Q36.5 Gear

Kit Brand Talk. Everything under the sun, including sunnies!
lirek15

by lirek15

I love new cycling kit (who doesn't :lol:) and was searching for something different and unique for my winter/spring riding this year.
I stumbled upon Q36.5, a small Italian company run by the former head of R&D at Assos, through Above Category and ordered some pieces a few months back.
In particular, their Hybrid Q long sleeve jersey, the L1 Vest, their funky looking base layer and a pair of their premium bibs. I have to say that this stuff is absolutely like nothing I've worn before! I've been using Castelli, Rapha and Assos over the years and the quality and uniqueness of the materials Q uses (I believe they're proprietary to them) is unparalleled IMO. The gear weighs half of what a typical garment from the big brands weighs (a plus for us weenies), fits like a glove and most importantly keeps you dry and warm (something that was hard to believe when you first put it on as it's so lightweight). Yes the price is premium, but I firmly believe that you get what you pay for!
I just wanted to share my experience with fellow weenies on here that are looking for something fresh to wear this year.
I am based in Canada and until now had to go through AC or Italy for this but it looks like there's a shop out in Toronto, Alpha Velo (alphavelo.cc), that now sells this online and offers free shipping too (will give them a go for the summer stuff as going through Italy or US you get hit with FX charges and duties).

Cheers

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

afalts

by afalts

Just fyi, pretty much any shop in Canada can get Q36.5. They are distributed by Vellendtech, which pretty much any shop can open an account with on a whim.

tonytourist

by tonytourist

I bought my friend the L1 vest and it is a quality piece. I need to buy some bibs to try out.

uraqt

by uraqt

I bought a Base Layer 2 short sleeve through Above Category, and it really really good. So far I haven't used in the heat .. but I have worn in the rain a few time in NorCal and when Q36.5 says "Body Temperature Stability Guarantee = Above 15 °C" I can confirm that in cold that is true.. in fact if it works in the heat I am going to say it's magic ...

There is a very good chance that it's going to replace my wool base layers, and that when my body paint short are worn out I will be trying Q36.5.

C

I hated to pay the big money and take the risk like I did with Assos, (god the pad in the S5 bibs sucks.. when it get wet is useless...) but I am glad that I did and I reasonably sure the guys @ Q36.5 know what they are doing...

lirek15

by lirek15

Absolutely, the base layers are fantastic. I was very skeptical at first, as they seemed so thin and light but after wearing them on the road I could not believe how perfectly they regulate body temps. I have to say the their flagship bib, the Salopette L1, is the best bib I've tried. You won't regret it uraqt.
Afalts, I believe that Alpha Velo have exclusivity rights for this line in Canada for 2016 (based on my query to Q36.5 this year on where to get it in Canada) so Vellendtech are not involved anymore.

Cheers
Lirek

Vagabond

by Vagabond

I'm an admitted Assos fan boy. Their stuff for me simply works fantastically. That said, I think for jerseys this year I'll try a Rapha and one Q36.5. I really like plain solid jerseys and Assos isn't offering any. Above Category is a very cool shop with great people. When I get around to ordering one I'll do so from them. OP, does the Q line compare to Assos with respect to size? Or did you go smaller or larger? Thanks.
Colnago e Campagnolo

afalts

by afalts

lirek15 wrote:Afalts, I believe that Alpha Velo have exclusivity rights for this line in Canada for 2016 (based on my query to Q36.5 this year on where to get it in Canada) so Vellendtech are not involved anymore.

Vellendtech has the 2016 catalog on their site, and still lists themselves as a distributor. Not that Alpha Velo might not also be. :noidea:

Bottom line, agreed, it's top notch stuff!

lirek15

by lirek15

Vagabond,
Sizing is pretty much bang on in line with Assos.
I wear XL in Assos bibs and L in their jerseys. Same with Q.

Vagabond

by Vagabond

Thanks.
Colnago e Campagnolo

mrgray

by mrgray

i have the standard bib (sapolette?) and as they say, it is very firm at first (and frankly uncomfortable). however around 10 washes in it sort of transforms. i'm all assos for bibs and now this is my favourite. it also seems it will be very hard wearing. s7 assos bib got holes in the arse and i'm not a year in on those so don't know what's going on there. they were instantly comfortable however.
Bobo S&S Steel Bike - 7.5 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg
Look 695 SR :D

gswfan

by gswfan

Q36.5 is fantastic.

Have used Assos forever, great stuff as well. Nothing new here in terms of feedback for Assos, proven winner.

Q36.5: ( sizing IMO similar to Assos)

Salopette Essential L1 Bib short : So far after 10 rides or so fantastic, superlight, very different material than Assos, I will have to see how they last vs Assos. Both jersey and bib shorts, after hand washing, they dry so fast its amazing.

Jersey SS L1 : Super light, comfortable, quick easy wash. All black however, sweat stains appear very fast for some reason vs a black Assos, my guess is due to the material, nonetheless super comfortable. Totally different material feel from Assos. Again concern is how long they will last vs similar Assos.

Gloves: Summer, if prefer minimal padding this glove is for you. IMO the fleece area to wipe nose etc, is not very soft. For me I prefer Assos gloves, which for me last forever. The Q36.5 gloves are very comfortable, for me I prefer assos for the fleece, area and a bit more padding.

Baselayer 2 : Fantastic, super comfortable, I wear this more than Assos now, no doubt way more comfortable for me.

Vest: L1 Essential camo : The Best !!! in addition the slit pockets to access jersey pockets is a great idea.

Preshape Arm and Knee Warmers : Super comfortable, no complaints. For some great reason the knee warmers for me do not slip down, tough to feel that they are knee warmers and not a knicker feel.

micky

by micky

Just to let you guys know, Q36.5 gear is almost unknown here in Italy.
The first time I saw something related to this brand was from a Canadian shop instagram account.

gravity

by gravity

^

From what I have gathered, Italians are not too crazy for Made in Italy products. Is this true in your experience?

mrgray

by mrgray

now have long sapolette and baselayers (seamless). extremely good. also got their jersey (hawaiian) and it is a fantastic fit and design. i think these guys are really making a very nice product. highly recommended!
Bobo S&S Steel Bike - 7.5 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg
Look 695 SR :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

micky

by micky

gravity wrote:^

From what I have gathered, Italians are not too crazy for Made in Italy products. Is this true in your experience?

It most cases it depends on price tag.
As we're talking of clothing, you will rarely see italians buying cycling clothing with no logo/etc as a good 75% will be using local teams/clubs kits (99,9% made in italy).