Best Aluminum Frames out

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

boysa

by boysa

Wookski wrote:
boysa wrote:@Wookski... Gorgeous bike. How is the frame finished? Is it raw, polished, painted?

The frame is a raw anodized finish- really industrial looking and quite cool

Thanks! I'm in the queue for a new frame, and I'm starting to contemplate the finish. I love the look of this. It says, "All business."
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

rmr40

by rmr40

Tinea Pedis wrote:I'm 77kg or so, harsh was my S2.

Harsh is not a CAAD10. Well it might be for you, but I don't know many who claim the same.

Contrary to Cannondales marketing, My CAAD 12 was harsh in comparison to my latest EVO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CPongpanich

by CPongpanich

Rose also makes some very good aluminium bikes.

Gehenna

by Gehenna

CPongpanich wrote:Rose also makes some very good aluminium bikes.

Their Xeon RS-2000 model claims a sub-kilo frame weight. Can someone confirm this?

Gehenna

by Gehenna

Gehenna wrote:

Their Xeon RS-2000 model claims a sub-kilo frame weight. Can someone confirm this?

Edit- I'm dumb and thought it was just that specific model. They claim this across their whole Xeon Rs line.

ichobi

by ichobi

I found the caad 12 to be surpringly confy, even with a mavic v shaped disc rims on. True, it still has that roughness vibration of alu frames but you have to focus to notice. It's not as snappy as high end carbon bikes but good enough, certainly better than most entry level carbon offerings.

boysa

by boysa

@ichobi... my thoughts exactly. I have no problem logging long hours on my CAAD10, but it certainly falls short in the "snap and pop" department.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

victorduraace

by victorduraace

Caad10 vs Aithein? Anybody own both?

topflightpro

by topflightpro

I've had a Caad 9, Caad 10, and Specialized E5 S-Works.

I liked the Specialized best, then the 9, then the 10, which would seem odd given that I like the newer ones less than the older ones. (I should add that I was running a Cannondale Slice Premium+ fork on the Specialized.)

I can't really quantify or qualify the differences, I just really enjoyed the Spec., and when it cracked, I replaced it with the 9, which I liked, just not as much as the Spec. I got the 10 to replace a System 6 that did not survive an encounter with a car. I've had it about a year now, I and I just can't get comfortable on it.

I think I am going to find an Allez Sprint under the tree in a couple weeks. I try to remember to report back on how it compares to the others.

Alumen

by Alumen

I have bought a CAAD10 simply because I understood from the various fora that it is the best aluminium frame out there. I even choose it over mainstream carbon frames.

With my 89kg / 1.90m lenght I can only admit that it is a very stiff, yet comfortable and well build frame indeed. It's definitely a keeper !

My previous aluminium frame was a Canyon. Somewhat less stiff and less comfortable compared with my CAAD10, but the frame build was also top notch. Overall very close to the CAAD10.
CAAD 13 Disc
CAAD 10 2015 R.I.P.
Kona Kahuna

28, the real 25

CPongpanich

by CPongpanich

Gehenna wrote:
Gehenna wrote:

Edit- I'm dumb and thought it was just that specific model. They claim this across their whole Xeon Rs line.

Not sure if it's a sub-kilo frame but here's a review of it by road.cc

http://road.cc/content/review/81979-rose-xeon-rs-3000

Clean39T

by Clean39T

Alumen wrote:I have bought a CAAD10 simply because I understood from the various fora that it is the best aluminium frame out there. I even choose it over mainstream carbon frames.

With my 89kg / 1.90m lenght I can only admit that it is a very stiff, yet comfortable and well build frame indeed. It's definitely a keeper !

My previous aluminium frame was a Canyon. Somewhat less stiff and less comfortable compared with my CAAD10, but the frame build was also top notch. Overall very close to the CAAD10.

Did you go with a 60 or 58?

Alumen

by Alumen

Clean39T wrote:
Alumen wrote:I have bought a CAAD10 simply because I understood from the various fora that it is the best aluminium frame out there. I even choose it over mainstream carbon frames.

Did you go with a 60 or 58?

A 60 indeed, combined with the specific CAAD10 geometry it is perfectly in balance with the length of my legs and upper body ! It feels like a glove.
CAAD 13 Disc
CAAD 10 2015 R.I.P.
Kona Kahuna

28, the real 25

Gehenna

by Gehenna

CPongpanich wrote:
Gehenna wrote:
Gehenna wrote:

Not sure if it's a sub-kilo frame but here's a review of it by road.cc

http://road.cc/content/review/81979-rose-xeon-rs-3000

Perhaps because the age of the article, what they say is the claimed weight is no longer Rose's claimed weight for the model. Been a bit more than three years so advance in the model is typical, but to think that they would develop an aluminum frame under the 1kg mark sounds so outlandish considering so many other makers out there only get around 1.2k. Lowest i've seen was about 1.1 for some ridiculously priced custom piece.

CPongpanich

by CPongpanich

I've checked on Rose's website and it says it suppose to weight in at around 995 grams. However, Rose tends to underweight their bike a bit. So I reckon the frame should actually weighs around 1000-1050 grams which I think is still impressive for an aluminium frame.

I have a carbon version of this frame (XEON CRS) and I can say that it is a fantastic race machine; aggressive, fast and corners brilliantly.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com