Q36.5 Gear

Kit Brand Talk. Everything under the sun, including sunnies!
Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

steveadore wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:31 pm
If you disregard the price, fabric, and constructions differences, which one would you choose between the Gregarius Ultra and the Dottore (X) purely based on comfort and long-term durability (both for road and MTB)? I have the Ultras and quite like them and I wonder if I should buy a second pair or upgrade to the Dottore. I don't race and the compression on the Ultras is plenty enough for me. The Dottore is tempting, but the older L1 version lacks the Dyneema C Cup interface of the Ultra, and the X version, is about 40% more expensive (but it has the Dyneema panel). I'm not sure I would like the straps of the Dottore though (I'm quite happy with those on the Ultra, where the front is similar to Assos S7). And some have mentioned that the chamois pad on the Dottore is thinner than the Ultra. Lastly, someone also complained about the Dottore fabric pilling after a few hundred kms (I can't remember if it was the X version with Dyneema or the L1 without). Any comparisons would be really appreciated. Thanks.
I recently emailed them and asked about their chamois differences, and this is the reply I got, with a nice pic for comparison, you may find it useful.

"All our bib shorts have similar chamois regarding the thickness and only differ in a few millimeters. Our newest chamois and regarding thickness, also the thickest is included in the Gregarius Ultra and the Gregarius Cargo. It is called anatomic, is super molded and adapts to the body and also has a better breathability (then the one we are using for the Dottore) due to some perforation. The UNIQUE bibs do have a different chamois as well, this is the most breathable, because it has a different fabric in the front, which guarantees the most breathability. Also the Dottore and the Dottore X differ in the chamois. The Dottore X and Dottore have almost the same chamois, but the chamois from the Dottore X is sued and from the Dottore not. Also the not sued one is used for all the tights.

On the left upper corner you can see the chamois we use for the Dottore classic and all the tights. The right upper corner is the chamois from the Dottore X. The left corner below is the UNIQUE chamois and the right corner below is the newest anatomic, which is used in the Gregarius cargo and Gregarius Ultra and which I would recommend for your special needs."
CC330F3A-BF4A-4F29-97D7-0869FB7F8AA5_1_201_a.jpeg
Bike24.com has a sale on some of the shorts now btw.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

steveadore

by steveadore

Kayrehn wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:18 am
I recently emailed them and asked about their chamois differences, and this is the reply I got, with a nice pic for comparison, you may find it useful.

"All our bib shorts have similar chamois regarding the thickness and only differ in a few millimeters. Our newest chamois and regarding thickness, also the thickest is included in the Gregarius Ultra and the Gregarius Cargo. It is called anatomic, is super molded and adapts to the body and also has a better breathability (then the one we are using for the Dottore) due to some perforation. The UNIQUE bibs do have a different chamois as well, this is the most breathable, because it has a different fabric in the front, which guarantees the most breathability. Also the Dottore and the Dottore X differ in the chamois. The Dottore X and Dottore have almost the same chamois, but the chamois from the Dottore X is sued and from the Dottore not. Also the not sued one is used for all the tights.

On the left upper corner you can see the chamois we use for the Dottore classic and all the tights. The right upper corner is the chamois from the Dottore X. The left corner below is the UNIQUE chamois and the right corner below is the newest anatomic, which is used in the Gregarius cargo and Gregarius Ultra and which I would recommend for your special needs." CC330F3A-BF4A-4F29-97D7-0869FB7F8AA5_1_201_a.jpeg
Wow, this is fantastic, thanks!!! I've tried to obtain similar info from them (Laura and Elena are always very helpful via email support), but this is more detailed than I got (my question wasn't very specific, though).
1. What are your "special needs" they refer to when saying the Gregarius Ultra might be the best for those? Are you primarily interested in comfort (thinking chamois thickness)? Or something else?

2. The perforations in the front (similar to the Assos S7 Evo Kraterkooler) have only been introduced with the 2021 "Must have revised" version of the Gregarius Ultra, the one that is currently available direct from Q36.5. The pre-2021 version of the Gregarius Ultra has a similar pad, but without perforations, and that's the one that most other shops (including Bike24) still stock (leftovers from last year, earlier this year). I asked Q36.5 a couple of weeks ago about the differences between the 2021 and pre-2021 chamois in the Gregarius Ultra, and I was told that besides the front perforations, the new chamois was "even more 3 dimensional and therefor adjusts better to the body", whatever that means. I wonder if it's worth trying the new Gregarius Ultra or just getting the pre-2021 older version? I don't miss the extra perforations in the summer and apart from eco-conscience, I'm not too crazy about the new model material being 100% recycled either. So unless the new chamois is also significantly better ("more 3D"???), it might make more sense just getting the older version on sale (although the price reduction is not that big at all)

3. I'm not quite sure about the Dottore vs Dottore X (also vs Gregarius) chamois differences. The chamois being "sued" I guess means "sewn" in, right? I can see the two longitudinal seams in the center of the Dottore X chamois (and the Unique too). But the Dottore X chamois also seems to be thinner in the back than the classic Dottore in the images.

