Cannondale Supersix Evo Hi Mod build - suggestions please

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

island

by island

I bought a 58cm Cannondale Supersix Evo Hi Mod (2015) recently and have been looking at how to build it up.

This is my thinking so far and I'd be grateful for any advice or if you notice something that won't work let me know.
I've never build up from scratch before so am open to anything and considering all ideas...

Looking to build up a bike for summer/dry use; non-race but I still like to hammer it; light but not breaking the bank; I weigh 92kg; good road surfaces here; rolling roads/not many hills.

Wheels
I've been looking at good clinchers rather than entry carbon/tubulars.
-> Campagnolo Shamal Ultra (clincher ~1425g £570 ex-vat)
-> Campagnolo Shamal Mille (clincher ~1425g £600 ex-vat)
-> DT Swiss RR21 dicut (clincher ~1415g £509 ex-vat)
-> Campagnolo Zonda (clincher ~1600g £214 ex-vat)

Currently leaning towards the Shamal Ultra but not sure what the differences are between the Shamal and the Zonda (have been using Zondas for the last couple of years).

Also toying with the idea of saving up for a better set in the future (ideally I'd like to plan for this now):
Carbon 35mm profile - possibly tubular.
-> Campagnolo Bora One 35

Groupset
Have always used Shimano but open to Campagnolo - especially with the wheel choices above!
-> Campagnolo Record (~2033g £840 ex-vat)
-> Campagnolo Chorus (~2125g £583 ex-vat)

I don't know these groupsets at all but if I was going Shimano I probably would have gone mechanical Dura Ace or Ultegra (the frame is non-Di2).
Are there any compatibility issues with these Campagnolo groupsets and the frame? I am a build newbie so don't laugh - just looking for reassurance!
I would consider Campagnolo Super Record (~1940g ~£1160 ex-vat) but am not sure the frame/my riding warrants it.
Is there much difference between Record and Chorus?

Or am I better off choosing Ultegra (~2295g ~£375 ex-vat) and spending more on a better wheelset? (non-Camp.)

I have been thinking about these options:
1 - Record + Zonda (+Bora at a later date) = £1055 (going to £1990 later)
2 - Record + Shamal = £1410
3 - Chorus + Shamal = £1153
4 - Chorus + Zonda (+Bora at a later date) = ~£800 (going to £1735 later)

(Obviously this would be cheaper with Ultegra but I would be joining the 'aesthetic dark side'... aesthetics are important).

Bars-Stem-Post-Saddle
I have looked at the following:

->Fizik Cyrano R1
bars - 205g - £128
stem - 128g - £56
post - 190g - £80
saddle - 145g - £130 (Arione R1 carbon)
saddle - 225g - £60 (Arione)

Not sure if I am too heavy for the carbon rail saddle or if the price is worth it?

-> Deda Superleggera
bars - 180g - £120
stem - 100g - £58
post - 180g - £78
saddle - Fizik

Currently using the Fizik Arione standard and have used Fizik saddles for a while and find they suit me. Happy to look at Selle I guess?

Anyway, am keen to get buying some of this gear so I can get on with the build before the summer arrives so if you have any advice I would be grateful.
Many thanks,
Ed

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Get a full DA9000 build with these wheels: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=13063482 ;)

Cockpit being Deda SL will be quality. I've just got a Fizik Arione 00, love it. Fizik really do make the comfiest saddles!

FYI, my Arione 00 came in at 145g, the R1 will be around 160g.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

burglarboycie

by burglarboycie

I would go with Dura Ace 9000 with Hollowgram cranks and spidering. As for wheels, maybe some Carbon clinchers from Farsports with DT Swiss hubs. And for cockpit, the Zipp components in the beyond black colourway look awesome!
Whatever you decide upon it will be a great bike and be sure to share some pics with us.

island

by island

Thanks - think I will try a Campagnolo groupset for this bike.

I was looking at the Shamal wheels (and Bora One's...) and noticed that there is a C17 Shamal coming out soon.

My understanding is that the C17 is designed for a 25mm tire.
From reading around a bit it seems that the 23mm GP4000sII actually comes in at 25mm.

