Q36.5 Gear

Kit Brand Talk. Everything under the sun, including sunnies!
steveadore

by steveadore

This is a question for anyone who has used the Termica X (newer versions, without the vertical seam running down from the knee to the shins) winter bib tights? How easily can the front be pulled down for short 'nature breaks' (i.e. peeing) for men? The front panel seems to cover quite a bit of the belly area and there's no zip, so I guess it's a matter of how stretchy the straps and the fabric in that area actually are. It's the single reason why I'm hesitating to order them

jdecraene85

by jdecraene85

(double post, forgot to quote)
Last edited by jdecraene85 on Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jdecraene85

by jdecraene85

steveadore wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:35 am
This is a question for anyone who has used the Termica X (newer versions, without the vertical seam running down from the knee to the shins) winter bib tights? How easily can the front be pulled down for short 'nature breaks' (i.e. peeing) for men? The front panel seems to cover quite a bit of the belly area and there's no zip, so I guess it's a matter of how stretchy the straps and the fabric in that area actually are. It's the single reason why I'm hesitating to order them
I have 2 pairs of the Long Salopette L1 X, not the Termica. I like them a lot. On the images of the official site, the front looks identical. The front of the Long Salopette L1 X can easily be pulled down for a sanitary stop.

steveadore

by steveadore

jdecraene85 wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:58 pm
steveadore wrote:
I have 2 pairs of the Long Salopette L1 X, not the Termica. I like them a lot. On the images of the official site, the front looks identical. The front of the Long Salopette L1 X can easily be pulled down for a sanitary stop.
Thanks a lot, that sounds promising :D How high is the front anyway? In the photos it looks very high (though the new Adventure tights are even higher), but I haven't found any photos showing a person wearing them. Do they come up to the navel or even higher?
I have some old Gore bib tights with equally high front, but those have a zipper at the top

jdecraene85

by jdecraene85

steveadore wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:14 pm
jdecraene85 wrote:
steveadore wrote:
Thanks a lot, that sounds promising :D How high is the front anyway? In the photos it looks very high (though the new Adventure tights are even higher), but I haven't found any photos showing a person wearing them. Do they come up to the navel or even higher?
I have some old Gore bib tights with equally high front, but those have a zipper at the top
https://www.bike-magazin.de/bekleidung/ ... 76/3948274

Found this picture online. This is more or less how high the front comes for me too, maybe a little less. But the height is deceivable, I find them easy to pull down. I also have two pairs of the warmer version of the Assos winter tights (with the neoprene on the ankles), but I prefer the Q36.5.

steveadore

by steveadore

jdecraene85 wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:04 am
steveadore wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:14 pm
jdecraene85 wrote:
steveadore wrote:
https://www.bike-magazin.de/bekleidung/ ... 76/3948274

Found this picture online. This is more or less how high the front comes for me too, maybe a little less. But the height is deceivable, I find them easy to pull down. I also have two pairs of the warmer version of the Assos winter tights (with the neoprene on the ankles), but I prefer the Q36.5.
Thanks, that's a great picture. In fact, I even read the whole test article from that issue of Bike magazine, and I was surprised that they claim the Q36.5 is not that warm. They say that it's not warm enough because it is only lightly lined/insulated and not windproof (even though the test actually featured the more expensive Termica L1 X, which is supposed to be both warmer and more windproof than the non-Termica L1 X). And that German test only recommends it for temperature above +5 C (whereas the official Q36.5 site info gives a temperature range of -5 to +5 degrees). I really wonder if the magazine tested the L1 X and mistook it for the Termica version?
In any case, the cut of both versions in the stomach area (Termica and non-Termica) should be the same.
Honestly, I'd buy the Assos Ultraz as it really fits me well and looks quite warm and windproof but I'm wary of pilling issues. And the Dyneema panel on the Termica L1 X is definitely sturdier in that regard

