Q36.5 Gear

Kit Brand Talk. Everything under the sun, including sunnies!
steveadore

by steveadore

MarginalChains wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:34 am
I blindly ordered M in the Unique gloves, as that's what I take in Rapha which most of my other gloves are. Having to return for an S as Medium is definitely too big for me.
Thanks, this is exactly the input I've been looking for :thumbup: Would you mind sharing your palm circumference (measured at the base of the thumb where the webbing starts, as per the Q36.5 size chart)?

MarginalChains

by MarginalChains

steveadore wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:38 pm
MarginalChains wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:34 am
I blindly ordered M in the Unique gloves, as that's what I take in Rapha which most of my other gloves are. Having to return for an S as Medium is definitely too big for me.
Thanks, this is exactly the input I've been looking for :thumbup: Would you mind sharing your palm circumference (measured at the base of the thumb where the webbing starts, as per the Q36.5 size chart)?
I don't have a tape measure to hand but I remember measuring it, looking at the q36.5 size chart and thinking if I'd gone by the chart I should have ordered small to begin with. So it must have been in that 20-21cm range.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sychen

by sychen

steveadore wrote:
sychen wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:30 pm
Those unique gloves are great.. But fit weird.
Have to size down.. Or you feel like your hand is swimming in it.. But not like other gloves that are too big.. Still works and doesn't bunch up with pressure points.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
So did you go one size down from your normal size then? Did you follow the Q36.5 size chart?
I had a small which was as recommended by the chart.. But it was just a bit odd (roomy). Had a crash and wrecked. Ordered the xs and it fits better. I also have their Anfibio winter glove and it's normally sized compared to a unique.. A small fit me nicely.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

steveadore

by steveadore

Thanks to both of you. Lesson learned, I definitely won't size up (as I was inclined to do initially).

jeffy

by jeffy

TL;DR just buy Assos

disclaimer : i bought Q 36.5 bibs. they're good .... but higher end Assos is better

probertsqbe

by probertsqbe

jeffy wrote:TL;DR just buy Assos

disclaimer : i bought Q 36.5 bibs. they're good .... but higher end Assos is better
Which model of bibs did you buy from each manufacturer?

CyclingGiraffe

by CyclingGiraffe

probertsqbe wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:21 pm
jeffy wrote:TL;DR just buy Assos

Which model of bibs did you buy from each manufacturer?
Second this; what model of each were they? I have both Cento Evo and RS S9 bibs from Assos, and while overall good, they each have their issues. I've been eyeing picking up a pair of Q36.5 bibs for the summer season, but hate to spend the $$$ on something that might end up a bust.

jgman

by jgman

Both Assos and Q36.5. bibs are way to expensive. Prefer Castelli over both for value

jwaal

by jwaal

g32ecs wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:33 pm
Yes I got my Air Insulation from RoadKit. I think they offer free returns anyway (?)

What did size did you end up buying?

Another day with the AI yesterday. Looking to get at least 5yrs out of that jacket. Very happy here.
I'm keeping the medium L1 Pinstripe. It fits like a second skin which I'm not used to since I haven't raced road in years. It reminds me of how my skin suit top used to fit. The large felt a little too long and a bit loose (I'm 174cm tall, chest 39"/99cm, athletic build - lots of cross-country skiing and some weights) . When I bend over the zipper forms a wave (if that makes sense). The large jersey is also a little loose in some areas and given how thin the material is, it will end up flapping a bit at speed. The L1 is going to be my hot weather jersey which we get a lot of in the interior of BC. If I had one thing to change, it would be a slightly looser neck. That said the tightness disappears when I drop the zipper an inch which I will be doing anyways in hot weather.

I'm a 31" waist, 37" hip, 66 kg and purchased the Gregarius Ultra bib in a medium and am quite happy with the fit. I wish all bib short makers would provide the hip dimensions which Q36.5 doesn't. Then again, Castelli provides this in their charts and I'm theoretically a small but found the medium I tried in-store to be tighter than I cared for. There was no large to try on. I emailed Peter at Roadkit with my dimensions and he suggested medium in the Gregarius - good call.

I also got the Base 2 short sleeve base layer in a S/M and that fits really well and has an appropriate length for a cycling base layer. Some of my other non cycling specific base layers are on the long side. Finally I also purchased a Gobik Pacer LS jersey in large and that also fits very well. The neck is a touch loose but I'd rather that than a touch tight. I compared it to a Pearl Izume thermal jersey in M that I have and the neck is just as loose. I hadn't noticed it because the rest of the jersey isn't as snug on me as the Gobik. I'd say the Gobik jersey size range works better for me than the Q36.5 as I'm somewhere in the middle of the large. I found a chart somewhere that said a large is 97-102cm for Gobik.

Hopefully all these numbers will help someone else my size with their decisions.

CyclingGiraffe

by CyclingGiraffe

jgman wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:51 pm
Both Assos and Q36.5. bibs are way to expensive. Prefer Castelli over both for value
Castelli stuff usually looks good and performs well, but I haven't had great luck with durability. As for bibs specifically, I have a pair of Castelli Free Aero 4 bibs and they're not bad. Materials are good, the leg grippers don't ride up at all, and the scorpion logos actually stay put (unlike years past!). I like that the chamois is both smaller and denser than most chamois nowadays -- I actually find it quite comfortable -- but would appreciate a little more front coverage. Also, the "v"-cut opening in the back of the chamois led to the different layers of foam delaminating withing a couple of rides/washes. Perhaps the worst aspect is the straps, which don't lay flat and are cut curiously narrow. Those Castelli bibs retail for US $200, and can sometimes be had on sale for $150. Assos RS S9 bibs retail for $250, and I think I bought my pair on sale from a well-known US-based online retailer for $179. For that price difference, I think the Assos is worth it.