Would the Shamal C17 pair well with a 23mm GP4000sII or would the 25mm be better?

Also - would this even fit the Supersix Evo frame? I have read of rubbing with tires larger than 23mm?

What wheel/tire combo's do people use with their Supersix Evo's?

Thanks,
Ed

Delorre

by Delorre

Put 23mm conti's on those c17 rims. Perfect match. 25 is quite big in Conti and can cause some rub on the rear of a supersix HM. A teammate has 25's in the front, but only 23 in the back becaue of rubing.

stormp

by stormp

Shamal is a brilliant choice wether you choose mille or ultras doesnt matter to me. The ultras has a bit more height and the mille has the black brakingsurface. I've ridden the mille's and they were amazing on both flats, descends and ascends.

rheosibal

by rheosibal

I would do..

Shamal mille's, Chorus group, but Record RD and brakes. SiSl2 crankset. Deda cockpit, Fizik saddle (stick to what works). Best bang for the buck right there.
Instagram: joserheo

|| Mosaic RT-1 || Cannondale Evo || Cannondale CAAD10 ||

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

I don't think it's right putting high end Euro parts on an American frame.

That's like putting Zipps on a Colnago C60, you just wouldn't do it.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

Hi Ed,

I have a pair of 23mm GP4000sII on Stans Alpha 340s which have a 17mm inner width and they come up to 25.4mm wide. Fits my 2014 SuperSix. Your choice of Shamal Ultra is a good one, I've had them before and they roll very well.

I like that our framesets have the option of a proprietary crank and for that reason I went with Cannondale cranks on my build. Have you tried riding, for comparison, any model bike with Campy SR11 vs Shimano DA9000? The ergonomics on the campy felt better which I expected but something about the way DA works just makes so much sense to pick it over the Italians. I find replacement components to be more affordable as well.

I ended up with SRAM red for my build as I was trying to keep the weight to a minimum but my "heavy" bike has DA and I love how it just works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Focus Izalco Max - 4.84kg without pedals
Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg
Trek Madone SLR Rim - 7.73kg
Standert Triebwerk Disc - 8.47kg

stormp

by stormp

ryanw wrote:I don't think it's right putting high end Euro parts on an American frame.

That's like putting Zipps on a Colnago C60, you just wouldn't do it.

Your totally right, zipps on a colnagoen doesnt work. But american frames hasnt got that nostalgic feel to them, I think that is a-okay!

island

by island

OK.. getting there!

I've been reading about the PF30 BB.

Am I right in thinking that I will have issues or have to use adapters if I go with a Campagnolo crankset?

I like the look of the SiSl2 crankset but initially ignored it because my plan was to buy a complete groupset and I didn't want to be left with a spare Campy crankset. I'm guessing it is more expensive to buy the SiSl2 crankset and then the individual components for the rest of the drive (but I did get the frame in the sale for £625 :) )

I like the look of the Chris King PF30 and the Hawk racing one too.

So Shimano uses 24mm crankset spindles, SiSl2 crankset is 30mm and Campagnolo is 25mm...

Will look around for a decent PF30 and possibly the SiSl2 crankset if I can find a good price on it. I reckon that this is the best path mechanically? (Or at least the simplest solution likely to have minimal issues with creaking / adapters etc)?

junchen

by junchen

Sisl2 crankset, though good, is likely to be far more expensive than the super record, dura ace, or red crankset., at least based on the eBay prices that I saw.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

wingguy

by wingguy

Yep. SISL2 retails at £750, SR £600, DA £400 and Red £360.

And since SISL2 as aftermarket parts are much rarer than the others you generally wont find anywhere near as much discount on them either.

Junior7

by Junior7

My choice (of your items):

Groupset: Chorus

Wheels: Shamal Mille

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

island

by island

The Hawk Racing BB has an option for 30mm (SISL2) or 24mm (Shimano)

The Chris King is 30mm but with adapters, down to 24mm.

I was hoping to avoid adapters as I reckon that would be a potential point of creaking.

The SISL2 with Hawk or CK would be perfect but the prices.... but too much for me I think.

What is the best BB option / route to take for Campagnolo? Is there a BB that can be used without adapters?

Still thinking about the CK + SISL2...