so I was hoping someone had tried to make it work with V3. I heard some rumblings of plans to do so back when, but haven't seen anything real.

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

pdlpsher1 wrote:da123, thanks for the review. Although I don't own a Madone I'm interested in hearing other people's experiences on an aero bike. And your experience matches my own. I also read your other postings and saw the pic of your bike. Very nice color and choice of equipment.

21mph is pretty impressive for a solo 80mi ride!

It's ironic that I weigh 62kg but rides a 7.8kg aero bike. But I really enjoy the aero benefit immensely.

One question for you. I don't see a pump nor a tool bag on your Madone. Where do you put these items on an aero bike? I'd like to hear about your solution if you have one. Thanks.

We have very similar bikes but mine is 6.6kg (without the bottle/cage, seat bag, and Garmin). I use the smallest seat bag I could find for my flat tire kit.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Lelandjt wrote:
pdlpsher1 wrote:da123, thanks for the review. Although I don't own a Madone I'm interested in hearing other people's experiences on an aero bike. And your experience matches my own. I also read your other postings and saw the pic of your bike. Very nice color and choice of equipment.

21mph is pretty impressive for a solo 80mi ride!

It's ironic that I weigh 62kg but rides a 7.8kg aero bike. But I really enjoy the aero benefit immensely.

One question for you. I don't see a pump nor a tool bag on your Madone. Where do you put these items on an aero bike? I'd like to hear about your solution if you have one. Thanks.

We have very similar bikes but mine is 6.6kg (without the bottle/cage, seat bag, and Garmin). I use the smallest seat bag I could find for my flat tire kit.

Thanks for the pics! Wow, that's a big bike with a slammed stem. My bike weight includes the tool bag, pump, and the Garmin. My tool bag is quite heavy. I'm now using a different tool bag than the one in the picture I posted earlier. I have big thighs and I cannot have anything attached to the seatpost that can cause rubbing. I do have a power meter so that adds a bit of extra weight. The wheel set is heavy. The wheels and the saddle could use a diet however I don't think I could handle a solid carbon saddle as I ride about 250mi. a week. I look forward to a set of decent wheels at are 200 grams lighter.

cyclenutnz

by cyclenutnz

jeffy wrote:Convention would be that stack measurement would be to the top of headtube (beneath the topcap) - Point A, but i am unsure due to frame design.

Per conversations with Trek engineer last week - frame stack is to point A
If you tell me your bar XY as well as width and reach of your current bars I can calculate how to match your position on a Madone 9

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jeffy

by jeffy

well that is two conflicting answers, no worries as i am just curious.

follow up, what is the reach and drop of the Madones integrated bars?