I have a couple of Q36.5 jerseys as well as a pair of summer gloves and like them, particularly their apparent durability, so was looking at potentially buying a pair of their bibs.

misteryellow

by misteryellow

jwaal wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:30 am
g32ecs wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:33 pm
Yes I got my Air Insulation from RoadKit. I think they offer free returns anyway (?)

What did size did you end up buying?

Another day with the AI yesterday. Looking to get at least 5yrs out of that jacket. Very happy here.
I'm keeping the medium L1 Pinstripe. It fits like a second skin which I'm not used to since I haven't raced road in years. It reminds me of how my skin suit top used to fit. The large felt a little too long and a bit loose (I'm 174cm tall, chest 39"/99cm, athletic build - lots of cross-country skiing and some weights) . When I bend over the zipper forms a wave (if that makes sense). The large jersey is also a little loose in some areas and given how thin the material is, it will end up flapping a bit at speed. The L1 is going to be my hot weather jersey which we get a lot of in the interior of BC. If I had one thing to change, it would be a slightly looser neck. That said the tightness disappears when I drop the zipper an inch which I will be doing anyways in hot weather.

I'm a 31" waist, 37" hip, 66 kg and purchased the Gregarius Ultra bib in a medium and am quite happy with the fit. I wish all bib short makers would provide the hip dimensions which Q36.5 doesn't. Then again, Castelli provides this in their charts and I'm theoretically a small but found the medium I tried in-store to be tighter than I cared for. There was no large to try on. I emailed Peter at Roadkit with my dimensions and he suggested medium in the Gregarius - good call.

I also got the Base 2 short sleeve base layer in a S/M and that fits really well and has an appropriate length for a cycling base layer. Some of my other non cycling specific base layers are on the long side. Finally I also purchased a Gobik Pacer LS jersey in large and that also fits very well. The neck is a touch loose but I'd rather that than a touch tight. I compared it to a Pearl Izume thermal jersey in M that I have and the neck is just as loose. I hadn't noticed it because the rest of the jersey isn't as snug on me as the Gobik. I'd say the Gobik jersey size range works better for me than the Q36.5 as I'm somewhere in the middle of the large. I found a chart somewhere that said a large is 97-102cm for Gobik.

Hopefully all these numbers will help someone else my size with their decisions.
How are you liking the Gregarius Ultra? I'm interested in it as well.
''Just because something is possible, doesn't mean it's a good idea. It will add unnecessary complexity with little, if any, real benefit. Part of the beauty of this sport is the lack of hand holding & arse wiping.'' - ultimobici

Flasher

by Flasher

Been using both Base Layer 2 & 3, amazing bits of kit, very impressed, I don't own anything else Q36.5 but that will change for sure :thumbup:

jgman

by jgman

CyclingGiraffe wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:41 pm
jgman wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:51 pm
Castelli stuff usually looks good and performs well, but I haven't had great luck with durability. As for bibs specifically, I have a pair of Castelli Free Aero 4 bibs and they're not bad. Materials are good, the leg grippers don't ride up at all, and the scorpion logos actually stay put (unlike years past!). I like that the chamois is both smaller and denser than most chamois nowadays -- I actually find it quite comfortable -- but would appreciate a little more front coverage. Also, the "v"-cut opening in the back of the chamois led to the different layers of foam delaminating withing a couple of rides/washes. Perhaps the worst aspect is the straps, which don't lay flat and are cut curiously narrow. Those Castelli bibs retail for US $200, and can sometimes be had on sale for $150. Assos RS S9 bibs retail for $250, and I think I bought my pair on sale from a well-known US-based online retailer for $179. For that price difference, I think the Assos is worth it.

I have a couple of Q36.5 jerseys as well as a pair of summer gloves and like them, particularly their apparent durability, so was looking at potentially buying a pair of their bibs.
Try the Castelli superlegerra bibs....nice compression, great pad, longer legs, super lightweight and breathable. My favorite summer bibs. Q36.5 bibs are very nice too.

jwaal

by jwaal

misteryellow wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:43 pm
How are you liking the Gregarius Ultra? I'm interested in it as well.
I haven't ridden in them yet. I received them on Monday and I'm saving them for my really long rides.

jwaal

by jwaal

I received the Q36.5 Adventure shoes on Tuesday. It's the most $$$ I've spent on shoes and they are super comfortable. Unfortunately they are going back. The right shoe is noticeably larger than the left shoe. I ordered size 44 in the Mango Orange and the left foot is nice and snug when I've wearing a Smartwool ultra light sock. On the other hand, I can slide my index finger behind my right heel when wearing the same sock. My right foot is about 2mm smaller than my left and I'm used to having the right foot a touch looser. This, however, is a big difference. I've sent Roadkit pictures illustrating the difference and they've contacted the head office regarding the issue. So hopefully I'll hear back soon

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com