jdecraene85

by jdecraene85

steveadore wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:42 am
Thanks, that's a great picture. In fact, I even read the whole test article from that issue of Bike magazine, and I was surprised that they claim the Q36.5 is not that warm. They say that it's not warm enough because it is only lightly lined/insulated and not windproof (even though the test actually featured the more expensive Termica L1 X, which is supposed to be both warmer and more windproof than the non-Termica L1 X). And that German test only recommends it for temperature above +5 C (whereas the official Q36.5 site info gives a temperature range of -5 to +5 degrees). I really wonder if the magazine tested the L1 X and mistook it for the Termica version?
In any case, the cut of both versions in the stomach area (Termica and non-Termica) should be the same.
Honestly, I'd buy the Assos Ultraz as it really fits me well and looks quite warm and windproof but I'm wary of pilling issues. And the Dyneema panel on the Termica L1 X is definitely sturdier in that regard
Your suspicion that they tested the regular thights might be correct. Iirc there's not much information on the labels of the thights.
I find them more then warm enough for moderate intensity rides between 0° and 10° (but maybe that's personal), and the panel on the outside of the sitting area is indeed a lot more abrasion-resistant than on the Assos thights.

steveadore

by steveadore

jdecraene85 wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:05 pm
steveadore wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:42 am
Your suspicion that they tested the regular thights might be correct. Iirc there's not much information on the labels of the thights.
I find them more then warm enough for moderate intensity rides between 0° and 10° (but maybe that's personal), and the panel on the outside of the sitting area is indeed a lot more abrasion-resistant than on the Assos thights.
I'm not sure, honestly. The guys at the German Bike magazine are very meticulous and the listed weight in the test corresponds to the Termica version. And actually the Termica won that comparative test. But they still mention that it's for above +5 degrees only, which is what Q36.5 themselves give for the non-Termica version

samuele22100

by samuele22100

I was able to touch the thermal x tights and the fabrics used are very warm.
for the winter I use the wolf 2.0 and leg warmer and I don't have any cold problems.

steveadore

by steveadore

Ordered the tights, will report when I get them :)

Pato

by Pato

Got the Termica X 3 weeks ago, was actually thinking about nature breaks before buying them but they are actually quite OK, way easier than their unique bibs which are the worst I had in that respect.

steveadore

by steveadore

Pato wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:51 pm
Got the Termica X 3 weeks ago, was actually thinking about nature breaks before buying them but they are actually quite OK, way easier than their unique bibs which are the worst I had in that respect.
Thanks, that's reassuring. I guess that high front panel covering the stomach must be quite stretchy then.

JKolmo

by JKolmo

It’s a lot more stretchy on the Unique compared to the L1 X and the Termica L1 X.

Pato

by Pato

I find the Unique a lot more rigid on the upper part compared to the Termica L1 X, as a matter of fact from all the Q36.5 bibs I owe, I find the Unique the most uncomfortable to ride with in general. The difference is not the material but the Unique has a sealing on the upper part making it way harder to stretch.

steveadore

by steveadore

I have just received my first pair of Termica Long Salopette. They look and feel fantastic, but I am a bit worried about the sizing at the fit. I am 179 cm tall, 71 kg, with a waist size of 84 cm and hip circumference of 95 cm. I normally wear size M cycling clothes, and I already have two pairs of Q36.5 Gregarius Ultra bib shorts in size M too (they fit perfectly).
I have ordered these Termica winter bib tights in the same size, Medium. The length and the waist width seem ok, but there are many horizontal creases/folds along the vertical seams on both the inside and outside of my legs. Here some photos:
t.jpg
t3.jpg
t2.jpg
t1.jpg
Is this "normal"? Or is it because the tights may be too big for me? I have relatively slim lower legs (from the knee down), but my thighs are average for my size. And I'm not sure that one size smaller (Small instead of this Medium) would even fit me (it could be too tight and too short). Could anyone chime in?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com