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

I told them I was looking for a solid chamois for my carbon saddle and that I live in the tropics. But I don't ride in the middle of the day so the lack of perforations on the older chamois isn't a problem for me.

Sent from my SM-A125F using Tapatalk

steveadore

by steveadore

Kayrehn wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:46 pm
I told them I was looking for a solid chamois for my carbon saddle and that I live in the tropics. But I don't ride in the middle of the day so the lack of perforations on the older chamois isn't a problem for me.

Sent from my SM-A125F using Tapatalk
I see. And you didn't consider the Dottore, did you? I'm not quite sure why its chamois has those 2 large cutout sections in the bottom layer, but I doubt it adds to comfort.
Btw, the older chamois on pre-2021 Gregarius Ultras seems to be the same as the classic Dottore (upper left corner image). So the main difference is that the new 2021 anatomic chamois has a perforated bottom layer at the back as opposed to a solid one

ttl

by ttl

steveadore wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:22 pm
I asked Q36.5 a couple of weeks ago about the differences between the 2021 and pre-2021 chamois in the Gregarius Ultra, and I was told that besides the front perforations, the new chamois was "even more 3 dimensional and therefor adjusts better to the body", whatever that means. I wonder if it's worth trying the new Gregarius Ultra or just getting the pre-2021 older version? I don't miss the extra perforations in the summer and apart from eco-conscience, I'm not too crazy about the new model material being 100% recycled either. So unless the new chamois is also significantly better ("more 3D"???), it might make more sense just getting the older version on sale (although the price reduction is not that big at all)
Perhaps they are referring to the different densities? The area under the sit-bones is thicker than the rest and the part at the front starts tapering from the inside out.
Attachments
Gregarius pad
Gregarius pad

steveadore

by steveadore

ttl wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:58 pm

Perhaps they are referring to the different densities? The area under the sit-bones is thicker than the rest and the part at the front starts tapering from the inside out.
Is this the new 2021 version?

ttl

by ttl

steveadore wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:56 pm
ttl wrote:

Yep! These are the "cargo" version - but apart from the pockets they are exactly the same (they are even labelled as Gregarius Ultra).

steveadore

by steveadore

ttl wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:05 pm
steveadore wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:56 pm
ttl wrote:

Yep! These are the "cargo" version - but apart from the pockets they are exactly the same (they are even labelled as Gregarius Ultra).
Yes, I see the Cargo Gregarius has the same features as the 2021-revised normal one (recycled fabric, new chamois). Have you also used the previous version of the Gegarius Ultra so that you could compare them in terms of comfort (the new chamois is supposedly a bit thicker and more anatomically shaped) and materials used?

ttl

by ttl

steveadore wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:46 pm
Yes, I see the Cargo Gregarius has the same features as the 2021-revised normal one (recycled fabric, new chamois). Have you also used the previous version of the Gegarius Ultra so that you could compare them in terms of comfort (the new chamois is supposedly a bit thicker and more anatomically shaped) and materials used?
No, I only have the latest version. I have a pair of Assos S9: I think the leg grippers are better on the Gregarius and I have a small preference for the slightly ticker pad.

bontie

by bontie

Hi, some advice re sizing please.

Is there a big difference between L1 and R2 sized jerseys?

I have an R2 (Team Gelato) jersey which fits rather “aero” (tight), should I size up
In L1?

Tia

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jwaal

by jwaal

If you're in Canada, Roadkit is currently having a sale. 15% off 1 item, 20% off 2, and 25% off 3. The sale isn't currently mentioned on the website but the discount is automatically applied to the cart. Sale ends on Friday. They, of course, sell Q36.5 apparel.

topt

by topt

has anyone tried the unique shorts so far ? are they worth that much more that dottore.
Also a quick point, I got a good deal on the Assos Houdini roadsuit which is basically S9 bibs and aero jersey sewn together. Q36.5 dottore is at least a level above Assos in my opinion but I do think Assos is more durable.

topt

by topt

double

samuele22100

by samuele22100

I want to ask the owners of the AIR INSULATION jacket a question.
from the photos I found on the web, the front of the bust is made of uf hybrid shell fabric combined with a wool insert.
the front of the sleeves, on the other hand, what material are they made of? from what I have seen they do not have a wool insert and therefore I was wondering if they had a windproof fabric composition?
what material is on the back of the jacket?
I am undecided whether to buy the THERMAL JACKET risking it being too hot or the air insulation
thanks to those who can answer me

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spartan

by spartan

picked up a pair of Salopette Gregarius Ultra. great quality product by why WHY do they still adhere mid length design circa 2010. a longer option should be offered for every model.
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7