New dura-ace R9100

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:53 am
Keep in mind old Shimano MTB cassettes use 10spd spacing. The M9100 12spd freehub driver fits onto existing DT Swiss hub shells.
Oops. You are correct. So it looks like only the 11-speed wheels are compatible with the 12-speed.

I just hope I can keep my Campy Boras when I upgrade to 12-speed.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ooo

by ooo

shimano also released new 11sp mtb group (FH-M9125) to make even spoke tension:
microspline with 12sp = same body width, microspline with 11sp = narrow freehub body

calculated by neko
'

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

I want to remove Di2 assembly from ST-R9170. Anyone knows what direction to unscrew this bolt? It rotates a bit in both directions and then stops. Both up/down paddles rotate around it, maybe some sort of preload or thread lock prevent removal?
Attachments
ST-R9170 left, lever rear
ST-R9170 left, lever rear

Valy

by Valy

Has anyone exprienced issues with ghost shifting from the smallest two cogs up? I reset the tension on cable and no matter what I do, there is only fractional pull on first click up from the smallest cog.

Just happenned after changing a chain. Had the bike on the train but all limits seem correct and free movement of mech has full range.

rebem

by rebem

Valy wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:53 pm
Has anyone exprienced issues with ghost shifting from the smallest two cogs up? I reset the tension on cable and no matter what I do, there is only fractional pull on first click up from the smallest cog.

Just happenned after changing a chain. Had the bike on the train but all limits seem correct and free movement of mech has full range.
Yes, I've had it from the smaller two cogs when I've used a waxed chain and there's an amount of wax buildup between these cogs. Just check to make sure there's nothing in between the cogs with a small screwdriver.

Valy

by Valy

Image attached... 3000 km and dejavu . Scumbag Shimano 😄.

Used to get this like clockwork every 2000 km on 6700. Replaced polymer coated cable with stainless steel and shifting is pretty good, can't notice a difference but this is coming off a frayed cable.

Thanks for reply
Attachments
2022-11-17 13_26_47-Фотография - Google Фото — Mozilla Firefox.png

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

I have Shimano mechanical on my gravel bike which I watch like a hawk, but other than that, this is why I will not use shimano mechanical. In extreme cases, where terrrain demands constant shifting, I have seen friends cut clean through their shift cables in 1500 - 2000 km. At 3000 km I'd be changing cables every month or two. Not good. The thing that really pisses me off is that Shimano knows about this and has done nothing about it in 15 years. Never had a Sram or Campy cable fray let alone snap, including some with 20,000 km +. When I do change them, the cables are pristine. It's just the housing that wears.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

kode54

by kode54

When I had Shimano mechanical, I was careful with housing and how it was cut. I also made sure that I used a grinder and flat file to smooth the cut ends and that they were flush to the inner lining. Since I did that, never had any issues with frayed or snapped shift cables. Campy? My friends Record group had two frayed cables that snapped in a ride. I never inspected his housing since a LBS took care of his repairs. So, not to dis any manufacturer, it happens.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

@kode54
hmm, the cables that snapped on me, and same for my riding buddies, came apart in the shifter housing. I had always assumed that something in the mechanism that spooled up the cable during shifting was abrasive, too sharp a bend, etc. I've only ever ridden with properly trimmed housing so no experience with breakage in locations other than the shifter. Maybe things are better with the latest iteration from Shimano (but I have said that before).
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

The cable usually break inside the shifter, even before it reach any cable housing.
So, housing filing have nothing to do with this problem.

The problem is especially bad with Shimano 9000 shifter.
Slightly improved with 9001 (minor change after 9000). And seems to be mostly solved with 9100 shifter.