Cannondale Supersix Evo Hi Mod build - suggestions please

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Lieblingsleguan

by Lieblingsleguan

My 2015 SuperSix Evo non-Himod (also size 58) has 29mm of clearance between the chainstays where the tire sits. A 23mm GP4000 SII should measure about 25mm on a 17mm inner width rim and should be OK, the 25 is most likely to wide.

With the frame came some 3m protective patches that are 0.3mm thick and quite strong. You can protect the paint with them if you want to try out a combination that you are unsure off.
I use 25mm Veloflex Masters (exactly 25mm wide on a 15mm inner width rim) and 24mm Specialized S-Works Turbos.

A friend of mine got heavy chainstay rub using the stock wheels and stock 25mm tires. The European Cannondale Support didn't want to warranty the frame at first claiming it only has clearance for 23mm tires... :roll:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DeLuz

by DeLuz

I have an EVO and put Chorus 11 speed on it I really like it.
I used a Campagnolo Overtorque crankset which fits directly into the PF30 BB.
It isn't the best design, but it works. I would suggest going with the adapter and standard Chorus crankset.
For wheels I would suggest custom build with Pacenti SL23 rims and White Industries T11 hubs or Tune hubs.
Pacenti are really the best alloy rims out there and the build will be better than any off the shelf wheel and easier to maintain.
November wheels has a budget version of these wheels called Nimbus that uses a version of the White Industries hubs which not as nice looking as the T11 hubs.

island

by island

I seem to be stuck on the BB question at the moment!

I think if I didn't want Campy wheels then I'd just go with a CKing PF30 and DuraAce.

I did just see this : http://www.praxiscycles.com/product/conv-bb-campagnolo/
Has anyone tried that with a Campagnolo Record crankset and the SSEvo?
It looks like a good solution but I know nothing of ultra / over / power torque - am guessing that the new 2015 Campy crabksets are ultra torque.

Are the Praxis bearings any good?

I also have been looking at SISL2 - the cheapest I can find it for new is £458 ex-vat.
SISL2 - 484g - £458
Record - 651g - £306
Chorus - 683g - £227
DuraAce - 636g - £225
Ultegra - 694g - £105
(The DA actually looks the best value/weight.)

If I went with SISL2, would it work with Campy as well as Shimano?

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

I use an S-Works crank in my Evo. Weight, stiffness both excellent (I sanded off the logos to make it more suitable for a non-spesh frame, also they had heel rub anyway).
Last edited by 4ibanez on Wed May 11, 2016 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

4ibanez wrote:I use an S-Works crank in my Evo. Weight, stiffness both excellent

And these tend to be cheaper than the SiSL2
Focus Izalco Max - 4.84kg without pedals
Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg
Trek Madone SLR Rim - 7.73kg
Standert Triebwerk Disc - 8.47kg

island

by island

Right - going to buy a Chris King PF30 and a SISl2 - life is short, it's only money :)

I'm 6'2" / 90kg - guessing I need a 50/34 and 172.5mm ?

Thanks,
Ed

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

Just curious but why the CK bb?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg

island

by island

@VTR1000SP2 - from reading around it looks like the CK PF30 is reliable / serviceable / smooth / works well. Do you think there is a better option?

Finger on the trigger for the SISL2 - is 50/34 with 172.5mm right? This is what I have been using on my CAAD8 (tiagra cranks) but have been questioning everything at the moment (as you can see from this thread...getting there).

Thanks,
Ed

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

Hi Ed,

Just curios as anything CK is costly. As for chainring size and crank length, if you find that works for you then why change. Give you an example. On my himod I've got 50/34 and 172.5 but prefer the 52/36 and 170 I have on my Ti road bike. All this after being on 53/39 with 175 cranks since I got into cycling.

My reason for changing was age and knee pain.

Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg

island

by island

@VTR1000SP2 - I can get all parts ex-vat so the CK PF30 is something like £125. (Easy to find online too - UK shops).
From reading a few threads on PF30's the other likely options are Hawk Racing which is about $120 plus postage from the USA - probably £85+pp.

What BB did you go for?

What else should I consider?

I'm liking the fact that you can swap out the chain rings quite easily on the SISL2 - I've seen spare ring pairs for £126 ex-vat - so I could change to 53/39 or 52/36 relatively easily.

Does anyone know if when buying a new SISL2 crankset whether it comes with the chainset lockring tool to attach the rings to the cranks?

Thanks,
Ed

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

I ended up with the OE bb and haven't had issues with it.....yet.

Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg

MisterMuncher

by MisterMuncher

In my experience, the OE BB (Aluminium cup FSA PF30) is a bit of a mess. Fine out of the frame, but a draggy nonsense when pressed in. NDS cup was slightly oversize, too. YMMV, obviously, but I changed for a Wheels Manufacturing Angular Contact PF30, which did require an extra shim for preload, but spins like a ceiling fan. I used a SiSL crank, BOR rings, Ultegra group. Drive side clearance on the front derailleur is tight but workable.

You've done the right thing buying a Hollowgram. It's just not right to use anything else on that frame. From memory, the crank doesn't include the tools, which is a pain. They are expensive and it stinks of Cannondale putting the arm in, but there are cheaper options available.

gravity

by gravity

I'm runnning Chorus and Zonda on my BMC. Never got any urge to upgrade at all. Never think that this set up slows me down nor higher end parts can make my riding more efficiently.

island

by island

Cranks
Bought a SISL2 crankset - they only had 172.5mm / 52/36 in stock so I went for that.
Emailed a few places and it seems either stock is low or out or they want to sell the SISL2 for ALOT!
Cost me £458.
Bought the crank removal tool (KT013) too and am looking for the ring tool (KT012) at a better price.

I didn't realise that it came with bearings so will probably try those first.
Have emailed Ard at Kogel ... waiting for a price.

Bars..bars..baaaars.
Have been looking at the Deda Superleggera and 3T Ergonova Team but from what I've read people have had issues with the Deda SL. I'm no lightweight so am tempted to try and find something a tiny bit more robust.

Looking at the Haero 145 RR SL and the Ritchey 260 bars too.

I'm 92kg and sometimes lean on the bars a bit for a sprint / hill - hard to work out how much pressure I put on them? Always had aluminum bars so carbon bars will be new to me. Any advice?

Current bars on my CAAD8 measure 440mm (centre to centre) / 140mm drop (centres) / 85mm reach (centres) with e 110mm stem. It's all stock Cannondale I think - it came with the bike.
They are comfortable for me but I don't know whether that is due to habituation!
Thanks,
Ed

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

Hi Ed,

Well done on the cranks!

I currently have an ENVE road compact 44 and the DEDA Superleggera 42 on my bikes. Have previous experience with 3T Ergonova and Ergosum. I'm not light not am I heavy at 73kg but I can't flex either bar in a sprint or climb. The stem is another story. ENVE stem on my Ti bike is solid but on my weight weenie Cannondale, the kalloy stem does flex. The DEDA bar feels much stiffer and transfers more road buzz than the ENVE. Reach and drop are a personal preference so I won't comment on that.

Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg