Cannondale Supersix Evo Hi Mod build - suggestions please

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

island

by island

Current : https://lighterpack.com/r/b56spf

Wheels
Still need to buy wheels and get this built up :)

Have been reading around and realise that at ~90kg this is towards the top end of 'normal' in cycling. Does this mean that most factory wheels are designed for a lighter rider (up to 70kg?) and therefore have a lower spoke count? (and not that suitable for 90kg of Clydesdale muscle).

++ So what factory wheels are stiff enough/suitable for 90kg riders?

++ And what wheels are not suitable? i.e what should I avoid?

From reading around my shortlist is:

Factory wheels

-- DA35 : good hubs / not massively aero / will fit 2015 SSEVOHM frame / rims wear fast?[possibly?] / good braking

-- Mavic Cosmic Carbon SLC : decent aero / decent rear spoke count [24] / not sure about hubs / decent braking

-- Fulcrum Speed 40 clincher : 18/21 spokes - too low? / similar to the SLC's?

-- Zipp 303's : heavier than the SLC's and Speed 40's for 5mm more depth / possible hub issues ?

-- (Roval CLX50 : light & deep / don't think the 29.4mm rims will fit my frame / 21 rear spoke count too low for my weight?)

-- Fulcrum Racing Zero (aluminium) : ~£500 ex-vat - tempted to get these just to get on the road. Then donate these to my CAAD8 daily bike once I get a carbon set for the SSEVOHM. 16/21 spokes... seems low for a 90kg rider? I currently use Zonda's from 3 years ago and haven't broken any spokes. How do the Zero's compare to the Zonda's?

I can get the 303's / SLC's / Speed 40's for about ~£1000 ex-vat.
The DA35's are about ~£800 ex-vat.

Non-factory
I looked at building up wheels from scratch for a ~90kg rider with the emphasis on durability / reliability.

The White Industry T11 seems to stand out as the go-to hub for heavier riders. 20/24 drilling for 40mm to 50mm carbon rims?

Schmolke SL45's look great but I am unsure how long they would last with a 90kg rider.
They are light and offer a 24/28 drilling with Tune Mig/Mag hubs. Also offer CX Sprint spokes in the drive side. Would probably come in at around 1350g+ and cost about £1250 to £1350 ex-vat.

Not much info on people trying them - so a bit of an unknown quantity in terms of performance / stiffness / suitability for the heavier rider. This is a little more than I hoped to spend too, but still on the list.

Velocite - Venn Rev 35 TCC : 1365g with Tune Mig/Mag / £954 ex-vat from DCR
Might be the best option in terms of price and might be able to get them built up with WIT11 hubs and a spoke count suitable for heavier riders. Have yet to contact DCR...

Any advice on the above?

Are there any wheels coming out in the next few months that I can add to the short list?

Thanks, Ed

willmac

by willmac

If you're worried about weight and longevity, why not go custom? If you're in the UK, Hope are solid hubs, perhaps not with the bling factor but strong and easily serviceable. You can spec your own spoke count, 28/28 would be ok for your weight I would imagine and your options are limitless in regards to rims. Want carbon? Boyd make some nice ones at competitive pricing. Alloy? H plus make some very nice rims and so do pacenti. Beauty of going down this route is you only need to replace your rims when they're shot as opposed to throwing the entire wheel out and starting again.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com